Neeed help beginner here! Lol

ReefBoy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I need a little help if anyone would be so kind, I new to all this so maybe a silly question for most on here but I’ve just started my first ever tank yesterday and I’m on the 2nd day of cycling, however I did use the dr tims all in one, so I’m thinking how long do I need to cycle before I put my first fish in? And also when do I need to start testing the water for ammonia nitrates and nitrites? I’ve only tested the water salinity atm which comes in at around 35 ppt which I think I’m right by saying is on check. Thanks in advance for a y advice guys I’m waiting

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You added Dr Tims and some ammonia to grow the bacteria. What is the ammoina level now? Dr Tims recommends 1ppm to 2ppm

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You added Dr Tims and some ammonia to grow the bacteria. What is the ammoina level now? Dr Tims recommends 1ppm to 2ppm
+1 and I recommend salifert test kits

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Section 5 is about cycling.

OP
OP
R

ReefBoy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added dr tims all in one yesterday day 1 and I’m asking how long do I need to cycle before adding my first fish? And I don’t know my ammonia levels as I haven’t tested any of the parameters yet only water salinity??

OP
OP
R

ReefBoy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont test ammonia then you have no idea if the tank can process the ammonia caused by feeding fish.
This is what cycling is all about

OP
OP
R

ReefBoy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont test ammonia then you have no idea if the tank can process the ammonia caused by feeding fish.
This is what cycling is all about
Hi Lapin, thanks for your reply, yes I completely understand you have to test your tank but as I’ve just started I weren’t sure of when I was supposed to start testing. But I’ve been told now to test regularly through the cycle period. So I test the ammonia today using the api master saltwater test kit and it’s at 0.50 ppm on the chart I know that’s not where it should be as I’ve spoken to my LFS today but they have said during a cycle the tank will spike and go up and down and to do a water change and just be patient. If you could give me any more advice that would be much appreciated thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved a lot and started 6 saltwater tanks from scratch. My advice.....skip the fake bottles of crap, put in a raw piece of shrimp and wait a month before putting anything in the tank. "Real" live rock helps also. Most of the rock I see at LFS are just wet dry rock.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back