Neptune Apex EB832 Reliability

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently invested in a ton of Apex equipment for our 300g reef... Two EB832, two DOS, a FMM, a Trident, and I'm not done yet. I have more to buy. Now that I'm already well into it, I am a little concerned about the quality of the EB832 as compared to the apparent quality of the older EB8 after having read a bunch of reviews on BRS. Are a lot of these really failing around the 2 year mark, or are the bad reviews a case of a very small percentage of failures disproportionately skewing the reviews in a negative way. I know that dissatisfied customers are much more likely to write a bad review as opposed to happy customers writing a good review, but this is life support equipment. These power supplies should be made with only the highest quality components because they are the heartbeat behind a tank full of living creatures, not to mention thousands and thousands of dollars investment.

I'm just a little concerned based on reviews. What does the group say? Is the internal quality of the EB832 lower than that of the older EB8?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the very detailed EB832 repair threads here which point out specific components that have failed:

I've heard rumors that newer EB832's contain higher quality components than the older ones, but I don't have any documented proof of that.

I own two EB832's from 2018, and I have not had any problems with them.

If you're new to the Apex, be sure to read my series of Apex Tutorials to get the most out of your system:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EB832 and just about all of Neptunes products are not the kind of life support equipment I would want to be put on. The EB832 has a very low cost Power supply built into it. It also has an issue in that the power supply also supplies accessories that are plugged into the ports. If the Accessory has a short or draws too much current it can take down the Powerbar and that in turn can take down the whole controller. Then there are the unexplained bug events that happen with the Apex. You may not have one happen for a year and then suddenly a Plug turns Off or On on it's own. No big deal if it's your lights, but a major problem if its a heater or chiller.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running two EB832s since Aug 2017. I had my first failure earlier this year on one of them. It was the issue talked about and repaired in this thread. Otherwise they have been very solid for me. Neptune System gave me the option to send in the fried EB832 to get fixed or to buy a new unit at a much reduced price. I opted to do both and now I have three EB832s.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Apex for about 4 years - Apex, COR20, FMM, PMUP, EB832

About a year ago the power supply brick for the COR 20 blew. I got a new one from BRS and it's worked fine ever since.

About 2 weeks ago the 120V outlets on my EB832 quit working, the same issue @Oberst Hajj had. I repaired it myself and it's working perfectly again.

Those are the only issues I've had other than programming errors that were my own fault.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had eb832, dos, feeder, and 2 waves all fail within 3 years... all out of warranty and all had to be replaced at a "discount " because not repairable... if I had to do it all over again wouldn't have wasted my money on these products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darwin stinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, recently I had my EB8, EB832, and Head unit stop talking. However the head unit does power up using the power monitor plug. The EB832 is completely dark but if you plug it into the head unit it comes to life but still doesn't talk to the head unit, nor does the EB8. The EB832 is newer as it now has a Meanwell 12vdc power supply and the circuit board is a different design then the 2017 that failed on me a while back. If you can steer me in trying to repair it, cool or PM on what you charge to make repairs. Thanks,

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, recently I had my EB8, EB832, and Head unit stop talking. However the head unit does power up using the power monitor plug. The EB832 is completely dark but if you plug it into the head unit it comes to life but still doesn't talk to the head unit, nor does the EB8. The EB832 is newer as it now has a Meanwell 12vdc power supply and the circuit board is a different design then the 2017 that failed on me a while back. If you can steer me in trying to repair it, cool or PM on what you charge to make repairs. Thanks,
If this was directed at me, check your PM, I responded a few days back.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently invested in a ton of Apex equipment for our 300g reef... Two EB832, two DOS, a FMM, a Trident, and I'm not done yet. I have more to buy. Now that I'm already well into it, I am a little concerned about the quality of the EB832 as compared to the apparent quality of the older EB8 after having read a bunch of reviews on BRS. Are a lot of these really failing around the 2 year mark, or are the bad reviews a case of a very small percentage of failures disproportionately skewing the reviews in a negative way. I know that dissatisfied customers are much more likely to write a bad review as opposed to happy customers writing a good review, but this is life support equipment. These power supplies should be made with only the highest quality components because they are the heartbeat behind a tank full of living creatures, not to mention thousands and thousands of dollars investment.

I'm just a little concerned based on reviews. What does the group say? Is the internal quality of the EB832 lower than that of the older EB8?
So as not to repeat myself, here's my post discussing some of this. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...-on-reliable-power-strips.836694/post-9048540

I also have several posts and videos detailing ongoing issues with EB832 and related modules. In my opinion, the 12v PSU problem warrants a class action. The 12v buck converter and the CAN transceiver take close second and third place. The older EB8 had it's own issues with triacs, but overall was less complex and more reliable.

Darwin stinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you all might want to see what caused my APEX Head unit and EB832 to go bad, what you see is the AFS which shorted out everything. I bought new but I'm looking at trying to have it repaired.

Attachments

• AFS.jpg
    AFS.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 80

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you all might want to see what caused my APEX Head unit and EB832 to go bad, what you see is the AFS which shorted out everything. I bought new but I'm looking at trying to have it repaired.
Looks like a blown CAN transceiver. I don't remember if this is a 5V or 3.3V version but I do have a repair article and a video on the subject:

Darwin stinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just found that my two DOS units are blown too. I like APEX Gear, but having all you eggs in one basket and having one thing failing or get wet and it takes down the whole thing. In my case I replaced the HEAD and EB832 and then just today finding out that my AFS and two DOS are blown, which has resulted in me loosing me $1600 dollars.

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nothing but trouble with my Apex. While it is a cool tool - the quality is awful. I have gone through countless sensors (eventually just gave up on the ATO after so many replacements), my probes are constantly needing calibration, and last week my EB just stopped supplying power (never got an alert, either). My unit is about 2 years old. I am in the process of replacing it. I refuse to send them more money. It is a shame, because you can do really amazing things with it - but if the quality is lacking - you can not trust it to do those things without risking the life of your aquarium inhabitants.

Fatcobra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two EB6 for 220V, one from 2018 and the othe from 2019 with no problems.
I need to buy a third one and i think that i will buy the older version wich is made of metal instead of the crappy plastic in the newer version.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nothing but trouble with my Apex. While it is a cool tool - the quality is awful. I have gone through countless sensors (eventually just gave up on the ATO after so many replacements), my probes are constantly needing calibration, and last week my EB just stopped supplying power (never got an alert, either). My unit is about 2 years old. I am in the process of replacing it. I refuse to send them more money. It is a shame, because you can do really amazing things with it - but if the quality is lacking - you can not trust it to do those things without risking the life of your aquarium inhabitants.
Curious what happened to the EB8 in your case. I assume it's not the newer plastic EB832?

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the EB832 - sorry should have specified. It just stopped working entirely. Lights are on - but no power to any of the plugs. Thankfully I was home when it happend, and my tank is lightly stocked - I went down to look at it mid afternoon and the tank was completely off.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the EB832 - sorry should have specified. It just stopped working entirely. Lights are on - but no power to any of the plugs. Thankfully I was home when it happend, and my tank is lightly stocked - I went down to look at it mid afternoon and the tank was completely off.
I though so. That's the most common issue with those. Are you having it replaced under warranty or fixed?
I could either fix it for you as per https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/another-attempt-at-fixing-apex-eb832.804717/
Or buy it off of you as is if you are interested.

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me take a look later today - I may be back in touch - thanks!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back