Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3yrs with the "new" apex and into its second build and not a single issue. besides taking the conductivity probe readings with a grain of salt. (haha )

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few problems with my APEX, but overall I like it. I have a few thoughts and I am ready to be kicked off the forum after these lol.

1) Purpose built hardware/software especially in niche markets is always extremely expensive. The APEX is inexpensive compared to other control systems in the IT/computer industry for really any market. For the average consumer (including myself), it is very expensive, but in the grand scheme of what you are asking it to do, they have sacrificed some hardware reliability for a better price point IMO.

2) There is a consumer bias with Neptune. If your product is working great, there is less of a chance that you will go to a forum and talk about it compared to someone who just had a complete breakdown on Thanksgiving day haha.

Neptune support has been good to me so far, and although not as bullet proof as I would love (I have plenty of disappointments in the hardware), it is about as reliable as I expect at this price point.

All that to say, I wish the PMUP, sensors, and DOS motors where built better.

Those are just my thoughts, and a side note, I completely understand why some people don't like the system and are frustrated with it, it is a very expensive investment for an average person like me and most people on here.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a reboot. I only get that if there is a power flicker/outage. I would try plugging it into a UPS. This is the one I use, https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...SEC-755-GOO-[59350046099]-[294061588957]-S-[]

Mine is less than 6 a months old and having issues right now.has disconnected from fusion 12 times in last 24 hours and last night while I was sitting there it totally shut down and restarted all by itself shutting all the pumps and stuff down. Not sure if its the head unit for the bar

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Neptune 2016 models both have been great. I think a lot of the problems maybe due to humidity and moisture. I keep both of mine in their own cabinets away frim the tanks

I'd agree with this. I have an enormous amount of Neptune equipment and only ever had an issue with 1 optical sensor. I keep all my electronics away from moisture / humidity and also run cooling fans.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems this post has really picked up again! To add to my Neptune woes, my COR20 died in November, fortunately I had a spare but again this took two weeks to replace. So in the past 12 months they've had to warranty replace two Apex units, two optical sensors and one COR 20 for me (I didn't bother returning my WAV's that are making a high-pitch squeal!). It would be more comforting if they gave a reason when something goes wrong, other than... 'It died.'. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next year and how European 2-year consumer warranty comes in to play.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, how long does the warranty replacement take in the US? Part of my frustration is the 2-weeks it takes to swap out faulty goods ion the UK.

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I credit the Neptune Apex to be one of the reasons I have been able to be successful in this hobby.

My Apex Classic has been running flawlessly for 6 years straight - no problems whatsoever. It saved me on a dozen occasions from leaks, malfunctions of other equipment, etc.

My DOS has been running my auto water change for 4 years with absolutely no issues.

I am shocked to hear of the issues in this thread. Are those of you who are having issues using the 2016 Apex?
With me, I loved my older one yes. No issues with it what so ever. Sense I got the EL I have hated it sense one month into it. I wish I would had never let my older one go with my old tank that i sold. But it is just like buying a car, this person has issue after issue till they will never buy another Ford and the next will not have anything but a Ford.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I credit the Neptune Apex to be one of the reasons I have been able to be successful in this hobby.

My Apex Classic has been running flawlessly for 6 years straight - no problems whatsoever. It saved me on a dozen occasions from leaks, malfunctions of other equipment, etc.

My DOS has been running my auto water change for 4 years with absolutely no issues.

I am shocked to hear of the issues in this thread. Are those of you who are having issues using the 2016 Apex?

Well after I wrote the above, my Apex Classic appears to have failed.

The heartbeat feature alerted me in the middle of the night - disconnected from Fusion.

Apex unit solid green light, Ethernet plugged in green and orange lights.

Control pad is blank with only backlight

All other modules are blinking green or orange.

I attempted unplugging aquabus to remove power to the Apex unit. I also rebooted my router. Nothing has worked, still blank screen, solid green light on Apex but no connection to Fusion.

Also unable to connect to the network address of the Apex directly from my network.

Everything else connected to my network works fine. I put in a ticket with Neptune and am waiting to hear back.

Anyone have any ideas in the meantime, appreciate the help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well after I wrote the above, my Apex Classic appears to have failed.

The heartbeat feature alerted me in the middle of the night - disconnected from Fusion.

Apex unit solid green light, Ethernet plugged in green and orange lights.

Control pad is blank with only backlight

All other modules are blinking green or orange.

I attempted unplugging aquabus to remove power to the Apex unit. I also rebooted my router. Nothing has worked, still blank screen, solid green light on Apex but no connection to Fusion.

Also unable to connect to the network address of the Apex directly from my network.

Everything else connected to my network works fine. I put in a ticket with Neptune and am waiting to hear back.

Anyone have any ideas in the meantime, appreciate the help.
Did you try completely resetting the unit - unfortunately - this means you will lose some programming. Also - how long did you leave the unit unplugged? Hopefully Neptune will be able to help

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about the Classic specifically but it is unusual for electronics to fail after working for so long; unless zapped of course. When they do fail it is almost always the power supply. If the Classic is powered similar to the current Apex them it is DC. Try a stand-alone power supply.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not able to access the display module or the IP address. How would I reset besides unplugging?

I unplugged for a couple minutes.
is your display totally blank still? if not - you have to do it by the display/. How are you trying to access the IP address - through the apex app? or ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is an app that you shoudl download from the Neptune site - I tried to find the link - I know its there - I've found it before - I'm sure even people that love Neptune would say that their troubleshooting 'manual' is horrible. But - using that App you can search for Apex's and get the IP (to be sure its correct) - and reset it , etc

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display is still blank.

Trying to access ip on computer by typing in apex IP address.
i have this same issue. On my wifi router, I see the router assigning an IP to the Apex, but the ethernet connection is never fully established. Either the firmware is so corrupted that the ethernet power won't work or there's been a hardware failure on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back