Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

U

User1

View Badges
Assuming you know the IP of the device be it book mark from previous, router table, Et al, you then opened a browser and went to http://192.168.1.1xx/ and should see a login page. If you do not see the login splash screen, and "apex local" title on the tab something else is wrong. If you have a call set up they will isolate it for sure. They are pretty good but I also know everyone has different experiences.

Example:

1578002336155.png

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you know the IP of the device be it book mark from previous, router table, Et al, you then opened a browser and went to http://192.168.1.1xx/ and should see a login page. If you do not see the login splash screen, and "apex local" title on the tab something else is wrong. If you have a call set up they will isolate it for sure. They are pretty good but I also know everyone has different experiences.

Example:

1578002336155.png
Yeah, I can't pull up the local control screen. I can tell the IP address from the router table, but the ethernet connection is never fully established.
IP.PNG

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I'm sending mine in for repair. Hopefully it's fixable.
I picked up a used base unit for $50. He was able to get that one going. The original unit appears to have some sort of hardware failure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They got me up and running last night as well. The tank is 95% back to where it was before the failure. Now, I just need to determine if it is worth it for me to send the faulty unit in for repairs.
I was in your boat - they ended up needing to replace 2 chips (at their cost) - I would send it in - use temporary measures in the meantime.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in your boat - they ended up needing to replace 2 chips (at their cost) - I would send it in - use temporary measures in the meantime.
I was able to purchase a used unit that we got running last night. None of my stuff is under warranty, so all of the cost would be mine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was able to purchase a used unit that we got running last night. None of my stuff is under warranty, so all of the cost would be mine.
Yeah - mine was not under warranty either - but it was a manufacturing defect (as compared to wear and tear) - and so they replaced the chips at no cost. It cant hurt to check:)

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - mine was not under warranty either - but it was a manufacturing defect (as compared to wear and tear) - and so they replaced the chips at no cost. It cant hurt to check:)
Good to know. I was on the fence before, but you may have just convinced me to send it in. He did say that since my unit was a Apex classic, he did not know if they would have all of the parts on-hand to perform a repair. Still a gamble, I guess.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know. I was on the fence before, but you may have just convinced me to send it in. He did say that since my unit was a Apex classic, he did not know if they would have all of the parts on-hand to perform a repair. Still a gamble, I guess.
Oh I forgot it was a classic - mine was a 2016. Seems to me that the classics are more reliable.

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever tested Neptune flow sensor accuracy? I have a mix of 2”, 1” and 1/2”, always taken the readings as given... Added a 1/4” sensor to my RO line today... The reading gave an average 9.7 litres per hour - But it filled my 105 litre RO tank in just over 6.5 hours... That’s quite a difference! Got me thinking how far out are the other sensors? At this level of inaccuracy, they are pretty much pointless!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever tested Neptune flow sensor accuracy? I have a mix of 2”, 1” and 1/2”, always taken the readings as given... Added a 1/4” sensor to my RO line today... The reading gave an average 9.7 litres per hour - But it filled my 105 litre RO tank in just over 6.5 hours... That’s quite a difference! Got me thinking how far out are the other sensors? At this level of inaccuracy, they are pretty much pointless!

Those paddle wheel / Hall effect flow sensors are not all that accurate and they restrict flow.
The accuracy you are seeing cannot be applied to other sensors on your controller, they are much more accurate! Unless you are referring to the 2" to 1/2". Those are probably also going to be off but from other post not as bad as the 1/4" results you are seeing.

It's a pity that they did not include a calibration option in the controller. I looked online and people using the generic 1/4" version of that sensor with Arduino's. They seem to indicate that a 30-50% offset is required to get a somewhat accurate readings. The only other thing you could try is moving the wire away from any other electrical source to see if that has any effect.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those paddle wheel / Hall effect flow sensors are not all that accurate and they restrict flow.
The accuracy you are seeing cannot be applied to other sensors on your controller, they are much more accurate! It's a pity that they did not include a calibration option in the controller. I looked online and people using the generic version of that sensor with Arduino's seem to indicate that a 30-50% offset is required to get a somewhat accurate readings. The only other thing you could try is moving the wire away from any other electrical source to see if that has any effect.
But - either way - itsnt the issue = not the flow itself

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But - either way - itsnt the issue = not the flow itself

Not sure if I am following. I assume you mean the sensor is the problem. At the price point that these sensors are selling for I guess that accuracy across the rated flow range is impossible, but that does not mean you cannot pad the results within a narrow range and get a reasonable reading in that small band. These things are coming out of China at $4, there is nothing much more.we can expect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The restricted flow is one thing (Although I have a Neptune support email somewhere that says they don’t!). The wire is still coiled and sitting on the tank, nowhere near anything electrical until it plugs to the FMM.

The accuracy being off by 40% is my major complaint. At that level, the product is not fit for purpose (or sale!).

I will raise a Neptune ticket to see what they say about this, expect they’ll want to warranty replace my brand new item with a reconditioned one - that will give the same result!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if I am following. I assume you mean the sensor is the problem. At the price point that these sensors are selling for I guess that accuracy across the rated flow range is impossible, but that does not mean you cannot pad the results within a narrow range and get a reasonable reading in that small band. These things are coming out of China at $4, there is nothing much more.we can expect.

Sorry you're right - I meant 'its not the absolute value of the flow' - but the trend over time? (especially if the flow drops to 0)

OP
OP
psumms

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to test again tonight with a measuring jug but, the first test was way off acceptable. To say they’re $4 cheap Chinese junk is not a valid point, Neptune sell these for $$, if they are so wildly inaccurate, they are clearly not fit for purposes and if Neptune know this, it would surprising that they put their name on them! Hopefully a second controlled test will prove me wrong!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue with the flow sensors is to operate properly they require un-turbulant entrance and exit runs, ie 2-3' strait approach lengths. That's something I'd wager 95% of the installs I've seen aren't doing, because it's not feasible to for anyone outside of a sizable fish room owner. Another of the 2016 era releases.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to test again tonight with a measuring jug but, the first test was way off acceptable. To say they’re $4 cheap Chinese junk is not a valid point, Neptune sell these for $$, if they are so wildly inaccurate, they are clearly not fit for purposes and if Neptune know this, it would surprising that they put their name on them! Hopefully a second controlled test will prove me wrong!

Sorry but these are about $4 a pop or lower.

Amazon (With huge Amazon Markup)

Ebay (With Minor Markup)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back