Neptune Apex Temp Probe

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of trusting the apex temp probe while I was cycling the tank, and didn't even think about it when I added fish. I added a powder brown, lemon tang, and a kole. They were quarantined in a tank with a heater with built in setting of 78F degrees.

My apex is configured to turn the heater on at 78F degrees, but obviously it is off by 1 degree.

I'm just wondering if I calibrate the apex probe, would the 1degree temp change stress that powder brown; I'm thinking not, but wanted to get input from this community. I've never had a powder brown before, and I only hear about how sensitive they are

Thanks

IMG_2478.jpg NeptuneApexTemp.jpg Heater1.jpg

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 degree will be fine. Calibrate the Apex probe to the average of your two digital thermometers and let the temp fall throughout the day. It will most likely take several hours. Much less stressful on your fish then a ride home from the fish store in a bag.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran through the neptune apex temp probe calibration wizard and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I started looking for instructions on how to calibrate the probe; this is what I found in neptune's "Advanced Control Freak" documentation ;Facepalm
1642698832427.png

I'm thinking that maybe I should test the temp closer to where the probe is in the sump instead of the display; there seams to be a 4 degree variance.

Thoughts?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran through the neptune apex temp probe calibration wizard and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I started looking for instructions on how to calibrate the probe; this is what I found in neptune's "Advanced Control Freak" documentation ;Facepalm
1642698832427.png

I'm thinking that maybe I should test the temp closer to where the probe is in the sump instead of the display; there seams to be a 4 degree variance.

Thoughts?
Yes, you definitely should take all of the measurements from the same area. 4 degrees is a lot. I have two Apex temp probes, the one that came bundled with the Apex was spot on. The second one purchased separately was almost 2 degrees off. I do not know if that is a factor or not. I made small adjustments in Fusion a few times over a week and got it dialed in.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking the temp closer to probe is better. These differences won’t make significant impact , unless the temp swing itself is big and frequent.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you definitely should take all of the measurements from the same area. 4 degrees is a lot. I have two Apex temp probes, the one that came bundled with the Apex was spot on. The second one purchased separately was almost 2 degrees off. I do not know if that is a factor or not. I made small adjustments in Fusion a few times over a week and got it dialed in.
Sorry. that was a typo. It's a .4 degree variance (point four)

Yes, I'll test the probe in the sump area. That will probably take care of that .4 degrees; before I calibrated it, it was a full 1 degree off, so maybe it is fine now.

Thanks for you input

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so stupid :mad:

Sometimes, I get so tunnel visioned that I can't see the trees for the forest. I'm surprised that my fish aren't sick yet.

That's my primary heater sitting right under the temp probe ;Facepalm

Attachments

• Heater_Probe.jpg
    Heater_Probe.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 31

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back