Neptune DOS for AWC

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to pick up a DOS unit to do AWC and dosing two part. My Water mixing station is down stairs in my garage so lugging buckets in and around the house got old very quickly!!! My question, Is it simple to set up in APEX and how do I prevent my ATO from going crazy when I take water out of the tank? should I add more water to my sump to compensate?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just set the DOS to add and take out water at the same time with the same amounts, and then the ATO shouldnt be affected

I remove water 'upstream' and add new water downstream

DOS is very simple to set up, there is an automatic task within Apex that does it for you and you just select the amounts, time frame etc.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you intend to get 2 DOS units, one for dosing 2-part and the other for AWC? You cannot do both with a single DOS.

As for the setup, it is pretty simple. However, the way Neptune recommends setting it up creates a problem with calibration and priming, because those two functions can only occur with the DOS pump heads rotating clockwise but Neptune’s AWC setup has one head rotating counter-clockwise. I wrote up a detailed post on how to change the AWC setup so both heads run clockwise here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...ips-or-hints-appreciated.744640/#post-7783633

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using one DOS to do a Once a week WC then using quick connects I can use different hoses to dose two part possibly with the DDR If possible.. If I need two DOS systems then oh well!!!!! hahhahaha :p @SuncrestReef Thank you for the info!

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using one DOS to do a Once a week WC then using quick connects I can use different hoses to dose two part possibly with the DDR If possible.. If I need two DOS systems then oh well!!!!! hahhahaha :p @SuncrestReef Thank you for the info!
It is not a fast thing. If you want to change more than like 2 gallons it will take hours. Plus you will loose prime each time. You will need 2 DOS units. Sorry

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a fast thing. If you want to change more than like 2 gallons it will take hours. Plus you will loose prime each time. You will need 2 DOS units. Sorry
AHhhhh ok I did not think about that. So my plan was to disconnect the lines after my Water change because I would have to run lines across my living room.. Is disconnecting the lines not recommend?

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHhhhh ok I did not think about that. So my plan was to disconnect the lines after my Water change because I would have to run lines across my living room.. Is disconnecting the lines not recommend?
It’s gonna be a PITA. Also you might need to recalibrate each time you swap between two part and AWC, given that the tubing lengths are gonna be different.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - with any dosing solution. Once you have the lines connected and not leaking - leave them alone or eventually you're asking for a leak.

It would take a good bit of time to do what you are thinking. You'll need to flush the 2 part out of the dosing heads which means disconnecting, running the heads, capturing the 2 part that is in the lines, connect your other lines, prime etc.

Moving lines around like that can also throw off calibration so I think you'll be fighting calibration issues as well.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - with any dosing solution. Once you have the lines connected and not leaking - leave them alone or eventually you're asking for a leak.

It would take a good bit of time to do what you are thinking. You'll need to flush the 2 part out of the dosing heads which means disconnecting, running the heads, capturing the 2 part that is in the lines, connect your other lines, prime etc.

Moving lines around like that can also throw off calibration so I think you'll be fighting calibration issues as well.
See!!! This is why I love R2R I didn't think about half of the %$% you guys mentioned. For now I will continue to use my Jaboe dosing pump for 2-part and then get one DOS for now. o_Oo_O:oops: $600 for total piece of mind geez..

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two BRS 50ml pumps for my AWC. Been flawless so far, one of the best things I have added to my build. Just as another option, pretty cheap one too.

OP
OP
Roytrolls247

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef I set up the pump as you instructed it was pretty simple to get it started I did a 2 gal WC to test the system now i just need some tube holders to make my install complete Thank you for your assistance!!!!

20201029_200045.jpg APEX.JPG

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef Hey I had a quick question I set up my DOS to do a AWC annnnnnnddd nothing is happening

Did you set it up for DOS Auto Water Changes, or the DOS Manual Water Change? In other words, is it set to run on a daily schedule, or manually when you click a Feed button?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back