Neptune optical sensors

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have issues with neptune optical sensors?

I got 2 of them 2 days ago one of them is my ato always dry , I want him to notify me when ther water level in ato is too high. It is in closed state all the them.

But the other one just is acting up .

I have it in ato reservoir, always dry , I want him to notify my when the water level is below the sensor
It was in open stage all the time as expected, less then 24 hour and it is closed

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common problem with optical sensors is if the cable isn't fully seated in the FMM socket. Give it another push and perhaps twist is as you push it into the FMM port. Also go into the FMM Configuration screen to verify the FMM is detecting the sensor as an Optical sensor.

Read my ATK Tutorial for a list of troubleshooting steps to test and verify your sensors. The instructions still apply even if you don't have the ATK.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be mindful of sensor orientation. Not with the clear prism pointed downwards.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the suggestions above don’t help, I have 8 optical sensors and had strange issues [that I thought might be them or the FMMs]. Turns out my equipment was experiencing some interference. In the end it wasn’t the optical sensors, but my leak sensors. My sensors were causing all sorts of issues with sensors themselves, other sensors, as well as the FMMs to which they were attached. You can put some ferrite cores around the end near the connector. At the suggestion of support, I added the cores around the leak sensors and I haven’t had a single issue since. Any sensor [with a long cable] could be prone to this type of problem it appears.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the suggestions above don’t help, I have 8 optical sensors and had strange issues [that I thought might be them or the FMMs]. Turns out my equipment was experiencing some interference. In the end it wasn’t the optical sensors, but my leak sensors. My sensors were causing all sorts of issues with sensors themselves, other sensors, as well as the FMMs to which they were attached. You can put some ferrite cores around the end near the connector. At the suggestion of support, I added the cores around the leak sensors and I haven’t had a single issue since. Any sensor [with a long cable] could be prone to this type of problem it appears.
I had similar issues when I had my leak sensor sitting near my UPS and power board (power strip). It was causing the FMM to play up and stop recognising the sensors. When this happened I needed to reboot the FMM to fix the issue. Neptune suggested this and when I moved the leak sensor away from that location the problem went away.

It seems to be the sensor itself being sensitive to interference, not the cable. My guess is that it was causing an inductive reaction and messing up the logic in the FMM.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues when I had my leak sensor sitting near my UPS and power board (power strip). It was causing the FMM to play up and stop recognising the sensors. When this happened I needed to reboot the FMM to fix the issue. Neptune suggested this and when I moved the leak sensor away from that location the problem went away.

It seems to be the sensor itself being sensitive to interference, not the cable. My guess is that it was causing an inductive reaction and messing up the logic in the FMM.
Either way the ferrite cores solved the issue without my adjusting placement.

awyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with one of my sensors always showing closed as well. But I don't understand the orientation? I can't really tell the difference one way or another. All 4 sides look the same. What am I missing?

awyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having issues with one of my sensors always showing closed as well. But I don't understand the orientation? I can't really tell the difference one way or another. All 4 sides look the same. What am I missing?

awyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out I had the sensor set to water on floor instead of optical. Working as it should now. Still curious about the orientation though...

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this image. You should have the sensor oriented as in the top right illustration - with the prism perpendicular to the water. The two left illustrations are what you want to avoid - they will cause false readings due to water beads on the prism. The bottom right illustration is ok but not ideal.
1641883713485.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back