Neptune SKY LED

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well part of this is the loose term of "UV".
another part is the different divisions in UV

Some UV-a is used or useable in photosynthesis directly.
Some UV "irritates" the corals enough to produce nice colorful pigments
Some UV "may" help health by irritating bacteria and other pests.

I've yet to find any real documented proof that UV does anything more than the above.
Blue on a par to par basis can substitute for many of the "UV" effects.

From a terrestrial plant perspective, not that it means much..

uvvsblue.JPG

This what you said here:

That *sounds* right to me, it seems plausible... I just want to see how it is actually known with science.

Also, I think there is a lot of confusion about the spectral distribution charts they use to show the spectrum... those are all ratios, not absolute values. When people say the SKY has no UV, that is incorrect. EDIT: assuming their (BRS) equipment is working and accurate and they are presenting the data correctly.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what you said here:

That *sounds* right to me, it seems plausible... I just want to see how it is actually known with science.

Also, I think there is a lot of confusion about the spectral distribution charts they use to show the spectrum... those are all ratios, not absolute values. When people say the SKY has no UV, that is incorrect. EDIT: assuming their (BRS) equipment is working and accurate and they are presenting the data correctly.
I noticed that in the video comments too saying 400 is not UV then same people telling others they need to learn…. Silly folks

400nm is just the average nm of the diode. Half the output will be uv below 400, half above which isn’t uv and generally around 15nm spread each way.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what you said here:

Start here .

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here .

That one also says UVR is responsible for photoinhibition.

and also says:

Doesn’t UVR Promote Coloration in Corals?​

There is a lot of work to be done in this area, and some interesting coloration shifts have been noted in corals exposed to UVR. But it has not been determined if the coloration is due to UVR or simply an slight increase in PAR (especially violet and blue wavelengths) due to the lamp’s UV shield being removed.

Gleason (1993) suggests green Porites specimens are dominate (over brown- colored corals of the same species) in shallow water however he believed that the green coloration plays no photoprotective role – an observation expounded upon by Mazel et al., 2003. See this website for further comments about UVR, and a couple of photos of colorful stony corals grown under practically non- existent UVR: www.masla.com/reef/uvlighting.html.

I gotta say.... everything I've read so far basically says that UV will likely inhibit growth, and might brighten some colors, but I haven't found anything on that has clear data with reproducible results. Until someone can show me some studies that show specifically what wavelengths, at what intensity, at what photoperiod will produce some amazing result I want, and it's been replicated by others, I'm gonna have to call this one a "reef fantasy".

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't waded through all 22 pages of this thread, but what I have read doesn't mention chromatic adaptation. Simply stated, types of photopigments (chlorophylls, carotenoids) will not change due to shifts in spectrum, but their concentration ratios will - it is spectral tuning to a given light source. This explains how captive corals have thrived under so many light sources.
On another note, zooxanthellae can produce sunscreens for UV (mycosporine-like amino acids or MAAs). In most cases, this production is due to exposure to UV, with one responding to visible light. These MAAs absorb UV up to about 350nm, if memory serves. Anything above 350nm can be useful in photosynthesis. But it is not absolutely required, especially when light intensity exceeds the photosaturation point where light absorption will not increase the rate of photosynthesis.
On yet another note, there is a reference above that suggests UV is a poison. This is not an issue in low UV environments such as we see in almost all LED luminaires. That experiment used a metal halide lamp.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't waded through all 22 pages of this thread, but what I have read doesn't mention chromatic adaptation. Simply stated, types of photopigments (chlorophylls, carotenoids) will not change due to shifts in spectrum, but their concentration ratios will - it is spectral tuning to a given light source. This explains how captive corals have thrived under so many light sources.
On another note, zooxanthellae can produce sunscreens for UV (mycosporine-like amino acids or MAAs). In most cases, this production is due to exposure to UV, with one responding to visible light. These MAAs absorb UV up to about 350nm, if memory serves. Anything above 350nm can be useful in photosynthesis. But it is not absolutely required, especially when light intensity exceeds the photosaturation point where light absorption will not increase the rate of photosynthesis.
On yet another note, there is a reference above that suggests UV is a poison. This is not an issue in low UV environments such as we see in almost all LED luminaires. That experiment used a metal halide lamp.

Thanks @Dana Riddle I'm glad you chimed in on this. Everything you just said pretty much sums up what I read in the few articles I was able to find.

It is strange to me how anyone could read this and interpret something like "Anything above 350nm can be useful in photosynthesis" to mean "If it doesn't have UV, it's garbage".

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it just me or does the ecotech marine outperform the sky in par distribution and spectrum? the xr30 also has a lower cost/par of $1.62

962d1f63-4e9d-43b2-a26e-e4fa41b83841.jpg fda1ace8-a877-45cb-9ad0-9a212804eb2e.jpg

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
is it just me or does the ecotech marine outperform the sky in par distribution and spectrum?

Distribution:
The lenses of the G5 result in a lot of distribution. The lens on an A360x also gives great distribution. But once you put in an aquascape and grow some corals (particularly in the top 1/2 of a 24" deep tank) you see that distribution is not enough. You also need the light to be coming from a larger area. That is why I was using led bars with both G5's and kessils.

Spectrum:
The big different is that 460-520 nm blue-green area. Anecdotally, blue plus bulbs have this blue-green. Is it important from a PUR standpoint... I don't know. Most of the absorption plots show that the 460-500 nm is not as important as the 400-440 nm area. I also don't really like the look of the blue-green.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it just me or does the ecotech marine outperform the sky in par distribution and spectrum? the xr30 also has a lower cost/par of $1.62

962d1f63-4e9d-43b2-a26e-e4fa41b83841.jpg fda1ace8-a877-45cb-9ad0-9a212804eb2e.jpg

I don't know the answer to this but wat is the measurement box / tank size? Is it the same or has BRS changes their test setup. I don't remember.

Radion test was over a 2 x 2 display.

Last edited:

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same 2x2x2 cube. the radion was mounted 1" lower too

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same 2x2x2 cube. the radion was mounted 1" lower too

Could be the difference, or not. Hard to say. I can't speak for the Radion but the SKY has a wider spread 24 x 30 I think was Dana's comment or maybe a tick more. Not sure how that relates to the numbers here or if it would be more or less.

Interesting comparison though.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't remember how many lights were in the "cost per par" analysis, but the ecotechs were 2nd and 3rd cheapest, and they said the Sky is in the middle of the pack, so it makes sense it is more per par than the ecotechs.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope ecotech comes out with a big dirty light like Neptune . If ecotech built there’s that big it would kill that light

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope ecotech comes out with a big dirty light like Neptune . If ecotech built there’s that big it would kill that light

posts like this are so strange to me. I can see why someone would want ecotech to challenge neptune with a bigger light (competition is good for all of us), but why would someone want the light "to die"? Did Terrence from Neptune run over your dog or something?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posts like this are so strange to me. I can see why someone would want ecotech to challenge neptune with a bigger light (competition is good for all of us), but why would someone want the light "to die"? Did Terrence from Neptune run over your dog or something?
Like you said competition

theishkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand it either and it's been even crazier lately with all the hatred. Either a product died outside of its' warranty and Neptune didn't fix it for free... or people bought something else and don't want to feel like they have an inferior product or no longer the current "best" light.
I've never really understood why a Chevy sucks because someone owns a Ford, or why PC's are horrible because I own a Mac.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand it either and it's been even crazier lately with all the hatred. Either a product died outside of its' warranty and Neptune didn't fix it for free... or people bought something else and don't want to feel like they have an inferior product or no longer the current "best" light.
I've never really understood why a Chevy sucks because someone owns a Ford, or why PC's are horrible because I own a Mac.
I didn’t say I didn’t like it I got to see it first hand and it’s a pretty nice looking light and for price mount it’s in the same ball park as every other light. I might try one over my new frag tank when I get it done but going to wait a little longer for some more reviews

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m curious to know what spectrum and how many of each diode is in the Sky. Lots of LED lights provide this but the Sky is nowhere to be found.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to know what spectrum and how many of each diode is in the Sky. Lots of LED lights provide this but the Sky is nowhere to be found.
find telegram and mahina_corals on instagram for some very interesting data.

You will also learn about a new lighting option coming to market that has what most of us want.....quality, big par, better spectrum, plug and play, and affordable!

Go check it out!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of us can't access instagram...why don't you give us the direct info or a link to it ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back