Neptune SKY LED

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this price you should expect something special. Honestly, the ability to easily control the light might trump all other attributes for some people.
I see an average generic looking light with a diffuser/lens plate built on
Care to elaborate how they are years behind other brands and what brands are we talking about?

If you are running Radion G5's I would say no, you wouldn't upgrade unless you are making an integration quality of life improvement. I replaced 4 x a360x with 2 x SKY and there is a significant improvement as it relates to the light blanketing the display.

The Kessil swimming pool shimmer is gone but a more softer subtle one replaced it. Easier control. Less power bricks. I removed about 75 feet of cable.
I ran a360x’s and we can agree. The shimmer is cool but after a month I was like “ok now grow corals” and they politely declined. The Radion G5’s saturate the tank better with lights (apparently like the Sky’s you have).

no NDA or did they release them? I must have missed it. If you have them, what’s the powerbrick size and PAR numbers? The world wants to know! Apex screenshots of the module interface?

I have Neptune everything but still went with Radions to replace my A360x’s. I can’t see people jumping ship so they can delete an app on their phone (that 50% of people need for their power heads and pumps already).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil is a division of a much larger company, Dicon. According to the Kessil website Dicon does in fact manufacturer their own diodes.

Mysterious as it is what spectrums Kessil puts out - they grow and color corals well.
Thanks. Actually did a "due diligence" search of DiCon and their numerous offshoots in fiber optics and stage/studio lighting ect. Think there about 6 entities including Kessil.
I found nothing stating as such BUT I could have missed it.
Chip manufacturer is pretty specialized though like you said, they could have their own fab plant.
round about proof that they probably do diodes..

2002​

Started Epitaxy and Photonic Chip Process Development for Solid-State Lighting
Soo I'll give them the benefit of doubt .
Soo which nm's lol

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is a panel similar to current generation of lighting. I don't know if this is the new norm or not but it seems to be inline with current form factors. I wouldn't say it is generic or not but it isn't ugly and it is functional. I don't think I have anything to add - sorry.

I ran a360x’s and we can agree. The shimmer is cool but after a month I was like “ok now grow corals” and they politely declined. The Radion G5’s saturate the tank better with lights (apparently like the Sky’s you have).

I do not own G5's but respect the light and success that people have with them. I don't believe anyone who has them would be in the market for a new light unless there is a reason.

no NDA or did they release them? I must have missed it. If you have them, what’s the powerbrick size and PAR numbers? The world wants to know! Apex screenshots of the module interface?

NSI is still in play. The Bay Area has a store with one on display or did. They are also at the last trade show not that that helps you now (aquachella).

They use the meanwell power supply so it is 8 x 3 x 1.5 I think roughly. The Kessil's I had are smaller but I had more of them as you know since you also own or owned the a360x's. I also had a metric ton of cables with the USB-C links. The SKY has one cable coming out of the unit and at the end are two connections. One for power the other for aquabus. I am not using that connection so using Bluetooth.

I will let Dana and BRS and others give the PAR numbers since I really don't have a setup for that. Not dodging the question but I only have a Seneye and I did take a sample to properly acclimate. I will say that I started the SKYs at 40% intensity and only now at 60% three or four weeks later.

I have Neptune everything but still went with Radions to replace my A360x’s. I can’t see people jumping ship so they can delete an app on their phone (that 50% of people need for their power heads and pumps already).

I believe you are correct. If I owned G5's I wouldn't upgrade. G3 or 4 or other similar generation yes, it would be an option. I'm not going to lie though as I was also a NSI member for the Kessil ioTa test and it was a huge quality of life improvement. I was not a huge fan of the Kessil app :( Apex control with the Kessil is a game changer if you are in that ecosystem.

Not the best or longest video but the first one is pre-sky - Kessil over my display (210 gallon 54 x 30 x 30). 4 x a360x all channels 100%. Second video is 2 x SKY all channels at 100%. My day to day lighting is 60% max since I have a few corals that are getting more light now then they did previously (Japanese pink nephthea and lower bubble coral). The few SPS test corals I have didn't skip a beat.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi @srobertb I forgot to answer a question you asked me. Apex screenshots. Sorry about that I did not mean to ignore it. I think it would be better if I could link a video from saltwater aquarium . com that threw a short one together. It will probably provide more detail and honestly I'm a newb with phones.

I do not have my lights connected to the Apex. They are using the Bluetooth connection so I'm using similar to what the video below shows. Originally I was on the Android platform but switched oddly enough to iOS when I joined the NSI program. This may not matter to many here but for me I want to point out that I knew nothing of the iOS or Apple ecosystem to start.

It sort of went like this once I was ready to start. Unbox, remove old lights, install new, download testflight, enter a code (this was my first time using iOS/testflight), Apex app was visible, open app, select new aquarium setup, name it, select lighting, SKY, continue, three steps are listed (connect to power, connect power to outlet, confirm status light is blinking. Each step has a short / small video clip, continue, then it says how many are found, connect, and then you run through the setup which is start, stop, spectrum, and then you are done.

To be honest not being a phone savvy person AND also changing platforms this was a easy setup. I can't compare it to anything other than my Kessil experience which was horrible (no disrespect Kessil but the app isn't great), but it was easy to setup. I would wager 5 minutes max. This is if you just do what I said.

If you want to dial in or add more time points to rampup, down, (parabola) you have to edit. I think the button is reef pro or such, up top. If you own a trident it is similar to the setup with the videos to step you through. It was really easy to do honestly.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe either one of us can speak for Ryan or BRS. It was a preview I do know that and he replaced his previous lights with the SKY's. He prefers shimmer as he states over the years so added two (I believe). Maybe ask him to clarify during their next live session if it is a selling point for you.

I won't speak for Melev either but I believe in the video he stated they are not needed and just left there. I would have to go back but not sure I understand the concern.

I would remove best from the equation. Best is subjective and will be many different things to different hobbyists.

It is just a feature. Usually people look at the whole package. Assuming you are interested in upgrading your current lights have a list of requirements and see what fits. Sounds like this isn't a feature for you.

One of the lets talk reefs they noted the LED manufacture. The rest will come out when they are ready if it isn't already out there. I've read a few threads here and elsewhere regarding this but I usually think to myself what is it you are after and does it matter.

Here is an interesting thought. Do you think that the NSI members would just swap lights on their tank due to hype or because it is new? Some of the NSI members have displays pushing close to 20 years old. You don't swap a major component on hype or just because it is new. They will grow coral.

Now if they are the right tool for your use case only you can answer. Don't get caught up in the noise. Have a list of requirements for your need(s) and maybe they will be a fit. Or not. Don't rule it out just because it is made by Neptune.

Sounds like you really like Neptune and Skys. [edit looks like you do have them]

As to the BRS video and Melev's Reef video, i stand by interpretation of the what they said; i am just distilling it for anyone that cares but does not have time to watch a couple hours of video on youtube.

Anyone can watch those videos and see and hear the same thing...

Put this way, if kessils and reefbrites were easier to video for his 360 videos, it's pretty clear Ryan would not have changed his lighting. Ryan literally said that is the reason he changed out to Sky's. He could have any lights he wanted, but balanced the ease of sharing videos with what he thought the best looking lighting for him was. Melev definitely said the Reefbrites added pop that the Sky's did not...

As to subjective or not... That's the whole point.... It's all about subjectively what is the best... Sky's hit spread, ease of use, at a decent high light cost. I will say a year warranty is terrible on high end light.... The sky's also appear to lack somewhat on shimmer and pop based on videos and statements out there. No light wins all categories of what we like and need, yet anyway, and it appears Sky does not either.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a panel similar to current generation of lighting. I don't know if this is the new norm or not but it seems to be inline with current form factors. I wouldn't say it is generic or not but it isn't ugly and it is functional. I don't think I have anything to add - sorry.

I do not own G5's but respect the light and success that people have with them. I don't believe anyone who has them would be in the market for a new light unless there is a reason.

NSI is still in play. The Bay Area has a store with one on display or did. They are also at the last trade show not that that helps you now (aquachella).

They use the meanwell power supply so it is 8 x 3 x 1.5 I think roughly. The Kessil's I had are smaller but I had more of them as you know since you also own or owned the a360x's. I also had a metric ton of cables with the USB-C links. The SKY has one cable coming out of the unit and at the end are two connections. One for power the other for aquabus. I am not using that connection so using Bluetooth.

I will let Dana and BRS and others give the PAR numbers since I really don't have a setup for that. Not dodging the question but I only have a Seneye and I did take a sample to properly acclimate. I will say that I started the SKYs at 40% intensity and only now at 60% three or four weeks later.

I believe you are correct. If I owned G5's I wouldn't upgrade. G3 or 4 or other similar generation yes, it would be an option. I'm not going to lie though as I was also a NSI member for the Kessil ioTa test and it was a huge quality of life improvement. I was not a huge fan of the Kessil app :( Apex control with the Kessil is a game changer if you are in that ecosystem.

Not the best or longest video but the first one is pre-sky - Kessil over my display (210 gallon 54 x 30 x 30). 4 x a360x all channels 100%. Second video is 2 x SKY all channels at 100%. My day to day lighting is 60% max since I have a few corals that are getting more light now then they did previously (Japanese pink nephthea and lower bubble coral). The few SPS test corals I have didn't skip a beat.

The Skys remind me T5's for sure, which is a good thing. Can you post another comparison with the Kessils set a bit whiter to match the Skys?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Skys remind me T5's for sure, which is a good thing. Can you post another comparison with the Kessils set a bit whiter to match the Skys?

I can't speak for T5's. I've never used them. I have been in the hobby since 1999 so my first light setup was 175W MH and SVHO fluorescent I recall. Then power compacts, then moved to DIY LED's (cree), later multi-channel kits from BlueAcro, then Kessil a360x, and now the SKY's. They all have strengths. I've never run T5's though believe it or not.

Regarding the comparison. The Kessil's are offline and not over the tank. I apologize. Let me see if I can get the raw video and increase the time or edit. I'm not sure if that will give you what you are looking for. I do know that both the Kessil and SKY's had all channels to 100%. I was honestly just focusing on the shimmer since that comes up a lot but I can see why you are asking that looking back. The SKY does look brighter. It is because the light is more evenly distributed. I have more thoughts on this but the post is already getting too long.

You raised another point about being a fan. Let me explain please. I've been in the hobby since 1999. In 2000 I purchased the original Neptune controller that was using the X10 relays, base probes, and data logger via a serial cable. So yes, I go a ways back and have a history but it is because I'm a satisfied customer. I did take a break for a bit and switched to an open source controller (reef angel) but switched back with the recent upgrade. The tank I showed a video of is 3 1/2 years old. The upgraded tank was 7 years before that. I could say it is 10 1/2 years or so but because of the upgrade and major change in size I reset the clock. I am a honest to goodness average hobbyist as you can see from my display. It is real, it has pests, it has some funky algae on the sand bed, I have damsels (I love them), and it is a mixed reef.

I do my best to be unbiased when I answer but I'm not perfect. Just remember that some of the NSI members have some really old tanks. 10 to 20 years. That is a lot of blood, sweat, and tears not to mention the financial aspect of it to swap on hype. Just something to remember as you wade through the various threads and what not. Let me see what I can do on the video.

freeflydarren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be interesting to see how the quality and long term performance is as their wave makers were horrible build at launch and I don't think they ever improved. Apex has proven to be decent build quality and stellar programming so far as they add on to it but that's mostly due to having to spend your first born for all the extra boxes and probes. As important as lighting is I don't foresee it topping ecotech on build but should be interesting. Hopefully BRS does a super in depth comparison video on performance and customers vocal up around the one year mark with experience before I would consider switching as my radions need replacing. which tend to last 3-4 years per model before they have to be sent in from what I have experienced so far with the 1 and 3. 5s still early for me.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be interesting to see how the quality and long term performance is as their wave makers were horrible build at launch and I don't think they ever improved. Apex has proven to be decent build quality and stellar programming so far as they add on to it but that's mostly due to having to spend your first born for all the extra boxes and probes. As important as lighting is I don't foresee it topping ecotech on build but should be interesting. Hopefully BRS does a super in depth comparison video on performance and customers vocal up around the one year mark with experience before I would consider switching as my radions need replacing. which tend to last 3-4 years per model before they have to be sent in from what I have experienced so far with the 1 and 3. 5s still early for me.

I think this is a fair question but it is also true of any new product regardless of the manufacture. I notice you raised the wave makers but have you looked at say Ecotech's vectra pump launch and the recent G5's? Pumps seizing, broken plates, loud fans, etc?

Low yield products such as Abyzz or Ferrari may have a lower initial failure rate but they are on a smaller scale compared to other pumps and cars. I think you will get some "use case" metrics from BRS while light and spectrum assessment from Dana. The quality will speak for itself over time. None of us have a looking glass into the future.

Initial quality is good though. Boxed very well. Protected. Nice finish. Easy mounting. Mounting options. No lose screws. No broken face plates. No broken fans.

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to add. We have people testing adding the smallest of Kessil along with the SKY to get more of the shimmer they may desire. This is likely a much easier "hybrid" approach than trying to use single point lights and using T5 to get the even coverage needed on a tank. Expect to see more of this approach very soon on tanks out there with the SKY.

This interests me. I'll be putting 3 SKYs over my new 6ft 180 (just pre-ordered last night). I wonder if two Kessil A80s between the three SKYs would be powerful enough to add just a touch more shimmer.

Pretty cheap to try this out (relatively speaking ;)), but I wouldn't mind if someone else tried it first :D.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This interests me. I'll be putting 3 SKYs over my new 6ft 180 (just pre-ordered last night). I wonder if two Kessil A80s between the three SKYs would be powerful enough to add just a touch more shimmer.

Pretty cheap to try this out (relatively speaking ;)), but I wouldn't mind if someone else tried it first :D.
I just pre-ordered 3x Sky for my 200 G IM Peninsula and I have 2x Kessil A80s for my QT and was wondering that exact thing today ;-)

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle Is your 120 a 4x2x2? And if so, what orientation did you mount the SKYs in over it?
Yes, 4x2x2. The long axis of the SKY luminaires is parallel to the front glass pane.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates?
I'm still working on the report, it's about 25 pages so far (mostly graphics.) The corals in the tank using the SKYs are doing quite well.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working on the report, it's about 25 pages so far (mostly graphics.) The corals in the tank using the SKYs are doing quite well.
And just like that Dana's back on top. Most anticipated R2R contributor. We're looking forward to a good objective review.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the actual reviews on this light...

Screenshot_20210802-222233_Facebook.jpg

Seems like a lot of money to not even come close to the spectral output of the venerable ATI Blue+ T5.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are about a dozen preset lighting options with the SKY, along with a 'custom' setting. I'm not here to change anyone's mind, just presenting what I saw during testing. Let me research this - looks the 14K preset matches the AB+ spectrum, but then I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle sorry if you've already answered this, but do yu have any intention of testing out the ATI Straton? I am already running three of them so I am pretty committed already, but who does not want some confirmation to go along with their bias? ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back