Neptune SKY LED

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a glitch in the Sky software where when you choose Blue+ it shows as Custom on the schedule. I prefer Blue+. AB+ is much whiter on the SKY than on the Radion XR15 Gen 5 Pro.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering still Was thinking. I have the sky up. I am looking for the shimmer clear water look of radians ect. The sky is as noted, Like T5. Is there a dyi diffuser replacement. ??? With the diffuser late off. Is it more similar to radions ??

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Was wondering if there was a dyi diffuser that really was just a clear piece of plastic or some material to protect the leds. Looks like that are open to salt spray and more without it.
Before doing tahini will see how it looks with my radium gen 3 pros running with it

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are 2 types of fixture designs available.

Point fixtures are designed to create a dramatic effect by enhancing shadows and giving shimmer. Panel fixtures are designed to provide a blanket of coverage. They are at an opposing end of the light physics spectrum. There are fixtures that use small panels with lenses to walk the line between the two, but in the end there is "no replacement for displacement" when it comes to shadow reduction.

Shimmer and shadow are "vanity" effects. They give depth and movement to the tank, an important aspect as we pay $$$ for these things to look good. Blanket coverage provides a healthier growing environment for corals as it overcomes colony shadowing.

If you just want shimmer/ shadow, you can have a beautiful tank with a few kessils and proper coral placement. Several fixtures are required to help overcome colonies shadowing themselves. (ex. rather than 1 a360x, use 2 a160 or 4 a80... rather than 1 a500x, use 2 a360x)

The other aspect of shimmer/ shadow is that it takes a very small amount of par to create a dramatic visual effect. Our eyes are most sensitive to the 500-600 nm "white" zone.

Rather than replace the diffuser of a panel fixture with a clear piece, I would recommend keeping the stock diffuser and adding a dedicated shimmer light. The nutrition for the corals will be provided by the blanket of light while the shimmer will be provided by the shimmer light.

If you have 2 SKY it is simple, just throw a kessil in the middle. Even an a80 will be sufficient to give the look. If you have 1 SKY, I would look at Amazon for a cheap, small white led and mount it in the center of the panel. You can try it with your cell phone, just turn on the flashlight and hold it in the middle of the panel.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering still Was thinking. I have the sky up. I am looking for the shimmer clear water look of radians ect. The sky is as noted, Like T5. Is there a dyi diffuser replacement. ??? With the diffuser late off. Is it more similar to radions ??

Not sure I understand what you are saying you want. Are you saying you want shimmer? If so, how much. The SKYs produce a shimmer but it is more subtle.

If you are looking for swimming pool shallow reef sort of shimmer then you choose the wrong light. You wanted Kessil if going LED or MH bulb.

Edit: the last thing you want to do is try and band aid what you bought because it isn't going to work well. Think wrong tool for the job.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info guys. Great points. I currently have 6 radion gen3 pros over my tank. Length is about 90 and deep is 30 and width is 30. I also have some old old black boxes over it. I wanted to add some more lights to get more par but did not want to lose the shimmer. I did not go with the newer radions as I am heavy apex user. And love to control the tank that way. I know thee are apps that can work. Just my preference. I think I will add the sky’s as is and see how it changes things. So in the center rod the tank I would have 3 sky and 4 radions.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info guys. Great points. I currently have 6 radion gen3 pros over my tank. Length is about 90 and deep is 30 and width is 30. I also have some old old black boxes over it. I wanted to add some more lights to get more par but did not want to lose the shimmer. I did not go with the newer radions as I am heavy apex user. And love to control the tank that way. I know thee are apps that can work. Just my preference. I think I will add the sky’s as is and see how it changes things. So in the center rod the tank I would have 3 sky and 4 radions.
Here are some pics to get the idea of the space in the light bar I am filling up.

7A18637A-1D99-4CCD-A509-E8922FEFD861.jpeg 2962C277-1E2D-4536-8B8B-8EF55BD8E461.jpeg 41845D5C-3633-471D-A721-2A9A74E6E023.jpeg 64FC39D6-E36D-4542-9D02-547293C76A1E.jpeg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're looking just to add shimmer to the Neptunes there is no need to spend that kind of $ for a kessil or other supposed high end lights.

A SmatFarm V3 will provide all you need and actually will provide more realistic shimmer. The Kessil shimmer is too busy for my tastes.

There are many others as well, Nicrew, Nooppsyche K7 V3, ect.

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Guys,

I am reading through some of the post. I have not entirely dialed in my settings. I run as below. The "coral growth" mode seems almost too white. The corals do retract a bit during this stage. I have been running this setting for serval months. I currently have a mixed tank, but plan to go more dominant sps, as the system gets older.

Any critiques
IMG_2139.jpeg
would be great!

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking just to add shimmer to the Neptunes there is no need to spend that kind of $ for a kessil or other supposed high end lights.

A SmatFarm V3 will provide all you need and actually will provide more realistic shimmer. The Kessil shimmer is too busy for my tastes.

There are many others as well, Nicrew, Nooppsyche K7 V3, ect.

This!

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth if you haven't it wouldn't take but a minute to route them a ticket via the portal to note it. Having the lights since the middle of last year I've not encountered it. I've read a few posts here and there that some do.

Maybe worth in case they are keeping count. Never the less hope you are having a great weekend.
I contacted Neptune awhile ago and they said the popping/ cracking sound is normal and is caused by the expansion/contraction of the diffuser panel.

I’m not impressed by the noise since my tank is in my living room and it is quite loud and seems to go on for hours.

It’s definitely a 1st gen product and needs some refinement.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Neptune awhile ago and they said the popping/ cracking sound is normal and is caused by the expansion/contraction of the diffuser panel.

I’m not impressed by the noise since my tank is in my living room and it is quite loud and seems to go on for hours.

It’s definitely a 1st gen product and needs some refinement.

Thanks for the update. I'll have to pay attention as my display is in our den / office. I do work there every day but haven't really paid attention. Sort of makes sense due to how the fans blow down and out.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with color channels failing? I have one half the leds inop on the violet and also the amber channels on one of my units.

I have already had one of my units replaced when one row of the white leds went inop.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had problems with color channels failing? I have one half the leds inop on the violet and also the amber channels on one of my units.

I have already had one of my units replaced when one row of the white leds went inop.
Here are some pictures. One of the good unit and one with the inop channels. There also appears to be a dead row or two of blue led as well.

I have reached out to Neptune support. I will update this thread with their response. I received the lights in May of 2021. The one that is working was replaced under warranty for a dead row of LEDs in May of 2022.

IMG_2447.jpeg IMG_2446.jpeg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure it’s posted in here somewhere but does anyone know the LED count for the Sky? Like how many blue, how many royal blue, violet, amber, cyan, etc?

Every search just comes up with 104 LEDs. I’m looking for the actual breakdown. Not sure why this isn’t posted on the description

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it’s posted in here somewhere but does anyone know the LED count for the Sky? Like how many blue, how many royal blue, violet, amber, cyan, etc?

Every search just comes up with 104 LEDs. I’m looking for the actual breakdown. Not sure why this isn’t posted on the description
Must be somewhere but a bit can be assumed from the spectrum data.

And this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back