Neptune SKY LED

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I had seen a post from @Dana Riddle that he got his hands on a Neptune SKY for testing. I'm not going to ditch my Orpheks but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SKY performs. Being able to control through an Apex is a huge benefit.

Does anyone recall seeing anything about this?

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the product description on the Neptune website, they need to add the LED counts by color/spectrum and manufacturer. If their not using Cree and Osram, or equivalent it would be an absolute deal breaker at that pricing. I'm trying not to be jaded as the Apex controllability would be a real plus, but many of their other accessories are built on the cheap, hopefully the lights warrant the cost.

MasterChief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the product description on the Neptune website, they need to add the LED counts by color/spectrum and manufacturer. If their not using Cree and Osram, or equivalent it would be an absolute deal breaker at that pricing. I'm trying not to be jaded as the Apex controllability would be a real plus, but many of their other accessories are built on the cheap, hopefully the lights warrant the cost.
What is the cost? I haven’t seen that yet. I’ll finally get to see them tomorrow at reefapalooza... pretty stoked about them. Considering selling my XR30 gen5’s. Getting away from all things mobius one step at a time.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this price you should expect something special. Honestly, the ability to easily control the light might trump all other attributes for some people.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programmability isn't really a selling point for me. Set it and forget it is more valuable than having control of every detail in my opinion.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a link for that? I looked all over the neptunesystems.com site but couldn't find it anywhere.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more sad part of the LED history in our hobby. Bringing lot's of hope for those who doesn't really know better or can't see what's going on!
This LED train will never stop if people are still giving to them what they want $$$$! One copies the other and give you the choice of changing the label's colors. LOL! What a joke!
I just don't like when they compare to halides or T5s. Not the way they should do! Compare LEDs to other LEDs.

And one more sponsored! This time they chose a halide user to $tep on halides. How sad!

This guy used to run halides, went to 10 black boxes (yes, 10!!) and 3 Radion G4 Pros + T5s and ReefBrites before the Sky.

Don't think the "sky is the limit"! We still will have the whole galaxy to use and name LEDs in the future!
Take your conclusions.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more sad part of the LED history in our hobby. Bringing lot's of hope for those who doesn't really know better or can't see what's going on!
This LED train will never stop if people are still giving to them what they want $$$$! One copies the other and give you the choice of changing the label's colors. LOL! What a joke!
I just don't like when they compare to halides or T5s. Not the way they should do! Compare LEDs to other LEDs.

And one more sponsored! This time they chose a halide user to $tep on halides. How sad!

This guy used to run halides, went to 10 black boxes (yes, 10!!) and 3 Radion G4 Pros + T5s and ReefBrites before the Sky.

Don't think the "sky is the limit"! We still will have the whole galaxy to use and name LEDs in the future!
Take your conclusions.

If they are trying to get you to switch from (other LEDs), halides and T5, then it follows that they need to show you this solution can replace them all. To do that you must compare the competition, right?

The only way to do this is to judge performance.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are trying to get you to switch from (other LEDs), halides and T5, then it follows that they need to show you this solution can replace them all. To do that you must compare the competition, right?

The only way to do this is to judge performance.
The only problem is that they can't prove what they claim with actual results!
People believed Radions were "the best thing in the world" until they realize they were wasting their precious time.
You only know better if you actually had halides and/or T5s running enough time over your reef to compare!
Why do you think they compare to halides and T5s? Simply because they are the best.
Bottom line is that all 3 types of lights will give you different results. It comes to you to decide what result you like the best, not to them to tell you to choose their fixtures using them as a $tep!

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is that they can't prove what they claim with actual results!
People believed Radions were "the best thing in the world" until they realize they were wasting their precious time.
You only know better if you actually had halides and/or T5s running enough time over your reef to compare!
Why do you think they compare to halides and T5s? Simply because they are the best.
Bottom line is that all 3 types of lights will give you different results. It comes to you to decide what result you like the best, not to them to tell you to choose their fixtures using them as a $tep!
I think that is and shopping and marketing 101. The above examples are testimonials.

Halides and T5 had to be tested and iterated upon before reaching their exalted status. Trends towards efficiency (power, heating, cost) being what they are it makes sense LEDs would undergo the same scrutiny and evolution.

Consumers always have choice.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is and shopping and marketing 101. The above examples are testimonials.

Halides and T5 had to be tested and iterated upon before reaching their exalted status. Trends towards efficiency (power, heating, cost) being what they are it makes sense LEDs would undergo the same scrutiny and evolution.

Consumers always have choice.
Yes, I agree customers always have a choice. They can choose what's available and only if all choices and information published are true and clear to them. LED propaganda dictates the market today though. Lies are published as nothing matters. The new generation learn those things and pass on as they were facts.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only benefit I see is you will get a fancy widget added to your ApexFusion....otherwise it is no different than any other high end LED.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 8 foot tank I ended up with 2 Hamilton fixtures. I compared lots of options but admit I was favoring MH lighting. I used it on a small tank a long time ago. I knew it would do what I needed without reservation.
$800 covered 4 feet with 2x250w MH bulbs and 4 50W T-5s. Even considering bulb replacement costs it would be a long time before LED became cost effective. And that is if none of them failed.
I added Wyze smart plugs and I can control them from my phone.

The only other option was 2 Photon V2s. I already had one on a 75 gallon tank but I wasn't sure they were powerful enough. That was before the BRS video was made. Then the wife said leave the 75 up.

With what I know now, I would choose the 2 Photon V2s for my tank if I did it over again and had to buy lighting for 8 feet.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take your conclusions.

I love reading your comments you always prove so many valuable points your one of the reasons I switch to mh for my new build

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree customers always have a choice. They can choose what's available and only if all choices and information published are true and clear to them. LED propaganda dictates the market today though. Lies are published as nothing matters. The new generation learn those things and pass on as they were facts.
I've watched a lot of BRS investigates YT vids and they a lot of work to get data on lighting. By no means would I consider it peer-reviewed / lab grade, but I trust their methodology and their investigations of the coralcare (led panel) shows it not only has the correct spectrum to grow coral, but the coverage and intensity as well. I expect this light will do similar.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back