Neptune Trident OR Mindstream

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! And that is the stuff people just kind of don't know about. I have written about it, Sanjay did a really great talk about it at MACNA last weekend, and more people are talking about it than ever. Accuracy is incredibly hard to get at, percision is easier. If we talk about it enough, maybe we can get companies to start giving more useful info on their products. We also have to get people to stop chasing numbers and start chasing ranges. :D
precise and also inaccurate is a thing.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is interesting is the number of people 'concerned' about their alkalinity going from 8.1 to 8.5 - but then looking at the graphs (which as expected) vary throughout the day. In the past we would wonder 'whats going on - is it the test' - soon we will know - alkalinity varies hour to hour based on light, etc etc. Of course then the debate will start as to whether its best to dose xxx or yyy every 5 minutes to help this remain exactly stable. Its all going to be interesting, no?

when I got my Alkatronic, I had it testing every 2 hours for a week so I could get my chart. After getting that data, I now turn my calcium reactor off every other hour when the lights are off. Now I don’t have a sharp alkalinity spike at nighttime and my tank is a lot happier.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not talking about the current crop of testers (don’t think there have been 10 yet). Maybe in 5 years we’ll know that LOL. I was building off your Neptune example as all aquarium/companies. Sorry if that was unclear.

Either way, I’ll be watching people’s experience with mindstream, reefbot, robotank, testorama and automatank with interest (I made up the last three).
I want an automatank- take my money!

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I hope only the people that attended MACNA got the code - the fact that it was published here - to me seems fraudulent at best - and I guess at worst. Ridiculous... That said - I also think that a start up company - should not just put out a code a MACNA - for those attendees - and I've contacted @MindStream about this as well. I just paid 1000$ for something that others were able to get for 700... And why? Because I wasnt at MACNA. Ridiculous.
Ooofff! Some sour grapes there! Ordering any product does not automatically give you the right to pay the lowest price, or a guarantee it won't get discounted later.

Own goal from Mindstream not to have unique codes though, or ask buyers to show their MACNA tickets as proof of attendance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooofff! Some sour grapes there! Ordering any product does not automatically give you the right to pay the lowest price, or a guarantee it won't get discounted later.

Own goal from Mindstream not to have unique codes though, or ask buyers to show their MACNA tickets as proof of attendance.

No sour grapes. - I already paid - I dont care - but there are lots of people ordering today from 'wherever' that are asking - why did people who went to MACNA pay 30% less... Seems like its marketing 101. The problem I had is that the code was given out here on R2R - so people who weren't at MACNA could order - thats my problem.....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha! Love the "own goal" comment.

Honestly - I have no clue what that means in English... the "own goal". - it was a general comment - about why a company would let people post discount codes on a website without some kind of proof they were at MACNA HA - Love it - as a buyer - im tempted to cancel as a couple people have already

U

User1

View Badges
What is a year of discs run or the subscription? Seems like a valid complaint with regards to the discount if that is what $300 saves you.

I mean I get it - special deal for those attending the show. Special deals to email lists, facebook, etc. I understand it. At the end of the day does it really matter other than if you are a kick starter member? They get a pass because they did what the name implies - they provided money to jump start RnD and there should be a return on investment. And to be specific those in the kick starter fun or tiers (no idea who they ran it) should always, and I mean ALWAYS, pay less initially than those who get a coupon alert.

And honestly how many here do a search before they buy something as simple as a redbox disc for a discount? Or better yet hit up a bar or other and search for happy hour specials, etc. It doesn't hurt to ask (I've said this in several MS threads now) and then if the answer is no...it is then up to the buyer what they want to do about it. Me personally - I would balk and then have a inner discussion with me, myself, and I a couple hours later and then go from there.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Love the "own goal" comment.
Honestly - I have no clue what that means in English... the "own goal". - it was a general comment - about why a company would let people post discount codes on a website without some kind of proof they were at MACNA HA - Love it - as a buyer - im tempted to cancel as a couple people have already

Apologies, I hadn’t realised own goal was a colloquial term that didn’t translate into American ;)

It means scoring a goal in your own net...in real football (soccer) or hockey.

Basically a self-defeating action by Mindstream.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apologies, I hadn’t realised own goal was a colloquial term that didn’t translate into American ;)

It means scoring a goal in your own net...in real football (soccer) or hockey.

Basically a self-defeating action by Mindstream.
Agreed:)....

BDegen

Mtn Man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I hope only the people that attended MACNA got the code - the fact that it was published here - to me seems fraudulent at best - and I guess at worst. Ridiculous... That said - I also think that a start up company - should not just put out a code a MACNA - for those attendees - and I've contacted @MindStream about this as well. I just paid 1000$ for something that others were able to get for 700... And why? Because I wasnt at MACNA. Ridiculous.
We did something wonderful for all our friends at MACNA as a way to celebrate our product launch. It was a rare special promotion intended for MACNA attendees who visited our booth to see what the MindStream Monitor has to offer. We very purposely didn’t promote the discount on any of our social media channels or to our private email lists. However, we can’t control what others might share on their social media channels. For those of you waiting for delivery of your orders, watch your email for shipment confirmations or updates, or don’t hesitate to contact us on our support line. We think you will find it was well worth being among the first to receive yours!”

BDegen

Mtn Man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - at one point Neptune was a 'one product company'. Advances only happen when those one product companies become multi product companies. The concern I have with Mindstream - is the patents they hopefully have - to prevent someone else from just copying what they have done.
We have invested a great deal in making the MindStream Monitor the most sophisticated yet convenient water monitoring device on the market - including protecting our intellectual property. We have already obtained 10 U.S. patents and 8 foreign patents, with multiple US and foreign pending applications covering more than 14 important technologies. We have very solid financial backing and are committed to serving the reef keeper community for a long time to come!

U

User1

View Badges
We have invested a great deal in making the MindStream Monitor the most sophisticated yet convenient water monitoring device on the market - including protecting our intellectual property. We have already obtained 10 U.S. patents and 8 foreign patents, with multiple US and foreign pending applications covering more than 14 important technologies. We have very solid financial backing and are committed to serving the reef keeper community for a long time to come!

Well, if we are being honest then the well financed startup could honor the discount regardless of the wild fire spreading of the code. No one keeps secrets and this loose lip didn't sink your ship. Just putting it into perspective for you.

May have cost you a few customers. Maybe not. But that is your roll of the dice and I wish you nothing but the best.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if we are being honest then the well financed startup could honor the discount regardless of the wild fire spreading of the code. No one keeps secrets and this loose lip didn't sink your ship. Just putting it into perspective for you.

May have cost you a few customers. Maybe not. But that is your roll of the dice and I wish you nothing but the best.

seriously. they only got 252 people to invest in this concept when it was sold for $500 three years ago and now SO MANY people are willing to dump $1,000 on the EXACT SAME PRODUCT that they can’t fulfill orders within two months?

honestly ROFL at the people willing to believe that this company isn’t assembling these things together one by one in their living room and that PTA night is probably what delayed shipment.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i dont like the fact that you have a pay a subscription already paying 995 for the hardware. Subscription plans cost $34.95/month (when billed annually) or $39.95/month (when billed monthly). I do like how compact it is.

Subscription or reagents, what's the difference?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... I am a bit nuts.. I have the trident and will also have if it ever arrives the Mindstream.. to date my trident is working nicely. I have a larger system and my monthly costs are kinda crazy.. 40 plus years of tanks will do that to you.. For me i use to spend to many hours a week testing.. the trident freed that up for me.. All positive for me..

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We need independent element testers. I wish Neptune made one just for alk. Like how single head dosers are becoming more popular.

agreed. Let the user decide which unit to get and which parameter to test.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
seriously. they only got 252 people to invest in this concept when it was sold for $500 three years ago and now SO MANY people are willing to dump $1,000 on the EXACT SAME PRODUCT that they can’t fulfill orders within two months?

honestly ROFL at the people willing to believe that this company isn’t assembling these things together one by one in their living room and that PTA night is probably what delayed shipment.

Neptune hasn't exactly supplied million units into the mainstream inventory either. At least MindStream has a solid expected delivery/delay date.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back