Neptune Trident OR Mindstream

Kendrick Kemp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE NEPTUNE APEX. BUT CANT GET A TRIDENT . THE WAIT IS KILLING ME.
BUT THE MINDSTREAM SEEMS VERY INTRESTING. ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THOUGHTS OF JUMPING SHIP SO TO SPEAK.
IF MINDSTREAM CAN ALSO BE UPDGRADED IN THE FUTRUE ALSO. I DONT SEE HOW TRIDENT CAN BE UPGRADED WITHOUT BUYING A NEW SYSTEM.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP TALK ME DOWN. 6-8 WEEK WAIT FOR MINDSTREAM IM ABOUT TO JUMP...

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kendrick Kemp...
I have an Apex and two DOS. It’s easy enough to look at MindStream measurements and make an adjustment if necessary. I believe that my Alex and Mindstream will talk in the future anyways.

Thenoobie...
I don’t get the subscription argument. You need to buy reagents for a Trident...MindStream just sends them automatically. Yes, MindStream reagents (subscription) costs more than Trident. I am choosing to pay more for the MindStream because it measures 10 things instead of 3 and because it measures every 15 minutes. You also need to remember that the Trident needs to be serviced every few years while the MindStream does not. I will not argue that the MindStream will cost more that a Trident over time but I think it is worth the extra cost. I also like the fact that MindStream has no pumps, hoses to kink, calibration, or priming. I have not seen one in person yet but guess that it makes no noise either. I think it is a much simpler unit for the end user.

OP
OP
K

Kendrick Kemp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAS ANYONE ALSO HERD THAT MINDSTREAM IN THE FUTURE WILL ALSO MEASURE N03/PO4. OR NO
I ALMOST PAYED $880.00 FOR TRIDENT.. SO WHY NOT JUST GET MINDSTREAM.SOMEONE BEAT ME TO PAYMENT ON TRIDENT.
I DONT THINK IM BOTHERD BY MONTHLY PAYMENT FROM MINDSTREAM.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I'm just tired of waiting on Trident or the mind stream just seems a bit better.
Any opinions
Same here. No reagents, no calibration. No restrictions on where to place it. I use to wait for BRS to call me, now I’m hoping they take another month to get back to me so that I can make up my mind. Lol

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say Mindstream. You get way more useful measurements out of it and other reasons listed. I am not sure the differences long term are going to matter much cost wise (especially if you don't mind the monthly cost). People are not even getting the full 2 months on trident.

The only things I would say is wait till MACNA to decide. There are a few others entering the space

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mindstream will need service like any other piece of equipment. Mindstream seems to house a photoreceptor that will eventually go bad. How quickly is the question. My biggest concern is Mindstream is backed by a brand new company that has over promised in the past. If you need a tester this year then I would go with Trident (assuming more will be available for retail). If you can wait then Mindstream has potential, but I definitely don't want to be in the gen 1 group.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kendrick Kemp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of the Mindstream, however I worry about the longevity of the company.

Neptune has been around a long time and I expect it to be around a long time to come, I could be wrong.

Just my personnel feelings.
I agree Neptune has been around. That I should slow down . and just wait some more.

U

User1

View Badges
I LOVE NEPTUNE APEX. BUT CANT GET A TRIDENT . THE WAIT IS KILLING ME.
BUT THE MINDSTREAM SEEMS VERY INTRESTING. ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THOUGHTS OF JUMPING SHIP SO TO SPEAK.
IF MINDSTREAM CAN ALSO BE UPDGRADED IN THE FUTRUE ALSO. I DONT SEE HOW TRIDENT CAN BE UPGRADED WITHOUT BUYING A NEW SYSTEM.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP TALK ME DOWN. 6-8 WEEK WAIT FOR MINDSTREAM IM ABOUT TO JUMP...

Zomg! The caps are strong in you.

U

User1

View Badges
Thenoobie...
I don’t get the subscription argument. You need to buy reagents for a Trident...MindStream just sends them automatically. Yes, MindStream reagents (subscription) costs more than Trident. I am choosing to pay more for the MindStream because it measures 10 things instead of 3 and because it measures every 15 minutes. You also need to remember that the Trident needs to be serviced every few years while the MindStream does not. I will not argue that the MindStream will cost more that a Trident over time but I think it is worth the extra cost. I also like the fact that MindStream has no pumps, hoses to kink, calibration, or priming. I have not seen one in person yet but guess that it makes no noise either. I think it is a much simpler unit for the end user.

All valid points. The correct answer is it will come down to what the hobbyist is willing to pay. About the best answer to it is cost per test. Even then it is going to vary by hobbyist because some will want more and others less. What we do know is that:

MS = subscription for discs
MS = 35/39 per disc per month
MS = currently unknown maintenance
Trident = paying for Reagents
Trident = 45 per 2 month reagent supply (lowest test per day est)
Trident = self service 18 months cheaper
Trident = return to vendor for service 18 months more

Someone has a pretty good chart, graph, or breakdown somewhere on this site. Basically it comes down to what you want tested, the frequency, etc. Do you want only 3, do you want all 10, do you need them all, etc. All things one must consider. Also MS is about a 6 - 8 week window while Trident is still unknown based on the current waiting lists out there.

I personally would pick MS today if it shipped different discs with tests and lower costs. Think of the Netflix subscription concept. I really do not need all 10 of those tests and if I already had a controller then I'd have pH, ORP, temp, and probably salinity. So get the disc cheaper and I'd jump in.

Trident, well, the longer they delay getting their supply chain worked out the more products come out which means more choices to stew on.

OP
OP
K

Kendrick Kemp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the caps.... I was dead set on trident only at one point. Also signed up on BRS list at about 9 o'clock first Day.
After thinking I was in line for the trident my water testing has slowed a lot. so now I want to catch that slackness, with some type of machine..

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need independent element testers. I wish Neptune made one just for alk. Like how single head dosers are becoming more popular.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back