Neptune trident

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, unfortunately, it appears there is not currently an upgrade option on the table for classic owners per Neptune's official statement on the question. That's too bad. I was looking forward to upgrading my Apex brain and getting a Trident. Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of buying a whole new system for it (particularly when my current Apex system works perfectly well and the only thing I would need additional is the brain and the Trident). It's definitely a nice accessory, but not something I can swing at this time. Hopefully at some point in the future the brain will be available by itself or perhaps bundled with the Trident as a package.

[UPDATED per Terence's response below]: I misstated in my original post that they had clarified that there wouldn't be an upgrade option for classic owners. What they actually said (and this post now reflects) is that there will not likely be an option to buy the new 2016 brain by itself anytime soon. I mistakenly took this to mean that classic owners had no path for upgrade. However, they did not specifically rule out an "upgrade option for classic owners," and so perhaps we can still hope for an upgrade bundle or some other upgrade option for classic owners that are hoping to own the Trident. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately, it appears there will not be an upgrade option for classic owners per Neptune's official statement on the question. That's too bad. I was looking forward to upgrading my Apex brain and getting a Trident. Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of buying a whole new system for it (particularly when my current Apex system works perfectly well and the only thing I would need additional is the brain and the Trident). It's definitely a nice accessory, but not something I can swing at this time. Hopefully at some point in the future the brain will be available by itself.

I encourage you to post your questions on the other thread. Also, this question was answered in that FAQ thread. I do not know how you stated that we said there "will not be an upgrade option for classic owners". Here is the exact Q/A on that FAQ:

Will the new Apex Base Unit be available separately?
At this point our demand for complete Apex Systems is so great that we cannot shift the supply to selling the Apex Base Units on their own. This may happen down the road, but customers should realize that the value in getting a complete new Apex System will always be greater than buying the components individually. The new Apex System also comes with the advanced Energy Bar 832 and a set of our new double-junction probes that many customers might need to replace anyways. And remember, the new Apex is backward compatible with all of your existing Neptune Systems products.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately, it appears there will not be an upgrade option for classic owners per Neptune's official statement on the question. That's too bad. I was looking forward to upgrading my Apex brain and getting a Trident. Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of buying a whole new system for it (particularly when my current Apex system works perfectly well and the only thing I would need additional is the brain and the Trident). It's definitely a nice accessory, but not something I can swing at this time. Hopefully at some point in the future the brain will be available by itself or perhaps bundled with the Trident as a package.

I agree, this saddens me quite a lot. I cannot justify buying a new apex system and then getting the trident on top of that. Basically what I'm saying is that I don't have an extra $1300 laying around lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I encourage you to post your questions on the other thread. Also, this question was answered in that FAQ thread. I do not know how you stated that we said there "will not be an upgrade option for classic owners". Here is the exact Q/A on that FAQ:

Will the new Apex Base Unit be available separately?
At this point our demand for complete Apex Systems is so great that we cannot shift the supply to selling the Apex Base Units on their own. This may happen down the road, but customers should realize that the value in getting a complete new Apex System will always be greater than buying the components individually. The new Apex System also comes with the advanced Energy Bar 832 and a set of our new double-junction probes that many customers might need to replace anyways. And remember, the new Apex is backward compatible with all of your existing Neptune Systems products.
Ok. Perhaps I misunderstood your post in the FAQ. My post here was aimed at clarifying a statement I had made previously in this thread with my hope that there would be something available. I understood from your statement in the FAQ that the brain would not be available by itself. It did occur to me after this post that perhaps an "upgrade bundle" might still be an option (and I just made a post requesting this in the FAQ thread). So forgive me if I misunderstood your point. My question is now posted in the other thread.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, this saddens me quite a lot. I cannot justify buying a new apex system and then getting the trident on top of that. Basically what I'm saying is that I don't have an extra $1300 laying around lol
Per Terence's post above, perhaps an upgrade bundle idea (or some other idea) will be available for classic owners. Here's hoping still. :)

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is saying monitoring Mag and Cal is unimportant. We are saying testing it twice a day is a waste. The noise of the testing is 10ppm, there is no point in testing more often than the tank consumes 10 ppm. You could make an argument about verifying your first test but any more than that is simply wasted reagent.

I suppose the second argument could be made if you use two part it would tell you if your calcium was overdosed with a stuck on pump or something but at that point you have bigger problems.
Going back to find where this was said in this thread is a waste of time as I think we have it now going forward for people interested on the product. Yes some here went at some point to say testing the other big two is basically unimportant a few pages back

I agree with your point on testing.

Last edited:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the protype worked with the apex classic before getting all the help in the world from apex making it then incompatible with the classic apex and only able to work on the new apex then

Yes I think people would be mad

But don't mind me I'm an apex hater as u have said in this thread even tho everything on my tank is run by an apex, Lol. Haha.
I didn't say you were a hater. You voiced your opinion, its all good. We move forward.

But now that we once again discuss compatibility. How do you think would people that bought the new Apex feel if they shelled out $800 to buy a said to be new apex, but everything else that came out in the future would still be 100% supported by the original? Would you care for their money wasted with orange and gray and some modules that they also had such as 1-link, ph, salinity probes, etc?

Terence is here in the thread, ask him directly why the classic worked with the alk monitor before and not afterwards, so we put this argument to bed once and for all

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna reagent is 8 bucks and lasts 25 tests, actually more like 26-27. So like nine bucks a month.
Yes how many days in a month? So I would need two for a whole month.
(And u don't get funky numbers with the last five test of the Hannah? )
Then if I test alk twice a day that's what? 2-3 three times 8 is 24.

And this is not counting calcium or magnesium so yes to me the regent price is fine with me.

BroadBno615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's worth the investment.

1st cal and mag don't change on a daily basics, so i don't see a point in testing multiple times a day. And honestly I'm not even sure alk drops that much in a day. At least no enough to check more then once a day.

2nd the Hanna checker's are automated test already . If you don't have the time for a 2 min test and the time to check on your tank then you shouldn't have one.

It's a nice idea but just seems like something for a lazy reefer. I won't be buying this one.

Now the COR on the other hand!!!! I already have the money saved for preorder. Anyone know the prices?

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this sounds good and great.. what is the accuracy before dishing out that much to test. available when?

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's worth the investment.

1st cal and mag don't change on a daily basics, so i don't see a point in testing multiple times a day. And honestly I'm not even sure alk drops that much in a day. At least no enough to check more then once a day.

2nd the Hanna checker's are automated test already . If you don't have the time for a 2 min test and the time to check on your tank then you shouldn't have one.

It's a nice idea but just seems like something for a lazy reefer. I won't be buying this one.

Now the COR on the other hand!!!! I already have the money saved for preorder. Anyone know the prices?
Some days i have dropped 1dkh in a day. Adding 50 to 150ml. I mudt test. Because my tank has swings.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna reagent is 8 bucks and lasts 25 tests, actually more like 26-27. So like nine bucks a month.

"Hanna reagent is 8 bucks and lasts 25 tests, actually more like 26-27. So like nine bucks a month".... so that's like $.30 per test

The Trident ALK reagent will last for 2 months if tested 4 times per day. So that's roughly 240 tests for $40... which is $.17 per test. AND that $40 includes the calcium and magnesium tests at 2 times per day for 2 months. Sounds like a bargain to me!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back