Nero 3 died should I get an MP10?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just a vent post tbh b/c it’s the holiday weekend and there’s not much to do until Tuesday. But I bought a Nero 3 sometime last summer — don’t think it was quite a year ago yet — and have absolutely loved it. I bought it b/c the cheap wavemaker I got wasn’t controllable, and I also wanted more flow, and the price point was better than the MP10 that I really wanted.

Anyway, today I was around all morning and all was well. Left for a run for about an hour or two, come back and the Nero was blinking red. I did it all, including a factory reset and taking it apart and cleaning it, but no luck. The old cheap, less powerful wavemaker is in there now as backup until I figure out next steps. I guess it’s still under warranty so I’ll check in w/AI on Tuesday.

BUT thoughts: Should I order the MP10 I’d initially wanted?

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoTech has a 10% off sale on the MP10 until Tuesday, so you probably won't find a better opportunity until Black Friday.
I saw that and it got me itchy to get one, so I prob will order one. It’s only 10% tho, which is dumb. Probably should’ve got one to begin w/instead of trying to save. Lesson learned — get what you really want/think is best, not what is less expensive.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that and it got me itchy to get one, so I prob will order one. It’s only 10% tho, which is dumb. Probably should’ve got one to begin w/instead of trying to save. Lesson learned — get what you really want/think is best, not what is less expensive.
They're both made by the same company (EcoTech).

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep and yep.
I just googled, yeah. They still operate individually tho it looks like. Anyway, I did like the MP10 better and wanted one, but thought the Nero was a good middle ground — but not if it dies after less than a year.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my mp10. I have a Nero3 in the box for my newer tank though. Mp10s are expensive. If I didn't get a good deal on a used Nero 3 I would have gone jebao

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just googled, yeah. They still operate individually tho it looks like. Anyway, I did like the MP10 better and wanted one, but thought the Nero was a good middle ground — but not if it dies after less than a year.
Some of the AI stuff can be hit and miss occasionally. But if you really want an MP10 you should get one. I can't say what pre-empted the 10% off sale, ie: whether they're announcing new models or not.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my mp10. I have a Nero3 in the box for my newer tank though. Mp10s are expensive. If I didn't get a good deal on a used Nero 3 I would have gone jebao
I looked for the jebao! That was my very first though, ha. Those and the Nero are not to be found anywhere rn. I guess everyone is buying them b/c the Nero is unavailable rn. I’m prob gonna get the mp10 tho b/c it’s what I originally wanted.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and like both just the same, I’d contact the company, always nice to replace the flow exactly the same as it was

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Probably just a vent post tbh b/c it’s the holiday weekend and there’s not much to do until Tuesday. But I bought a Nero 3 sometime last summer — don’t think it was quite a year ago yet — and have absolutely loved it. I bought it b/c the cheap wavemaker I got wasn’t controllable, and I also wanted more flow, and the price point was better than the MP10 that I really wanted.

Anyway, today I was around all morning and all was well. Left for a run for about an hour or two, come back and the Nero was blinking red. I did it all, including a factory reset and taking it apart and cleaning it, but no luck. The old cheap, less powerful wavemaker is in there now as backup until I figure out next steps. I guess it’s still under warranty so I’ll check in w/AI on Tuesday.

BUT thoughts: Should I order the MP10 I’d initially wanted?
Same manufacturer
If you sell the N-3 for parts, I may be interested

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo. I got one, it's here, it's in my tank and running, and the app will not connect. It initially did, and I was in the middle of setting up my schedule when I got kicked out and a message saying "Sorry, we can't connect to this tank." No matter how many times I reboot and retry, the app will not connect. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do to fix it? My phone is connected to Bluetooth and so is Mobius, so is my Apple Watch and literally every other bluetooth thing I own, but the app will not connect to the pump!

Now I'm worried about having spent so much money on this thing...

Edit: After rebooting the pump one more time, I got the app to connect long enough to complete my schedule. But it's definitely temperamental -- kicked me out w/the same error message multiple times during the process. Do others have this experience as well?

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo. I got one, it's here, it's in my tank and running, and the app will not connect. It initially did, and I was in the middle of setting up my schedule when I got kicked out and a message saying "Sorry, we can't connect to this tank." No matter how many times I reboot and retry, the app will not connect. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do to fix it? My phone is connected to Bluetooth and so is Mobius, so is my Apple Watch and literally every other bluetooth thing I own, but the app will not connect to the pump!

Now I'm worried about having spent so much money on this thing...

Edit: After rebooting the pump one more time, I got the app to connect long enough to complete my schedule. But it's definitely temperamental -- kicked me out w/the same error message multiple times during the process. Do others have this experience as well?
I’ve never actually tried mobius, but people LOVE to hate it. Mine are from the pre mobius era, or perhaps I’ve just never connected them to my phone. The flow is unbeatable! Can’t speak to the app.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never actually tried mobius, but people LOVE to hate it. Mine are from the pre mobius era, or perhaps I’ve just never connected them to my phone. The flow is unbeatable! Can’t speak to the app.
Well, I was finally able to set a schedule so at least there's that. I do love it already. I wanted the controllability with all the different settings -- there's way more than the Nero has, and I'm oddly excited about Nutrient Export. Strange about Mobius tho, b/c the AI app was always pretty consistent for me and I know the same developer made them.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was finally able to set a schedule so at least there's that. I do love it already. I wanted the controllability with all the different settings -- there's way more than the Nero has, and I'm oddly excited about Nutrient Export. Strange about Mobius tho, b/c the AI app was always pretty consistent for me and I know the same developer made them.
All of my gear is good but older so most of it predates apps. I was so impressed with the ai app for my prime light. The future is now!

one of these days I will need to reconnect my first gen apexes to the internet…

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my gear is good but older so most of it predates apps. I was so impressed with the ai app for my prime light. The future is now!

one of these days I will need to reconnect my first gen apexes to the internet…
I was against it all at first but now I'm all about smart home in all the ways, including my reef haha. I still deep down have reservations b/c I know this stuff can be hacked, but it's amazing. The first time I set up a smart outlet I was excitedly turning lights on and off with the app -- ON MY APPLE WATCH -- like an idiot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back