Nero 3 died should I get an MP10?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was against it all at first but now I'm all about smart home in all the ways, including my reef haha. I still deep down have reservations b/c I know this stuff can be hacked, but it's amazing. The first time I set up a smart outlet I was excitedly turning lights on and off with the app -- ON MY APPLE WATCH -- like an idiot.
Oh I’m all for it. I have nest everything now For the house. i just can’t justify replacing two functional MP40s and two MP10s for the benefit of the app. I will say that my positive opinion of the AI app was why I picked up a Nero 3 instead of the knockoff version with no app.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all of this stuff, and automate my tanks as much as budget allows….but when it comes to connecting to my apps, it’s all crap so far in my personal experience randomly disconnecting or having issues,,,mobius, ai, apex…***

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 Nero 3s now, used to have the MP10. I feel like the MP10 had more flow, but perhaps that's because I had it on a smaller tank years ago. Also think the MP10 had better modes --it would really get a standing wave going in the tank.

This time I was kind of stuck with the Nero 3 because the MP10's dry side isn't waterproof and the back of my tank has a RO reservoir on it. I didn't want to stick the powerheads to the side of the glass.

If they ever decide to make the dry sides submersible, I'd definitely buy one because I miss the no cord in the tank aspect.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Nero 3s now, used to have the MP10. I feel like the MP10 had more flow, but perhaps that's because I had it on a smaller tank years ago. Also think the MP10 had better modes --it would really get a standing wave going in the tank.

This time I was kind of stuck with the Nero 3 because the MP10's dry side isn't waterproof and the back of my tank has a RO reservoir on it. I didn't want to stick the powerheads to the side of the glass.

If they ever decide to make the dry sides submersible, I'd definitely buy one because I miss the no cord in the tank aspect.
I feel like it does have more flow. And I feel like if you could put the best aspects of each into one pump it would be the best pump that ever existed.

I originally went w/the Nero b/c of the slim design — the Nero 3 is just the best design for a nano tank hands down IMO. But the no cord in the tank aspect of the MP10 is ideal to me.

The Nero flow was great (until it prematurely stopped working), but there were way less flow settings, and I’m finding the MP10 to definitely be more powerful — I’m running it at about 15% and things look the same as they did when I ran the Nero at 25%. I also feel like the random flow settings might just be better on the MP10. But you can’t specify and set the low and high points like you can w/the Nero.

I also appreciated that you can angle the Nero, slight as it may be. W/the MP10 I cant do that at all.

Also the Mobius app kinda sucks. Connectivity is inexplicably spotty every time I try to use it.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo. I got one, it's here, it's in my tank and running, and the app will not connect. It initially did, and I was in the middle of setting up my schedule when I got kicked out and a message saying "Sorry, we can't connect to this tank." No matter how many times I reboot and retry, the app will not connect. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do to fix it? My phone is connected to Bluetooth and so is Mobius, so is my Apple Watch and literally every other bluetooth thing I own, but the app will not connect to the pump!

Now I'm worried about having spent so much money on this thing...

Edit: After rebooting the pump one more time, I got the app to connect long enough to complete my schedule. But it's definitely temperamental -- kicked me out w/the same error message multiple times during the process. Do others have this experience as well?
I’ve ran Mobius since it was introduced with mp10’s and haven’t had a problem. I added the return pump and haven’t had a problem.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like it does have more flow. And I feel like if you could put the best aspects of each into one pump it would be the best pump that ever existed.

I originally went w/the Nero b/c of the slim design — the Nero 3 is just the best design for a nano tank hands down IMO. But the no cord in the tank aspect of the MP10 is ideal to me.

The Nero flow was great (until it prematurely stopped working), but there were way less flow settings, and I’m finding the MP10 to definitely be more powerful — I’m running it at about 15% and things look the same as they did when I ran the Nero at 25%. I also feel like the random flow settings might just be better on the MP10. But you can’t specify and set the low and high points like you can w/the Nero.

I also appreciated that you can angle the Nero, slight as it may be. W/the MP10 I cant do that at all.

Also the Mobius app kinda sucks. Connectivity is inexplicably spotty every time I try to use it.
Yep I know it's a specific use case because there aren't too many tanks that have ATO reservoirs on the back, however, I imagine that lots of AIO tank owners would love a waterproof dry side to mount the MP10/MP40 on the back wall.

Also doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to waterproof it since it's already sealed for the most part.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s all over fwiw the Nero has a 1 year warranty and they are very good about it.

I have had my Nero 3 lock on me 4 times…. Each time they have sent me a new unit and the warranty resets. Not a great record for reliability, but the service and replacement has been great by AI. I *much* prefer it over mp10, I hate the motor on the side and imo mp10 seems to flow less, however I ran my tank with both and the mp10 never broke and like I said this is #4 nero3…… still now I have a new unit and the year warranty reset. I ask that every time!

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While it’s all over fwiw the Nero has a 1 year warranty and they are very good about it.

I have had my Nero 3 lock on me 4 times…. Each time they have sent me a new unit and the warranty resets. Not a great record for reliability, but the service and replacement has been great by AI. I *much* prefer it over mp10, I hate the motor on the side and imo mp10 seems to flow less, however I ran my tank with both and the mp10 never broke and like I said this is #4 nero3…… still now I have a new unit and the year warranty reset. I ask that every time!
Yikes! That’s kind of concerning. The only time I’ve seen a red error light was when a piece of gravel got stuck. Once I cleared it-it’s been working fine.

I’m glad they honor their warranty though. I’m definitely expecting more than a year out of my two…

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just a vent post tbh b/c it’s the holiday weekend and there’s not much to do until Tuesday. But I bought a Nero 3 sometime last summer — don’t think it was quite a year ago yet — and have absolutely loved it. I bought it b/c the cheap wavemaker I got wasn’t controllable, and I also wanted more flow, and the price point was better than the MP10 that I really wanted.

Anyway, today I was around all morning and all was well. Left for a run for about an hour or two, come back and the Nero was blinking red. I did it all, including a factory reset and taking it apart and cleaning it, but no luck. The old cheap, less powerful wavemaker is in there now as backup until I figure out next steps. I guess it’s still under warranty so I’ll check in w/AI on Tuesday.

BUT thoughts: Should I order the MP10 I’d initially wanted?
If not a year yet. They sent me a replacement contact them and see. They also told me things to try first.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I def did put a ticket in for the Nero and am still waiting to hear back. I’ve been busy at work this week but as soon as I have some free time I plan to call them.

Your story is what scares me tbh. I’m like if it happened once do I risk it happening again? I just happened to be around when it died this time but what if I had been away over the holiday weekend for days? It def spooked me into feeling much less trust in that pump even if it gets fixed or replaced.

So far the MP10 is looking more powerful than the Nero for me. I started w/it at the same % as I’d had the Nero, and almost blew a few corals away lol.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess my urchin likes the new flow from the MP10 — I just looked in and he’s at the water line with smoke coming out of his top, like he’s spawning. He’s still a baby but has def gotten noticeably bigger since I got him earlier this year. I call him Roomba.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def did put a ticket in for the Nero and am still waiting to hear back. I’ve been busy at work this week but as soon as I have some free time I plan to call them.

Your story is what scares me tbh. I’m like if it happened once do I risk it happening again? I just happened to be around when it died this time but what if I had been away over the holiday weekend for days? It def spooked me into feeling much less trust in that pump even if it gets fixed or replaced.

So far the MP10 is looking more powerful than the Nero for me. I started w/it at the same % as I’d had the Nero, and almost blew a few corals away lol.
Interesting about the flow since it seemed like the exact opposite to me but yeah my story isn’t the greatest for the Nero 3. But if you do the exchange it only takes like 2 days and since they all broke under a year the pump has been going for years now lol.

fwiw I have a friend that got one a little after me and he has has absolutely no issues so who the heck knows.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have 2 and they have been going great (after the 1 replacement last year).

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this pump is awesome.

I honestly loved the Nero a ton and would have been happy with that for years, but the settings on this MP10 are fantastic. I didn’t know what I was missing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back