Neros vs Vortech

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neros are absolute trash! I picked up a pair of Nero 5s as a backup to my 13 year old MP40s. I have replaced the wetsides once. I clean them once a year. They are bulletproof. I have my neros setup on a 40g backup tank while I rework my main. Every couple of days, they lose their programming and default to a slow speed. I can tell when I open MyAI and the date is 1969. I must then cycle the power on them to get them back on their schedule. If you are debating these two brands, spend the extra money on the Vortechs.
20231115_174117.jpg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I wonder what the problem is. I have 16 Nero’s split between 3’s and 5’s and have only had to reset a couple in 28 months.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Neros. I had an almost brand new vortech mp10 that the stupid wet side rusted up and swelled up the cover.
I was PO'd!

The only thing I dont like about the nero is the wire in the tank, but I'm over it.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for their size they are really good. I use 2 of them in my 36" long 45 gallon and they're awesome.
I will admit I am adding a Jebao SCP 90 on one side for added wave action. Moved up from a IM SR60 to the 90 gallon this past week.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Nero user, most of the people that I know that run mp’s complain about noise. Ive never had to reset any of my 5’a or 7’s. The only complaint I have is they need to make it so you can take the dang controller off the cable and make it detachable. Really annoying considering the controller is easily susceptible to water damage.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neros are absolute trash! I picked up a pair of Nero 5s as a backup to my 13 year old MP40s. I have replaced the wetsides once. I clean them once a year. They are bulletproof. I have my neros setup on a 40g backup tank while I rework my main. Every couple of days, they lose their programming and default to a slow speed. I can tell when I open MyAI and the date is 1969. I must then cycle the power on them to get them back on their schedule. If you are debating these two brands, spend the extra money on the Vortechs.
20231115_174117.jpg
It's hard to go from vortechs to anything else.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Neros in my 80g and they’ve been great. In the past I had all different sizes of MPs for many years, and after switching to Neros I am beyond pleased with the performance and cost savings.

Make sure you check for firmware updates if you’re having a persistent disconnection problem.

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to ammend my opinion. Neros are not trash. Once I hooked them up to Mobius, I no longer lost connection. If you are having trouble like I did, ditch MyAI and switch to Mobius. I still perfer MyAI for my Hydras though which is the best light you can get when measuring watts/$ on the used market. MP40s are still what one wants of they can afford it. They are so much more powerful and have much greater programmability.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back