Never again marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else feel like they get stiffed everything they purchase from the market place. There are too many people that lie about their items. Some sellers "upgrade" 3 to 5 lights per month if you look at their threads. I think they have a fish store and take items in on trade then sell them here as lightly used. Some items I have bought were internally messed with with warranty stickers cut. That item was also listed as only setup to test, brand new. Now im stuck with a dosing pump that I would never resale because of unknown history. I also purchased a light, "like new only used for 2 months" first the light came with a large tested sticker that screams refurbished. Then the light does not work at all. Seller is on r2r but ignores my messages. The unregulated selling on the marketplace is horrible. Great idea, but too many people take advantage. I'll never use marketplace again.

16121177091338758365310266114042.jpg 16121177432446663684954694251733.jpg 16119813568724579097789016586728.jpg 16121177875292637061228639713109.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone is misrepresenting items or are scamming in any way please report the sale thread with the explanation and we will take a look. If we find it to be true the member will lose their ability to use the marketplace.

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost every purchase I have made. That dosing pump works, but it was opened for sure. They hydra seller ignores my messages now I am stuck going through PayPal.

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have learned my lesson. I've only been reefing for 6 months. I didn't think people would be so dishonest in a community type forum. I'll only buy new from now on. That's about a 1k mistake on my part, buy used buy junk.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I have learned my lesson. I've only been reefing for 6 months. I didn't think people would be so dishonest in a community type forum. I'll only buy new from now on. That's about a 1k mistake on my part, buy used buy junk.
People will be dishonest in any outlet where they can make money off of someone else sadly...

Paypal is pretty good at getting your refund though, although it can take a long time to resolve

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 3 out of 4 purchases from drygoods marketplace be negative. Maybe I have bad luck, maybe they sell items here because places like ebay will hold them accountable.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, mine have all been good. Using PayPal gives you a lot of protection from dishonest sellers as long as you don't send the money as a gift. Things are no different on ebay. There are plenty of dishonest sellers there as well as Craigslist.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep ppl buy stuff lowballing others and resell at a profit. It’s the American way

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, or maybe luckily, I’ve never had a bad experience buying from forums related to any of my hobbies. The last thing I bought through the market place here was a never used Apex with a bunch of modules.

pit was exactly as the seller said it was, came packaged better than what the manufacturer does and I saved about. $400.00 over what I was about to pay for the same package.

But, I know it happens and likely just a matter of how often and how much you buy from forum market places.

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep ppl buy stuff lowballing others and resell at a profit. It’s the American way

I am sorry to hear about the bad experience. I have had some good experiences and bad ones. I have found a search of their history helps (whether on R2R or Facebook Marketplace).

I would say this is where some of the issues come from. Resellers likely don’t know the history (and maybe even paint a rosier picture than what is reality).

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has more selling posts than other posts there is a huge red flag. Especially when they claim stuff like just opened to test or used to mock up.

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The forums used to have itrader feedback next to the users avatar similar to ebay.

Never been burned trusting itrader :)

Sucks this happened to you though :(
Seller feedback would be nice. The pictures are from 2 different sellers. I also had a kessil 160 die a few months after getting it from here. I work in aviation electronics and repair equipment. I opened the kessisl and it had huge solder globs everywhere and obvious repairs done.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seller feedback would be nice. The pictures are from 2 different sellers. I also had a kessil 160 die a few months after getting it from here. I work in aviation electronics and repair equipment. I opened the kessisl and it had huge solder globs everywhere and obvious repairs done.
That indeed does suck.

Ive recieved 4 hydra fixtures in total from two different sellers, one was a partial trade for coral.
Needless to say, i asked for lots of timestamped photos of the lights on and connected to the director. (Working properly)

The only issue i had was the fans were noisy which likely happened from shipping.
I told the seller dont worry about it and purchased 2 fans myself to install.

Its hard to trust any sellers when you cant get a good judge of their character.
I always sigh relief when the person im dealing with has recent posts in the forums :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So sad.
Buyers:
-Look for feedback
-aSK FOR PICTURES AND WITH CURRENT DATE ON A PIECE OF PAPER NEXT TO ITEM
- ask for video or pics of item plugged in WITH DATE on paper showing it works
- When paying w/PayPal. . in the payment notes, state for working xxxx Shipped as on R2R
- Save copy of ad when you bought item

In your case, check with Ai to see if a claim was attempted by seller for warranty or repair and deemed out of warranty Prior to listing

Sorry this happened to you and Any reefer. Take Revhtree's advice

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad.
Buyers:
-Look for feedback
-aSK FOR PICTURES AND WITH CURRENT DATE ON A PIECE OF PAPER NEXT TO ITEM
- ask for video or pics of item plugged in WITH DATE on paper showing it works
- When paying w/PayPal. . in the payment notes, state for working xxxx Shipped as on R2R
- Save copy of ad when you bought item

In your case, check with Ai to see if a claim was attempted by seller for warranty or repair and deemed out of warranty Prior to listing

Sorry this happened to you and Any reefer. Take Revhtree's advice
I have reported sellers. Not too sure of the ethics of just posting pictures of the items on the sellers thread, but I have thought about it.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stick to buying from people in my local area where I can go pickup said item. If it doesn’t look right or somethings weird I’ll just pass on it.

OP
OP
B

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't know if it is funny or frustrating that I've been trying to contact a seller for 2 days, and I see them online every few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 114 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back