Never dealing with Fedex again!

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried out USPS at all Sonny? Curious as it seems we all assume USPS will suck, and don't even bother with them. Or is it that UPS/FedEx make it worthwhile for business's and USPS is geared towards individuals?

With the discount that I get from UPS it is similarly prices as USPS (Used to use USPS way back in the days). I can't say the exact percentage since they said that is deemed confidential.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to manage a UPS Store and would never recommend a retail location to ship corals unless its a place you know and trust. 2 reasons for this. 1) being that a lot of them are franchise stores and so there is a lot of variation with the quality of service and the amount of care put into your packages and their deadlines and 2) being that some of these employees just dont give a @$% because theyre getting paid $8 an hour and they just dont care(clearly an issue in your case). If you package your things properly and bring them to the hub (sometimes a p.i.t.a) youll have a much better experience. Plus, you can bring it to the hub a lot later at night (8pm ususally) which means the corals spend less time in their bags. Hope this helps, Pete

+1 or have UPS/FedEx come pick it up. It only costs $6 for them to come get it.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than a couple isolated instances, my dealings with FedEx have been ok. I did have some issues in the beginning when I was shipping from a local FedEx shop. It wasn't until Marvin told me I'd be better off shipping at the airport did things turn out best. The staff at the airport FedEx is great and they take care of my stuff. I'm usually in and out in within 15 seconds. Everything I ship is labeled so I don't have to wait on the line that is always present. Being that this is where all FedEx packages in southeastern Michigan feed into, the packages do much better when shipped from here. I also have until 9pm to drop off packages which is great. It is about 45-60 minutes round trip, but its worth it to ensure that the corals arrive safe.

But still, stuff does happen. I may have to check out UPS if it is cheaper to ship.

Sonny

We were discussing this briefly the other day (thanks again for your insights). I have thought a lot about it since, and think you are spot-on in your approach. You do seem to go "out of your way," but don't all the best? It seems admirable to me, and seems to have no drawback (except your extra effort). Congrats on your official "exemplar" status.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they gave me bulk pricing on 4 pallets. When they came in I was like WOAH! where the heck are we going to put all these!? THey were 4 ft x 4 ft x 10 ft tall. It was funny unloading them because customers thought we were getting a huge livestock shipment in and we were picking the pallets up by hand over our heads with no effort, they looked at us weird.

The only downside to a cooler that I see is that it would cost more to ship that extra 2lbs, it could mean the difference of $10-$30 shipping cost sometimes, but for an expensive item it's worth it.

Okay, same argument applies. Is the life of the critter worth the cost? You already know my answer.

However, keep in mind that I am just a collector, not a seller. I don't have to eat the extra cost too often.

But, also consider what your customers' wishes might be.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since some of the "big boys" are in the room, can I ask an off-topic question? Unfortunately, I can't wait for your answer, so I'll just ask.

I usually prefer to buy a LOT of stuff at one time. At minimum, I steer above the "free" shipping minimums.

Do most buyers purchase similarly, or do most buy 1 or 2 things and pay for the otherwise "free" shipping?

P.S., There is no such thing as free shipping. We aren't idiots (well, I am....but no other reef-keepers are).

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since some of the "big boys" are in the room, can I ask an off-topic question? Unfortunately, I can't wait for your answer, so I'll just ask.

I usually prefer to buy a LOT of stuff at one time. At minimum, I steer above the "free" shipping minimums.

Do most buyers purchase similarly, or do most buy 1 or 2 things and pay for the otherwise "free" shipping?

P.S., There is no such thing as free shipping. We aren't idiots (well, I am....but no other reef-keepers are).

There are more people that buy items that include shipping than anything else. IE: Frag packs that include shipping
Here and there people hit my free shipping mark of $400 I would say 1 out of 8-10 customers.
The rest have no problem paying for shipping, but I usually include a freebie in there equal the cost of the shipping.

Hope that kinda answers what you are asking.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people purchase on the lower end from me and pay for the shipping.

What do you mean by there is no such thing as free shipping?

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to manage a UPS Store and would never recommend a retail location to ship corals unless its a place you know and trust. 2 reasons for this. 1) being that a lot of them are franchise stores and so there is a lot of variation with the quality of service and the amount of care put into your packages and their deadlines and 2) being that some of these employees just dont give a @$% because theyre getting paid $8 an hour and they just dont care(clearly an issue in your case). If you package your things properly and bring them to the hub (sometimes a p.i.t.a) youll have a much better experience. Plus, you can bring it to the hub a lot later at night (8pm ususally) which means the corals spend less time in their bags. Hope this helps, Pete

Phew. I'm glad you said "used to." You almost got yourself "forever exiled" from here by being on the enemy's team.

Sorry, I had to. You are in a "let's bash shipping companies" thread, afterall!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more people that buy items that include shipping than anything else. IE: Frag packs that include shipping
Here and there people hit my free shipping mark of $400 I would say 1 out of 8-10 customers.
The rest have no problem paying for shipping, but I usually include a freebie in there equal the cost of the shipping.

Hope that kinda answers what you are asking.

It does answer the question. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase over the course of a month or so and have it all shipped at the same time... I don't even ask shipping prices since I'm way over a grand most of the time it's not even thought about lol..

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people purchase on the lower end from me and pay for the shipping.

What do you mean by there is no such thing as free shipping?

Thanks for your reply. I was just curious. Much appreciated.
-----

What do you mean "what do I mean?" I mean that there is no such thing as "free" shipping.

Although FedEx should never be paid ANYTHING AT ALL, they certainly are. Shipping isn't free.

Someone eats the cost...that is, "it all comes out in the wash." If I meet the "free" shipping mark, you aren't losing money (otherwise, the "free" shipping wouldn't be made available, or you would quickly be forced to go out of business)! Faster turnover for you = less salt for these critters to consume.... ... ... ... So, it is still I (the buyer) who am generally eating the cost.

Sorry to bring this up, if it's a sore spot. Certainly don't want to create controversy.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase over the course of a month or so and have it all shipped at the same time... I don't even ask shipping prices since I'm way over a grand most of the time it's not even thought about lol..

Who all let's you do that? Please, do tell.

Hold nothing back, my friend. I want ALL of their names.

Buckaroo Banzai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if you put glass fragile on the package and put a G Shock sensor on it and they trip that sensor they owe you money. They also make a temperature one.
one of these:
Shock Watch, Shockwatch in Stock - ULINE

If i seen one of those and I worked for FedEx/UPS i'd be treating that package with ultra sensitive care. More of a physiological thing.

If you use one of the sensors make sure you make a note on the BoL that one was placed on shipment and what type. . Other wise you have no proof that you placed one on.. I know as I have removed many off of shipments that were dropped/tipped over (I work in freight/trucking). It’s even a good idea to outline it with a black marker and take pictures.

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with Fedex. I had a few problems with UPS, but I garantee USPS sucks. I had a ricordea rock sent to me overnight a few years ago and it took 7 days. Thay said they read the zip wrong. The ricordea melted off the rock and was totally dead. USPS EXPRESS OVERNIGHT SUCKS. To start with they will not garantee anything. I had a very expensive gold coin lost for over a month with USPS. I bet if you was at a different fedex facility this would not have happened. Please dont give up on them, I have seen them all screw up. The money they make they ought to be the best around.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny part was they delerived it 3 days later which I told them but they must not of scanned it so they said it was still lost. It worked out better for me cuz I actually got to claim it being it was lost and got my money back and reshipped new corals.

You do realize that the vendor who shipped you the new corals ate the cost for something that was not their fault, right?

CJ

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same about ups. Just plain not nice people. I ask the guy how hes doing, and he throws a box at me and drives away without even turning off the truck.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it frustrating to work with all those companies. They just aren't reliable. I had 3 Fedex packages not delivered when I was home all day and no slips left. With UPS they deliver to the wrong buildings and I have to run around the neighborhood to find the packages. I just can't take that risk selling to a hobbyist. I can't afford to replace/refund money for lost corals if Fedex or UPS slips up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back