New 14G Tank

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 14G that is about two weeks old at this point. I just noticed today that there is a lot more brown algae on my nice clean white live sand! This is a good thing right?:eek:oh:

Water Perimeters as of Thursday

Ammonia----0.50
PH----------7.8
NO3---------0ppm
NO2---------0ppm

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is a bit low. Ditoms are noral during cycle and should go away soon. I wouldnt run lights during cycle to help from unwated algae from growing

OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so this is normal. Thanks I am glad to find a site were my dumb question maybe answered! I am sure I will have many more of them.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out this gunk

I let my tank cycle for a while before adding anything, got some hair algae, and some other gross gunk on sand and glass, after a few weeks, added a couple of snails, ans a small starfish, sand is clean and white, and glass is pretty clean too. Pic is after cycling.

Attachments

• fish tank project 007.jpg
    fish tank project 007.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 115
  • fish tank project 011.jpg
    fish tank project 011.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyones comments! This is my tank one week old!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well it is week two of my Nano Reef Tank.... Here are my water perimeters!

Ammonia.........0.25
PH..................8.2
Nitrate.............0.00
Nitrites.............0.00

So please tell me what you is going on and you think is this a good thing?

blackhawk86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your ph looks better just remember to keep it as stable as possible. Do you have anyfish in your tank? If not now might be the time to add 1 docile small fish to continue the cycle like a green chromis. Once your nitrites start to build you will see your nitrates start to build at this point you should start to see amm fall slowly then nitrites fall slowly all the while nitrates keeps rising. when amm and nitrites read 0 the cycle is done and you can now do a water change and add another fish if you like. Just remember slow and steady and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your ph looks better just remember to keep it as stable as possible. Do you have anyfish in your tank? If not now might be the time to add 1 docile small fish to continue the cycle like a green chromis. Once your nitrites start to build you will see your nitrates start to build at this point you should start to see amm fall slowly then nitrites fall slowly all the while nitrates keeps rising. when amm and nitrites read 0 the cycle is done and you can now do a water change and add another fish if you like. Just remember slow and steady and you'll be fine.

Ok, so I did add a fish today a yellow tile damsel.. So what you thinking one more week that is kind of what I was thinking..

blackhawk86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a yellow tail to cycle my first tank i still have it and ill never buy another one again. Those fish are the meanest things ive ever seen it even bites me when i clean up the tank or spot feed. I would wait a while to get another fish though seeing as theres less than 14g in your system and could cause a crash. Its hard but hang in there for the cycle to finish meanwhile when you see nitrates start to climb add a few snails or blue leg hermits or you could add 1 or 2 ricordeas to look at. Adding these will not add much to the bioload and will add more life to the tank.

OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a Oceanic Protein Skimmer! My question for all of you is this Protein Skimmer worth it? Do i still use the filter cartages? If I don't still use them then I believe it may pay for itself!

lkjr409

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda depends on what you expect to put in the tank...
just coral and may 1 small fish: maybe you won't need a skimmer if you do frequent water changes....more fish (more bioload) = skimmer

OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 Of my 14G Nano-Reef Tank

Ammonia----0.0
PH----------8.2
NO3---------0ppm
NO2---------0ppm
KH----------11 (Drops really dont know how to calcite KH)

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ditto im not too sure on the KH too..........if anyone can chime in........is the KH averaged out when the blue solution changes in color or does it have to be yellow.??? cause ive had the solution turn from blue->green->after one more drop-> yellow

OP
OP
CKominski

CKominski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 Of my 14G Nano-Reef Tank

Ammonia----0.0
PH----------8.2
NO3---------0ppm
NO2---------0ppm
KH----------11 (Drops really dont know how to calcite KH)

Ok I have a question now hopefully someone can answer. I was wondering when I should do my first water change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back