New 175g HELP me decide second batch of fish.

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have two clowns in QT tank.
Planning to add them in about two weeks.

These are the first fish going into my 175g display that will be a mixed reef.

I would like to get 2+ fish into QT as soon as possible after the clowns are out.

Long term plan is to have 2-3 tangs.
Also I will have at least one mandarin later down the line so to me that means no wrasses.

I would like to add something easy but fun to watch. I think I’m landing on a Midas blenny and possibly a very young bristletooth tang first.

I would prefer to do something else instead of the bristle tooth tang for now

Can a starry blenny or lawnmower blenny get along with a Midas blenny?

Was also thinking to do a Midas blenny and some sort of goby or jawfish?

Help me out. On some mostly peaceful but fun to watch fish that are decently hardy.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose hawk is always a good one.
Also I will have at least one mandarin later down the line so to me that means no wrasses.
Fairy and flasher wrasse don't eat pods. Definitely stay way from 6 line, 4 line, 8 line, and mystery wrasse.

Probably in a 175, yes. Tons of gobies to choose from. Jawfish are cool. Don't get the cooler water Blue spot though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term plan is to have 2-3 tangs.
This is incorrect;
Wrasses wait for their next meal, Mandarins won’t. Also think about your tank size - 20-25 wrasses will fit in there with a mandarin if you really wanted.
I have 4 wrasses in a 3’x16”x1’ tank with a Mandarin - 3 of the 4 are pod eaters and my mandarin remains fat even 5-6 months later.
You can have Sand Sleepers and Fairies and Flashers, they will not affect a mandarin’s health unless you get a Pseudocheilinus (the ‘Lined’ Wrasses) species.
I would like to add something easy but fun to watch. I think I’m landing on a Midas blenny and possibly a very young bristletooth tang first.

I would prefer to do something else instead of the bristle tooth tang for now
I’d go for a couple (3-4) Wrasses in this mix, these will dart round and have colour. Species from the Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus genera are best for now, later down the line you can have species from Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses and so on but to have these you’ll need a sand bed of Atleast 1” depth (ideally 2-3”).

First off, yes they likely can get along as you have the size of tank on your side. Just make sure they each have a good amount of hiding spots.

I’d go for a Yellow Head Jawfish if you want one - Blue Spots are temperate species and have shortened lifespans in tropical tanks. Also I’d aim for a 2-3” sandbed for a Yellow Head so it has enough sand to bury in.

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Long nose hawk is always a good one.

Fairy and flasher wrasse don't eat pods. Definitely stay way from 6 line, 4 line, 8 line, and mystery wrasse.

Probably in a 175, yes. Tons of gobies to choose from. Jawfish are cool. Don't get the cooler water Blue spot though.
seriously? I thought any wrasse would go after all the pods. I’ll look into that.

The long nose hawks are really cool but I don’t want one because I plan on having a few shrimp. I may try the flame hawk later after the cleaner shrimp are more settled in.

OP
OP
ROMN8R

ROMN8R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incorrect;
Wrasses wait for their next meal, Mandarins won’t. Also think about your tank size - 20-25 wrasses will fit in there with a mandarin if you really wanted.
I have 4 wrasses in a 3’x16”x1’ tank with a Mandarin - 3 of the 4 are pod eaters and my mandarin remains fat even 5-6 months later.
You can have Sand Sleepers and Fairies and Flashers, they will not affect a mandarin’s health unless you get a Pseudocheilinus (the ‘Lined’ Wrasses) species.

I’d go for a couple (3-4) Wrasses in this mix, these will dart round and have colour. Species from the Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus genera are best for now, later down the line you can have species from Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses and so on but to have these you’ll need a sand bed of Atleast 1” depth (ideally 2-3”).

First off, yes they likely can get along as you have the size of tank on your side. Just make sure they each have a good amount of hiding spots.

I’d go for a Yellow Head Jawfish if you want one - Blue Spots are temperate species and have shortened lifespans in tropical tanks. Also I’d aim for a 2-3” sandbed for a Yellow Head so it has enough sand to bury in.
Thank you! I’m going to look into the wrasse families more.
Which type of wrasse don’t eat pods that much would be the most peaceful while the tank is young and will be cool as I add more fish later?
I don’t have a problem making sure they are fed but I am trying to put the most peaceful and smaller fish first so they can get established and grow.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously? I thought any wrasse would go after all the pods. I’ll look into that.
Fairy wrasses (Genus Cirrhilabrus) and Flasher wrasses (Genus Paracheilinus) are plankton eaters. Common ones you can find at chain pet stores would be Lubbock fairy or carpenter's flasher.
The long nose hawks are really cool but I don’t want one because I plan on having a few shrimp. I may try the flame hawk later after the cleaner shrimp are more settled in.
Long nose would probably be safer than a flame. If you want harlequin or sexy shrimp, then maybe avoid hawks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back