New 180 gallon with stand gap

elbandito78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a new 180 gallon from the local aquarium shop. While I was plumbing it, I noticed that in the center of the aquarium there is a small gap between it and the stand which runs for about 3 ft. I can easily fit three credit cards between the stand and the aquarium. The corners are all touching.

I measured the ground the aquarium is on and the aquarium itself and both are level.

I contacted the store, who contacted the manufacturer. They said that "once being filled the weight of it will correct it". Not sure if this legitimate or if they are not wanting to fix the issue. Reading through some threads I saw a lot of varying opinions. Some people said that the glass does settle into the frame or that as long as the four corners were flush it would be fine. While others said that any gap is going to be a problem eventually.

Pics of the gap, the gap with credit cards, the corner brace, and one of the center braces that you can see is slightly(about 1/8") shorter than the corner brace.

gap1.jpeg gap2.jpg gap3.jpeg gap4.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't like that much. Have no idea what problems may crop up. Fill it with tap water and let it sit, and see. Or better yet return it while you can

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a new 180 gallon from the local aquarium shop. While I was plumbing it, I noticed that in the center of the aquarium there is a small gap between it and the stand which runs for about 3 ft. I can easily fit three credit cards between the stand and the aquarium. The corners are all touching.

I measured the ground the aquarium is on and the aquarium itself and both are level.

I contacted the store, who contacted the manufacturer. They said that "once being filled the weight of it will correct it". Not sure if this legitimate or if they are not wanting to fix the issue. Reading through some threads I saw a lot of varying opinions. Some people said that the glass does settle into the frame or that as long as the four corners were flush it would be fine. While others said that any gap is going to be a problem eventually.

Pics of the gap, the gap with credit cards, the corner brace, and one of the center braces that you can see is slightly(about 1/8") shorter than the corner brace.

gap1.jpeg gap2.jpg gap3.jpeg gap4.jpeg
Should have added put a straight edge on top of stand before blaming the Aquarium. See if gap there then you know it is the stand

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't like that much. Have no idea what problems may crop up. Fill it with tap water and let it sit, and see. Or better yet return it while you can
My inclination would be to return it if there's an issue with the stand.

OP
OP
elbandito78

elbandito78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have added put a straight edge on top of stand before blaming the Aquarium. See if gap there then you know it is the stand
I was thinking of doing that but won't be pulling the tank off the stand anytime soon. It's my wife and I, and I don't think she will be able to help me.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming “they” meaning the manufacturers or the lfs , it’s not about them and or their resistance , it’s about you being satisfied that you paid for a quality product . If your within the time period and your wanting take it back and or get it replaced with a better constructed unit that is not unreasonable. If it were me I would be more insistent then “they” are resistant. But that’s my opinion !!! Good luck !

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill it and see if it does what they say it will.
I cant tell much without seeing the entire stand or knowing what flooring it is sitting on.
Yes the weight of the tank will settle everything in. Any gaps before that don't mean much.
Any after that are a problem.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation with my 65 gallon Aqueon. If the tank is rimmed I believe you’ll be fine. There is an inherent amount of imperfections in any wood product. The leveling pad would just be extra reassurance, but the weight of the full tank will definitely close that gap. If possible, do a leak test in the garage. You will see the gap close. I’ve had my tank running for 3 years without a leveling pad.

OP
OP
elbandito78

elbandito78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming “they” meaning the manufacturers or the lfs , it’s not about them and or their resistance , it’s about you being satisfied that you paid for a quality product . If your within the time period and your wanting take it back and or get it replaced with a better constructed unit that is not unreasonable. If it were me I would be more insistent then “they” are resistant. But that’s my opinion !!! Good luck !
You're 100% right. Thank you for the advice.

OP
OP
elbandito78

elbandito78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill it and see if it does what they say it will.
I cant tell much without seeing the entire stand or knowing what flooring it is sitting on.
Yes the weight of the tank will settle everything in. Any gaps before that don't mean much.
Any after that are a problem.
Thanks! I think I will try this before I contact the lfs about taking the it back.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not chance 180 gallons on the floor. Also that is almost 1500 lbs of water!

No need to take the tank off, just measure the floor, stand and tank and see which part is bowed. It could be that the center brace was cut too short.

This hobby is about patience. Just take your time and get it right. If the LFS insists that it will be fine, ask for a 3 year warranty that covers not only the tank, but any equipment, livestock and damage to your house.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing how big the gap is but if it’s the tank that’s off and the gap is significant ( the picture is hard to tell I’m just going by the fact that your concerned enough to post ) , by filling water in it to level it off I’m my opinion would create stress points either with the glass , glue or both . It might last 15 years or 15 weeks depending on the strength of the glass or glue and how much the weight of the water puts stress on it . If it’s the stand that’s off it’s a easier fix if you don’t mind building a new stand or fixing theirs but in my opinion the money you gave them wasn’t defective sooooooo. That being said you be the judge !!! . Piece of mind has a lot of value .

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put a 1/2" styrofoam insulation board underneath all my large tanks to take up the imperfections in the wood. This includes rimmed tanks as well. I don't think it matters whether the tank is rimmed or not. The stresses on the unsupported length can lead to seam failures and I think this is the cause of many tank failures. I think it is very difficult to get a flat wood surface with rough lumber type stand construction.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.3%
Back