OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today we got the back filtration set up how we like it. We switched out for the InTank media basket with the Chemipure, Purigen, and Filter Floss. Dropped in our giant hermit crab who wreaks havoc in our small tank and had some asternia stars appear on the glass. From the readings I’ve done some people consider them pets, others consider them pests. I will just have to keep an eye on them for now I believe.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s our first time having one so I’m super excited. If I’m super honest with myself I almost like the inverts more than the fish :cool:
I completely agree. Some day I hope to have a nice display refugium just crawling with invertebrates. Some day.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further progress on the tank! We added two Jebao OW-10 wavemakers (thank you Amazon cash back lol). We have them on opposite sides of the tank and they synchronize with each other. We will have to watch how they work, not really any coral in there to give a grand idea about the flow yet.

Second we added our first fish! We went with two zebra dartfish, otherwise called dart gobies at the LFS! They are little cutie pies and seem to be the happy little pair.
D24F72E0-7DC2-47D0-9C82-6FA9CD38B344.jpeg

So that makes current livestock:
- 2 Zebra Dartfish
- 1 Arrow Crab
- 1 Hermit
- 1 Porcelain Anemone Crab
- 1 Mini-Maxi (yes I know it’s too early for him, but ever since our pump went out for a day in the Fluval he has been struggling. He seems to be regaining color under the better lights... fingers crossed!)

We are placing an order for our other fish mid September/Early October and as of right now plan on:
- Blue Assessor
- Dwarf Pink-Streaked Wrasse
- Clown Goby

At the 6-month mark we will look into a sand-sifter, maybe a starfish. Still working on research and a Blenny of some variety!

As far as coral goes I know I want a toadstool in this tank. I am actually suprised at how much difficulty I have had finding one. I am hoping there will be a unicorn of a toadstool at the Knoxville expo!

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm idk why my video doesn’t seem to be working. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
Further progress on the tank! We added two Jebao OW-10 wavemakers (thank you Amazon cash back lol). We have them on opposite sides of the tank and they synchronize with each other. We will have to watch how they work, not really any coral in there to give a grand idea about the flow yet.

Second we added our first fish! We went with two zebra dartfish, otherwise called dart gobies at the LFS! They are little cutie pies and seem to be the happy little pair.
D24F72E0-7DC2-47D0-9C82-6FA9CD38B344.jpeg

So that makes current livestock:
- 2 Zebra Dartfish
- 1 Arrow Crab
- 1 Hermit
- 1 Porcelain Anemone Crab
- 1 Mini-Maxi (yes I know it’s too early for him, but ever since our pump went out for a day in the Fluval he has been struggling. He seems to be regaining color under the better lights... fingers crossed!)

We are placing an order for our other fish mid September/Early October and as of right now plan on:
- Blue Assessor
- Dwarf Pink-Streaked Wrasse
- Clown Goby

At the 6-month mark we will look into a sand-sifter, maybe a starfish. Still working on research and a Blenny of some variety!

As far as coral goes I know I want a toadstool in this tank. I am actually suprised at how much difficulty I have had finding one. I am hoping there will be a unicorn of a toadstool at the Knoxville expo!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See if that works for the video... if not oh well!
Here are some pics of the Fluval for fun!
CB811FD6-41D2-417B-B0E0-5C4CF0C04D97.jpeg

C1994EB7-BDAA-4934-A9E5-10BF28D0EADE.jpeg

I see the video now and they are super cute! I do not see the direct loaded videos either on my iPhone 7 Plus. I only see the YouTube videos.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t had anything to update lately for the Biocube. The Dartfish are doing lovely and eat a ton every day and we added a couple snails. We were waiting on the coral expo this weekend to buy any corals so I am super excited for that!

On a bummer note we tried to order an assessor and pink-streaked wrasse and could not get them. Looked online and can’t find them there either so I am pretty bummed out. I am considering replacing the Assessor with a Chalk Basslet as they are pretty, but I was just really into the deep black/blue color of the Assessor. I’m not sure how long it will take for Live Aquaria to get them in stock, but I was just really hoping to order local.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am getting quite frustrated with being able to find fish. I haven’t been able to find any of our top choices from a supplier, they have one or they are always out of stock. I have asked two of the three LFS to order and they cannot find any of them. They are fish talked about on here so I know other people have them. Maybe one day I will be able to have something to update on here... I could use some good luck.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, Lara. I have a stocking list for my 32 and I refuse to deviate. I'm an old stubborn guy but some things are too important to compromise. Good luck in pursuit of your desired inhabitants.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back