New 32G Biocube

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new-to-is Biocube 32G yesterday! Woohoo! We previously only had a 13.5G so this is really going to be a nice sized upgrade for us (yes I know it is still considered nano/small lol).

The tank had been up and running and I believe used for housing anemones. It came with sand, water, pump, basic filter media, and a heater.

We ordered the InTank basket and plan to run Chemipure Blue and Purigen. We have had luck with those in our tiny Fluval. We have a coralife protein skimmer but are not planning to use it unless it starts looking necessary. We used it in the Fluval for a while and it was quite lackluster. I ordered more live sand because the current bed is only about 3/4” deep and I was hoping to get it closer to 2”-3” so that we may house a sand-sifting fish.

Any recommendations on other accessories we may need/want? It is a larger water volume than what we have experience with and I want to make sure we aren’t overlooking something.

We bought one piece of live rock from the place where we purchased the tank used, but need to come up with an aquascaping idea. The tank is already set up with water (didn’t want to start the cycle from scratch) so how do we build an aquascape structure with water in the aquarium and a wet rock? Any recommendations on rock in general? I want to have height in the structure because of the upright cube factor.

Here are some fish we are interested in and I would love thoughts/recommendations!
- MacNeills Assessor Basslet - heard they are peaceful and swim near and around the rocks/overhangs.
- green canary Blenny - ok alongside barnacle Blenny?
- Barnacle Blenny - better in pairs or groups?
- Splendid Dottyback - heard they can be partially aggressive, would this be an issue?
- Leopard Wrasse - Do they actually need 50G or would it be comfortable in a 32? The max size was only 4”
- Valenti or Leopard Puffer- both are listed as being ok in a 30G tank, but to be cautious in a reef tank. Thoughts on these guys and housing them with coral? Would keeping them fed in small hermits and snails placate any issues with coral?

Here is the tank with our one rock, can’t wait to slowly move it forward! Thanks for all your help in advance

image.jpg

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! We have a 16G Biocube and recently upgraded the lights to Steve's LEDS. It has only been about a week and a half but I can already tell that it will be an amazing upgrade for the tank. While expensive, it may be something for you to consider down the road. I would also get another powerhead for the tank.

If it hasn't been done already I recommend removing the small false floor in the first chamber. It can become quite a detritus trap beneath it and the extra space is nice for heaters, etc. I removed ours by placing the tank on the ground and pushing it gently with a broom handle. Any similar force in a tank already filled with water should do the trick as well.

Get yourself some decent filter floss if you haven't already, put that stuff on top of your media rack. We use Chemipure, Purigen, and carbon in our Biocube. If you do not plan on using a skimmer (we don't either) I would suggest doing weekly water changes of 5 gallons or so. I try to suction out one back chamber each week I do a water change to keep too much gunk from building up back there.

I hope you have great success with your new tank! The period you're in right now is so exciting and I wish you the best!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think your stock list might be ambitious, but I've seen a lot done with Biocubes! The only thing I'd suggest long term is a lighting upgrade. Steve's LED.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! We have a 16G Biocube and recently upgraded the lights to Steve's LEDS. It has only been about a week and a half but I can already tell that it will be an amazing upgrade for the tank. While expensive, it may be something for you to consider down the road. I would also get another powerhead for the tank.

If it hasn't been done already I recommend removing the small false floor in the first chamber. It can become quite a detritus trap beneath it and the extra space is nice for heaters, etc. I removed ours by placing the tank on the ground and pushing it gently with a broom handle. Any similar force in a tank already filled with water should do the trick as well.

Get yourself some decent filter floss if you haven't already, put that stuff on top of your media rack. We use Chemipure, Purigen, and carbon in our Biocube. If you do not plan on using a skimmer (we don't either) I would suggest doing weekly water changes of 5 gallons or so. I try to suction out one back chamber each week I do a water change to keep too much gunk from building up back there.

I hope you have great success with your new tank! The period you're in right now is so exciting and I wish you the best!
Great advice! I was unaware of the false floor. We will inspect that when we switch the back stuff out.

I was trying to decide between one medium powered powerheads, or two small powerheads alternating. What do you use?

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your stock list might be ambitious, but I've seen a lot done with Biocubes! The only thing I'd suggest long term is a lighting upgrade. Steve's LED.
Yeah I don’t think we could do all of those, I feel like it might be some major upkeep if we do, but I’m not sure which on that list would work together. I know we want one “center-stage” fish which would be either the puffer or the wrasse, or something different completely depending on how research goes lol, and then several small fish to round out the water levels.

I will totally look into the led’s. I think we’re going to switch out our Fluval light at Christmas for something better (the stock is terrible lol) and then we will work on this.

Hope you’ve been doing well!

Any advice on people in Knoxville that could help build rock work. We were going to talk to JKS and Parrot and see if either of them could help, I totally am not comfortable drilling and stacking rock myself yet.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I don’t think we could do all of those, I feel like it might be some major upkeep if we do, but I’m not sure which on that list would work together. I know we want one “center-stage” fish which would be either the puffer or the wrasse, or something different completely depending on how research goes lol, and then several small fish to round out the water levels.

I will totally look into the led’s. I think we’re going to switch out our Fluval light at Christmas for something better (the stock is terrible lol) and then we will work on this.

Hope you’ve been doing well!

Any advice on people in Knoxville that could help build rock work. We were going to talk to JKS and Parrot and see if either of them could help, I totally am not comfortable drilling and stacking rock myself yet.
Call Kinny at Parrot and tell him I sent you if you go that route. He'll be good to you.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used one power head. I also never switched out my lights, though I had the old 29g biocube light design. I think those lights might be a little bit stronger.

My biocube is going to become a QT... I may upgrade the lights eventually in case it becomes the coral qt. Either way, my corals grew okay. I wouldn't have felt comfortable buying anything super high end or an sps, The growth wasn't anything to write home about - but they were getting bigger. I only lost one coral to light issues, and it was too close to the light and bleached. I mainly had softies and LPS. I ended up upgrading to a bigger tank and am glad I spend the money on a radion rather than a biocube light. I would suggest not running out for a new light immediately unless you know you won't be upgrading anytime soon. My biocube just made me want to go bigger. :)

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! :) I'd love to meet you!
Perfect, that will be awesome! I’ll send you a message when it gets closer. We tried to come to the meeting Saturday for the first time but couldn’t find a babysitter and our son is in his .... better not to take him in public stage haha

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are you planning on keeping corals? If not, lights may not be a big deal. I went back and reread your first post. I don't know anything about those fishes. I would def take Katrina's advice on the stock list though.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, are you planning on keeping corals? If not, lights may not be a big deal. I went back and reread your first post. I don't know anything about those fishes. I would def take Katrina's advice on the stock list though.
We will keep corals, probably lps and softies unless we are able to upgrade the lights. We tried some sps in our other tank with stock LED’s and It’s not been successful. We will upgrade those lights before the new tanks lights likely. I was supposed to upgrade those lights before I bought a new tank... oops lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back