new 36 gallon bowfront build

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brand new scape added to a 36 gallon bow front entirely real coral

2DF6442C-B697-464D-AF3E-7A7157ADA92D.jpeg 2F97080C-67BE-4F6B-BB54-4941BF193B9D.jpeg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is an interesting back wall. I like it but you probably should have a lot of flow to keep detritus from settling in all the books and crannies. You definitely do not want to be scrubbing GHA out of that.

I also used to have a 36 gallon bowfront and I loved that tank. It's only drawback was scraping the front glass.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vlangel ....looks super cool but it has the potential to become an extremely hard to clean mess if it isn't kept clean and algae growth isn't managed.....unless that is the look you are going for of course :)

OP
OP
The Natural Coral Depot

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea the worst part is trying to clean the glass on the curved part but it has a canister filter to fit the closed filtration set up and has the two pumps attached to the under gravel filter so it produces plenty of flow.
Wow, that is an interesting back wall. I like it but you probably should have a lot of flow to keep detritus from settling in all the books and crannies. You definitely do not want to be scrubbing GHA out of that.

I also used to have a 36 gallon bowfront and I loved that tank. It's only drawback was scraping the front glass.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea the worst part is trying to clean the glass on the curved part but it has a canister filter to fit the closed filtration set up and has the two pumps attached to the under gravel filter so it produces plenty of flow.
Cool, I wonder if you intentionally encouraged some macroalgae to grow on the back wall if that would help with nutrient uptake. I have a lot of different macros in my display for that very purpose.

OP
OP
The Natural Coral Depot

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I wonder if you intentionally encouraged some macroalgae to grow on the back wall if that would help with nutrient uptake. I have a lot of different macros in my display for that very purpose.
the goal is to make a tank look more like the reefs you would see in the wild by including real coral as an insert panel and yes the macro algae’s and coralline are just a bonus that it grows so well on the panel and looks beautiful especially once grown in. That way we keep our tanks extremely diverse with the hundreds of inverts, tons of fish and even some corals.

OP
OP
The Natural Coral Depot

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vlangel ....looks super cool but it has the potential to become an extremely hard to clean mess if it isn't kept clean and algae growth isn't managed.....unless that is the look you are going for of course :)
the goal is for the Coraline algae which encrusts over the coral and with the low phosphates, low nitrates and low nitrites there is no nuisance algae growth along with the flow from the pumps keeping the sand clean and alive . Along with the fish that eat the algae and the inverts that keep it clean

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the goal is for the Coraline algae which encrusts over the coral and with the low phosphates, low nitrates and low nitrites there is no nuisance algae growth along with the flow from the pumps keeping the sand clean and alive . Along with the fish that eat the algae and the inverts that keep it clean
Well, that is definitely the way you would want it to go.....unfortunately that isn't the way it normally goes lol. I am rooting for you though.....has the potential to be a really cool tank.

OP
OP
The Natural Coral Depot

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that is definitely the way you would want it to go.....unfortunately that isn't the way it normally goes lol. I am rooting for you though.....has the potential to be a really cool tank.
Did this one 6 years ago and still going beautifully thankfully

Attachments

• D055FA75-8A7B-455A-BE31-131456ED6F37.jpeg
    D055FA75-8A7B-455A-BE31-131456ED6F37.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 24

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this one 6 years ago and still going beautifully thankfully
Ahhhhh, ok. So these are going to be fish only systems? That changes everything lol. Much easier to keep tanks pristine looking when you can control light intensities without worrying about damaging coral.

OP
OP
The Natural Coral Depot

The Natural Coral Depot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh, ok. So these are going to be fish only systems? That changes everything lol. Much easier to keep tanks pristine looking when you can control light intensities without worrying about damaging coral.
These are everything systems we have in that exact tank hundreds of inverts,25 fish and tons of corals growing. All living together as if it was a real reef.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back