New 40g breeder build

Garcia2460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I’ve been hesitant to post but I finally figured that it could be helpful. I originally was going to build a 20g long but after doing a lot of research I decided to start with a 40 breeder. I have slowly been buying all my equipment and I still have a few things left that I want to buy.. if I am missing anything or if anyone has any suggestions at all I am open to it!

Current list of equipment:

40g aqueon breeder tank
Aqua clear 110 hob
1x Kessil a360we (I am going to be buying another soon)

30lbs of dry rock (Is this enough? Or do I need more? I don’t really want it so cluttered with rock unless it’s necessary)

40lbs Fiji pink live sand
1x Jebao ow-25 wavemaker
200 watt heater

I still need a controller for my Kessil lights as well as a hob protein skimmer. I am thinking about a reef octopus or an eshopps, but if anyone knows of cheaper alternatives I am all ears!

In terms of stocking ideas I know that I would like to have the following:

Fish:

2 clownfish
1 porcelain crab
Watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Royal gramma

I am also wondering if there are any schooling fish that I could add? Or if schooling is even possible in a 40g breeder..

I also am interested in fish I could add that would provide some form of maintenance for my tank such as algae eaters or parasite eaters.

For coral:

Pulsating Xenia
torch coral
Zoas
Euphylias
Green star polyps
Possibly an anemone for the porcelain crab/clownfish? (Does anyone know of some smaller anemones that would work for a 40g?)

Any stocking ideas welcome!

I am just about to start aquascaping and then going to cycle my tank. Is there anything I am missing? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me for cycling my tank? Anything will be so helpful!!

Thank you to everyone who reads this and helps me out

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R and thank you for your first post! It looks like you are off to a reasonable start and I’m sure others will chime in soon with specific recommendations!

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I’ve been hesitant to post but I finally figured that it could be helpful. I originally was going to build a 20g long but after doing a lot of research I decided to start with a 40 breeder. I have slowly been buying all my equipment and I still have a few things left that I want to buy.. if I am missing anything or if anyone has any suggestions at all I am open to it!

Current list of equipment:

40g aqueon breeder tank
Aqua clear 110 hob
1x Kessil a360we (I am going to be buying another soon)

30lbs of dry rock (Is this enough? Or do I need more? I don’t really want it so cluttered with rock unless it’s necessary)

40lbs Fiji pink live sand
1x Jebao ow-25 wavemaker
200 watt heater

I still need a controller for my Kessil lights as well as a hob protein skimmer. I am thinking about a reef octopus or an eshopps, but if anyone knows of cheaper alternatives I am all ears!

In terms of stocking ideas I know that I would like to have the following:

Fish:

2 clownfish
1 porcelain crab
Watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Royal gramma

I am also wondering if there are any schooling fish that I could add? Or if schooling is even possible in a 40g breeder..

I also am interested in fish I could add that would provide some form of maintenance for my tank such as algae eaters or parasite eaters.

For coral:

Pulsating Xenia
torch coral
Zoas
Euphylias
Green star polyps
Possibly an anemone for the porcelain crab/clownfish? (Does anyone know of some smaller anemones that would work for a 40g?)

Any stocking ideas welcome!

I am just about to start aquascaping and then going to cycle my tank. Is there anything I am missing? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me for cycling my tank? Anything will be so helpful!!

Thank you to everyone who reads this and helps me out
I would highly recommend you skip the HOB idea, buy an overflow and drill the tank to use a sump. While a HOB setup will work, you are pretty limited and having all the equipment hanging off the tank is unsightly, IMO.

I know it's an extra expense, but once it's done you'll be really happy you did it.

You could pick up a 20 gallon long from Petco for $20 and have a local glass shop cut a couple pieces of 3/16" glass to make a bubble trap for a return pump section. Another $20. The real benefit here is you can add an ATO in the future, use a filter sock for the drain and put your skimmer, heater and future equipment in the sump. Like a carbon, GFO reactor or algae scrubber.

Marine Depot sells these overflows with the template and drill bit for $90. You maybe able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

If you want some ideas you can check out my 40 breeder build thread here. Keep in mind you do not need to go to the level I did. Everything I did was for the purpose of being as automated as possible, but by no means does is it necessary for success. Especially with a low bioload and easier to keep corals.

OP
OP
Garcia2460

Garcia2460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend you skip the HOB idea, buy an overflow and drill the tank to use a sump. While a HOB setup will work, you are pretty limited and having all the equipment hanging off the tank is unsightly, IMO.

I know it's an extra expense, but once it's done you'll be really happy you did it.

You could pick up a 20 gallon long from Petco for $20 and have a local glass shop cut a couple pieces of 3/16" glass to make a bubble trap for a return pump section. Another $20. The real benefit here is you can add an ATO in the future, use a filter sock for the drain and put your skimmer, heater and future equipment in the sump. Like a carbon, GFO reactor or algae scrubber.

Marine Depot sells these overflows with the template and drill bit for $90. You maybe able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

If you want some ideas you can check out my 40 breeder build thread here. Keep in mind you do not need to go to the level I did. Everything I did was for the purpose of being as automated as possible, but by no means does is it necessary for success. Especially with a low bioload and easier to keep corals.

Thanks so much for your reply! Yea I have been thinking about if I should go the sump route but I am hesitant because it seems more difficult to do and being a beginner wasn’t sure.. I do have a 20g long still that would be perfect for a sump, but not sure if I should do it! Thanks for breaking it down though that was super helpful!

OP
OP
Garcia2460

Garcia2460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Looks like a real solid plan.
You have some stuff in your stocking plan that is best left for 6-12 months down the line.

Enjoy it! This is one of the most fun times.

Yes definitely! All my stocking ideas are for later down the line once my tank has had time to fully cycle and has been established for a few months

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 40b club! I always enjoy seeing different people work with the same tank.

My own build is here. I use HOB equipment and have had great success doing it, although if given the chance to do it again I probably would have gone for a sump design.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply! Yea I have been thinking about if I should go the sump route but I am hesitant because it seems more difficult to do and being a beginner wasn’t sure.. I do have a 20g long still that would be perfect for a sump, but not sure if I should do it! Thanks for breaking it down though that was super helpful!
It is really simple. Drill one hole where you want the overflow and then plumb the two drains. One is a full siphon, the other an emergency. Your return can go up and over the rim or you can drill another hole for a bulkhead and return.

If you are considering it, I will be happy to guide you along the way. It won't be hard to do.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for drilling and adding a sump. I have a 40b that I drilled and wouldn't change it. I don't have a skimmer on mine and have everything from a LPS, SPS, anemones, and even a clam. I only have 3 fish though, so the bioload is low to begin with. check out my build thread for some ideas. I didn't even add baffles to the 20 gallon tank. I just dropped the return on one side and keep the water level constant with my ATO.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B full of LPS. I do have Aquaclear 110 on the side and fits perfectly. If your on a budget this is the way to go. As for powerhead I would go for the lower ones. I still have my jebao pp4 and its pretty good for lps. I have chaeto, diy protein skimmer, seachem matrix on my aquaclear. I think 40B is the max size where you can get away without having a sump with corals. You can search me on youtube John Madlos :)
20191207_143832.jpg

OP
OP
Garcia2460

Garcia2460

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really simple. Drill one hole where you want the overflow and then plumb the two drains. One is a full siphon, the other an emergency. Your return can go up and over the rim or you can drill another hole for a bulkhead and return.

If you are considering it, I will be happy to guide you along the way. It won't be hard to do.

Well I definitely have a decision to make now after hearing everyone weigh in on a sump. I watched a few videos online on diy sumps, and I do already have a 20g long that I could use for it. If anyone with experience using hob’s can weigh in as well that would be helpful! Do I only need a light for my sump if I’m growing chaeto?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I definitely have a decision to make now after hearing everyone weigh in on a sump. I watched a few videos online on diy sumps, and I do already have a 20g long that I could use for it. If anyone with experience using hob’s can weigh in as well that would be helpful! Do I only need a light for my sump if I’m growing chaeto?
If you want to grow chaeto you will need to create a section in the sump to prevent it from getting sucked up into any pump intakes. You will also need a grow light. A simple cheap box store grow light will do, they are normally in the red spectrum. Should you go that route you may want to look into using black tinted glass for the refugium divider to prevent light spill into the rest of the sump causing algae growth. You can also tint the outside of that section to contain light spill. This may be advantageous if your stand allows light to shine out and you run the refugium on an alternate lighting schedule. You can also buy this toothed weir for cheap to minimize chaeto going back into the return. Just slip it right on to the glass weir.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back