New 55 gallon tank!

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm excited and almost ready to finally be setting up my new 55 gallon tank. If you see something I am missing just let me know. I am upgrading from my 20 gallon Nano. I currently have for my new tank: Octopus NW - 110 - 6520B rated for up to a 130 GAL tank. A aqua illumination Vegas for lights. One quite one pump with a Corralife 50G RO/DI. Tomorrow I should be getting my Coral life turbo twist 3x rated for 125G tank too. I will also be ordering a Dual Reactor from BRS soon once its filled. Along with all that I have currently 55 pounds of fresh live sand and about 100 pounds of live rock that is in a bin in my garage. the rock is cured and has been in it for 3 weeks+. The guy I Bought it from had it in his tank for longer. So If I add all the rock with the water I think ill be able to skip the cycle. However, I will still be waiting and checking for awhile before I put anything into the tank. Apart of the stock My tank is currently taken by a friend who is drilling it! I can't wait until I have a drill tank rather then my icky overflow that's always giving me trouble. I built my own sump too, which is giving me some problems... The silicone has not been strong enough with the acrylic and keeps leaking. hopefully todays last coat will then seal it. I had to make it myself because my custom stand would not fit anything unless it was under 11 inches. So let me know what you guys think and what else I should get!
photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg
sump pic.jpg

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would not trust the sump.. Should of bought some weld-on and glued it with that. You are asking for a leek. Silicone baffles is one thing but not the whole sump. Just my thoughts..

OP
OP
dannyab84

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's not leacking now and I put on a coat of PVC glue on it to seal it. You think it will still leak indeffently?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. The seems will break or leak over time.. Not sure how many gallons will be in there but think of the mess on the floor, the return pump burning up.

Take it apart, clean up the silicon and get some weld on 5. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sorry just looking out for you long term.

OP
OP
dannyab84

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will order the weld on tomm. Thanks for the advice! I can use a 10 gallon until I get the Weld on and the time it needs to cure. Other then that, does anyone have any advice on adding a gfo, carbon, and bio pellet reactors? Do I need these or should I get them?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back