Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. We spend all this money thinking apex is the best but its like a toy that sometimes works. Apex needs to maybe spend a little money and make there products better and higher quilty materials.

They key to the apex salinity probe is placement, if it gets any air bubbles in the tip, or is in a area with micro bubbles, it won't be accurate.

I watched your video where you were adding salt and talking about it also. And I noticed in my own tank when my salt was low and so was my big 3 that it wasn't accurate at all. Once I corrected it, it has been spot on for close to a year. I Make my salt at 1.025 on my refractometer. And my Apex always says 33.3-33.4 ppt. which is the equivalent to 1.025-1.0252. The apex probe is actually a conductivity probe that the apex uses a algorithm to convert that to ppt of salinity. I believe part of that algorithm assumes the parameters are within normal range. Where as in your video your salt was in the 20's. Just my 2 cents

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They key to the apex salinity probe is placement, if it gets any air bubbles in the tip, or is in a area with micro bubbles, it won't be accurate.

I watched your video where you were adding salt and talking about it also. And I noticed in my own tank when my salt was low and so was my big 3 that it wasn't accurate at all. Once I corrected it, it has been spot on for close to a year. I Make my salt at 1.025 on my refractometer. And my Apex always says 33.3-33.4 ppt. which is the equivalent to 1.025-1.0252. The apex probe is actually a conductivity probe that the apex uses a algorithm to convert that to ppt of salinity. I believe part of that algorithm assumes the parameters are within normal range. Where as in your video your salt was in the 20's. Just my 2 cents
While these are things that can help it be more accurate and within a certain PPT there is still way to many variables like when my halides come on my readings Jump two points. The probe and wire is no where near the eb832 but the frequency of the halides still messes with the probe.

So to me It is still a useless number that no one should ever trust.

would u control your ATO off of the apex salinity probe? I sure wouldn’t

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While these are things that can help it be more accurate and within a certain PPT there is still way to many variables like when my halides come on my readings Jump two points. The probe and wire is no where near the eb832 but the frequency of the halides still messes with the probe.

So to me It is still a useless number that no one should ever trust.

would u control your ATO off of the apex salinity probe? I sure wouldn’t

I use the salinity probe as a reference point. As I said, when I mix up my water I use my refractometer. I verify my tank with my refractometer. But the apex salinity probe is a good reference to me. Yes my salinity changes between 33.2-33.4 when my heaters turn on and off. But again that is only a difference of 1.025.-1.0252. A difference that doesn't matter at all. And as a reference, it is a good reference if your ato isn't working or dumps to much rodi water in.

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the @reefkinetics Reefbot today so I can start testing for the cycle. Pretty easy to setup instructions are very clear. Excited to start testing away.
67C0E852-3D1B-4B9E-A571-E9C63F0F15EA.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking up the ATK from @neptunesystems for on The Hulk. I am hearing a lot of horror stories of pumps not working. Anyone deal with this issues ?
9916A1A8-9DEF-4585-A179-E93D18647BC3.jpeg
I purchased the ATK for my new system for Apex control instead of the Tunze Osmolator which I’ve used for years

I actually installed the ATK in my S650. The pump wouldn’t start and had to be replaced and still the ATK wouldn’t work

The FMM was then replaced and then the power supply. So apart from the optical sensors it was all replaced.

After all this the new pump wouldn’t start. So I took it to pieces and the impeller was jammed! This ATK was brand new !

i can’t fault Neptune support they were excellent and the ATK has worked fine ever since. Would I buy it again, I’m not actually sure to be honest, but for my 530usg system I changed to the Tunze Osmolator with the additional outlet socket for a more powerful pump

Ive personally found that Apex is fine as a monitoring system and to allow you to switch things on and off remotely, but when you add things like leak detectors, optical sensors etc there just not reliable enough and give false readings and I certainly wouldn’t trust these to make any ‘critical decisions’ on their own. I’ve even added a defer command into my alerts to stop alarms from sensor ‘noise’.

In my new system it was set up with the leak detector programmed to switch the main return pump (Abyzz a200) off if it detected water. I came down one morning to an almighty noise and unholy water noises, to find the detector was triggering ever second because it has detected moisture in the air despite being sat on a paper towel to try and prevent this. So this program was deleted and I now have a camera at the back of the tank so I can physically see the detector and anything else if needed. So I’ve had to buy a monitor to watch the monitor!

I use the Hanna salinity tester as my new salinity base line, and for alkalinity and phosphate. Not sure I’d bother for pH as i hardy ever test it to be honest. Apex ‘monitors’ it so I keep and eye out and I have a separate ELOS pH kit which I’ve used once to check when the Apex probe went haywire.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooking up the ATK from @neptunesystems for on The Hulk. I am hearing a lot of horror stories of pumps not working. Anyone deal with this issues ?
9916A1A8-9DEF-4585-A179-E93D18647BC3.jpeg

Nope that pump is awesome. Had mine for about a year, I have even had my container go empty a few times. And the ATK is smart enough to sense that the pump is dry and it turns it off on the apex dashboard

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to cycle your aquarium and get it ready for your first fish. In this video we walk you through the process of quick cycling. Quick cycling is cycling your aquarium using a pre-bottled beneficial bacteria like Fritz Turbo Start
How to Cycle a Reef Tank with fritz turbo start 900 on 600 gallon reef tank.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been using the ATK for about 2 years. First thing I did was remove the mechanical float valve, didn’t like it all.
I did have one PMUP die, but it was my own fault, I let it run dry when I forgot to refill my ATO. A replacement was cheap and has been running for about 18 months with no issues.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to add that the neptune ATK that is available to purchase now is actually ATK V2 (version 2). And the pmup pump is one of the differences from the original version. The first version pumps had a lot of issues that imo were fixed with the V2. I bought the V2 when they first released it last summer, I actually ordered it from their pre-release sale. So if you bought your ATK before Jul or Aug of 2019, you have/had the original version that had pump issues.

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when starting a new reef tank this farmer needs the best Cheto and pods on the market! @AlgaeBarn will be seeding the Hulk with there XL starter pack, Refugium Starter Kit with 5 Extra jars of the Eco Pods! The Eco Pods are a fantastic 4 species Blend! If you guys want to get 15% of your next order type this code in at check out... farmboy15
Very excited to load up the @paxbellumllc with Cheto and the hulk with pods!
1585138734693.png

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the ATK for about 2 years. First thing I did was remove the mechanical float valve, didn’t like it all.
I did have one PMUP die, but it was my own fault, I let it run dry when I forgot to refill my ATO. A replacement was cheap and has been running for about 18 months with no issues.
Thats great to hear !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back