New aquarium guidance

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a beef with anyone who likes those options, but I really hate them.

For #1, I don't let anything just rot in the tank if I can help it...that's poor husbandry. I don't see why it should be The Way to start a tank. If I wanted to try it, I'd look up some infor on http://scholar.google.com on rotting shrimp in saltwater to see what else to expect aside from nitrifying bacteria. For #2, thanks to terrorists it's now impossible to find plain ammonia in a bottle, anywhere near civilization.....it's all laced with soap or detergent and fragrances nowadays. I wouldn't trust any ammonia from a consumer outlet.

So what? There are better options for me...and maybe you:

3) Taking your time and using dilution. (One fish's ammonia in a large tank = dillution.) It works well. It's not fishless – but it's not a problem either. Only about ten zillion tanks were cycled successfully like this over history. It also works 100% of the time, in saltwater or freshwater. ;) You just add the smallest bio-load you can at the beginning and build it up slowly over time. And you don't have to start with a fish if you'd rather start with a crab or snail or....use your imagination.
4) Using a bacterial additive like Bio-spira and following the directions which at least several people do not find hard.

Why not just use dr. Tims ammonia which was made for this question mark and said of trying to Source some other ammonia from the store

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One big reason is that nobody sells that OR grocery store ammonia. (The irony of ammonia being made a "rare commodity" really kills me.)

But maybe a bigger reason is that I don't even need it for either of my options. ;)
(So I definitely wouldn't go out of my way or pay extra for it.)

Pet Store ammonia was an option that was mentioned before in this thread already BTW, but not by me. :) It's a fine option if you want to go that route. I would not. :)

The point was to bring up solid, 100% bullet-proof alternatives....one of which is adding nothing at all but a critter. Old-school. The other is adding a bacterial inoculant. (Again, how these can be more prevalent than plain ammonia...)

Following instructions/doing it right is assumed for all options – mine or otherwise. ;) (Doing it wrong can't be an argument against, in other words.)

OP
OP
Chase89

Chase89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a beef with anyone who likes those options, but I really hate them.

For #1, I don't let anything just rot in the tank if I can help it...that's poor husbandry. I don't see why it should be The Way to start a tank. If I wanted to try it, I'd look up some infor on http://scholar.google.com on rotting shrimp in saltwater to see what else to expect aside from nitrifying bacteria. For #2, thanks to terrorists it's now impossible to find plain ammonia in a bottle, anywhere near civilization.....it's all laced with soap or detergent and fragrances nowadays. I wouldn't trust any ammonia from a consumer outlet.

So what? There are better options for me...and maybe you:

3) Taking your time and using dilution. (One fish's ammonia in a large tank = dillution.) It works well. It's not fishless – but it's not a problem either. Only about ten zillion tanks were cycled successfully like this over history. It also works 100% of the time, in saltwater or freshwater. ;) You just add the smallest bio-load you can at the beginning and build it up slowly over time. And you don't have to start with a fish if you'd rather start with a crab or snail or....use your imagination.
4) Using a bacterial additive like Bio-spira and following the directions which at least several people do not find hard.

I agree, decaying anything doesn't sound great when starting a tank and seem store defeat the level control and consistency required for a saltwater tank.

Actually! I was able to find pure ammonia relatively easily. Ace hardware carries it in a few sizes. I picked up a bottle and dosed my tank. The ammonia cycle is finally around the .25 ppm and my nitrite and nitrate cycles are starting to fall as well. All other water parameters are in line and I should be ready to add my first fish soon.

From the amount of research of done it appear that this is the fastest cycling process. I'm glad I went this route as I was able to does appropriately and monitor levels abd trends with out any unexpected spikes or falls.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you found a local source and I'm glad it worked out for you, so don't get me too wrong here, but...

I try not to opt for the fastest way if I can help it.....fast is a bad habit in this hobby that seems invariably to lead to bad things.

It's a phenomena that's led me to wonder: Is "Going Slow" The Most Controversial Reefing Topic?

Sometimes starting a tank fast can't be helped, but in most home scenarios we're working at out own pace.....so slower is better.

In fact...the newer the tank, the slower the better.

And the newer the reef keeper, the slower the better.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back