New aquarium options

Jdbrusseau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start back up in saltwater. I'm going to be building a 120 gallon mix tank. I have the tank set up using a fluval fx6 and using under gravel filtration with it. The discharge is into three one half inch pylons that I have loofah sponges around to disperse the flow. The goal being a calm tank. So far 100% successful no visible water movement but it is cycling when I add food coloring.
my Question is how strong do I want the current to be. I'm cycling with a 462 gallon flow rate at the head. Do I need to add wave generators to create more current? I have always found too much current to be distressing to the fish

OP
OP
Jdbrusseau

Jdbrusseau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start back up in saltwater. I'm going to be building a 120 gallon mix tank. I have the tank set up using a fluval fx6 and using under gravel filtration with it. The discharge is into three one half inch pylons that I have loofah sponges around to disperse the flow. The goal being a calm tank. So far 100% successful no visible water movement but it is cycling when I add food coloring.
my Question is how strong do I want the current to be. I'm cycling with a 462 gallon flow rate at the head. Do I need to add wave generators to create more current? I have always found too much current to be distressing to the fish
20220514_075800.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You want moderate current based on fish/coral but if adding DOS or bottom coral such as elegance and meaty coral, you will need added flow

OP
OP
Jdbrusseau

Jdbrusseau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want moderate current based on fish/coral but if adding DOS or bottom coral such as elegance and meaty coral, you will need added flow
I purchased a 1050 gallon wave maker. It does a good job of destroying surface tension without putting in too much current. No I just have to find it inexpensive flow meter for my filtration system. I tried the hose ones but they leak really bad

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back