New Aquarium Pumps too big?

AlyHarper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not sure what my issue is to be quite honest. My husband and I built our own 75gallon aquarium and stand. No live stock just trying to cycle it but my sump keeps blowing air. I have MarineLand tank, with a medium Eclipse overflow box. We built the sump out of a 20gallon long, with a Fiji Cube Refugium Sump Baffle kit. And have 2 jebao return pumps MDP - 3500. With both return pumps on their lowest setting. The sump starts to blow air into the tank about every 2 to 3 days. Which is when I add about a gallon of water to the sump.

I have had my 20 gallon AIO for over a year now and have never had to top it off, (while doing weekly water changes).

Guess the question is, how often should I need to top off my sump for the 75 gallon? Is 2 to 3 days normal? Its hard for me to believe it is evaporating so much when my 20gallon AIO doesnt? Are my pumps too strong, or maybe my 200 micron socks are too thick?

I thought about getting a Auto Top Off but afraid the root of the problem is actually something other than evaporation.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put it into perspective my 125g tank evaporates between 2-3 gallons a day. An auto top off is best but if doing it manually I would recommend daily

It seems like your tank is fine and this is not an issue with your pumps or socks, it’s just evaporation like all tanks have. How much water are you having to add every few days?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an ATO or else you need to top off more often. Evaporation is different for everyone as there are too many thing that affect evaporation that can be different for everyone. My 180g tied to a 125g sump can go through as much as 2+ gallons a day now that the woodburner is going and drying the air out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a gallon sometimes more depend on when I notice it is low
That’s completely normal. I’d strongly recommend getting an Auto Top Off, but if not you can do it manually but I wouldn’t let it go more than a day at the most. As your freshwater is evaporating from the tank your salinity in the tank is rising. Salinity as with everything in an aquarium is best to keep it as stable as possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am not sure what my issue is to be quite honest. My husband and I built our own 75gallon aquarium and stand. No live stock just trying to cycle it but my sump keeps blowing air. I have MarineLand tank, with a medium Eclipse overflow box. We built the sump out of a 20gallon long, with a Fiji Cube Refugium Sump Baffle kit. And have 2 jebao return pumps MDP - 3500. With both return pumps on their lowest setting. The sump starts to blow air into the tank about every 2 to 3 days. Which is when I add about a gallon of water to the sump.

I have had my 20 gallon AIO for over a year now and have never had to top it off, (while doing weekly water changes).

Guess the question is, how often should I need to top off my sump for the 75 gallon? Is 2 to 3 days normal? Its hard for me to believe it is evaporating so much when my 20gallon AIO doesnt? Are my pumps too strong, or maybe my 200 micron socks are too thick?

I thought about getting a Auto Top Off but afraid the root of the problem is actually something other than evaporation.
For myself- every 2-3 days winter and 3-4 days summer. (Tank is now a humidifier. . LOL )
Any pics of pump in the sump. If blowing air, there may not be enough water above the pump causing a tornado effect and sucking air from surface and distributing bubbles

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an ATO or else you need to top off more often. Evaporation is different for everyone as there are too many thing that affect evaporation that can be different for everyone. My 180g tied to a 125g sump can go through as much as 2+ gallons a day now that the woodburner is going and drying the air out.
I’m surprised you don’t have more than that for the total water volume you have. Between my two tanks and a small qt tank I evaporate a little over 4g a day. Humidity is an issue in my home, and that’s with a dehumidifier running 24/7.

OP
OP
AlyHarper

AlyHarper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no leak, I guess I am just surprised about the amount of evaporation. But it seems like a easy enough fix. Which Atuo Top Offs do yall recommend?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised you don’t have more than that for the total water volume you have. Between my two tanks and a small qt tank I evaporate a little over 4g a day. Humidity is an issue in my home, and that’s with a dehumidifier running 24/7.
Just replaced my failing dehumidifier so it my increase my evaporation as it's pretty close to my sump in the basement. Our house was built when they thought wrapping them and making them air tight was good. I have puddles of water on my window sills all winter long from the condensation (new windows but old ones were the same) . The house just doesn't breath. I'm surprised I don't have problems with pH but then again I don't really test it often.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More surface area = faster evaopration

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced my failing dehumidifier so it my increase my evaporation as it's pretty close to my sump in the basement. Our house was built when they thought wrapping them and making them air tight was good. I have puddles of water on my window sills all winter long from the condensation (new windows but old ones were the same) . The house just doesn't breath. I'm surprised I don't have problems with pH but then again I don't really test it often.
I’m glad it’s not just me that has condensation on windows lol. I’ve considered getting a second dehumidifier for my house but to leave them running all the time adds a decent amount to the electric bill.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Atuo Top Offs do yall recommend?
You'll get many different answers to that question. I run JBJ ato units along with a cheap pump like an mj1200. They are budget friendly and have mechanical float switches. I'm not a fan of the new fancy ato units with optical sensors. As long as the mechanical float switches are kept clean the are very reliable. The one shown below was wrapped in a nylon stocking when I installed it over 3 years ago and I have never cleaned it. I put the stocking on to keep snails out but it has worked better than I ever expected.
16687037551232049233407612419320.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back