New beginner tank - rushed corals

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I cycled my tank following the rules and I was ready to put some fish. I went to the store and got two clownfish and then I was amazed by the corals they had and I bought 2 little babies. I knew in the back of my head that I should have waited based on all the information I read.
Anyway, I came back home I acclimated the fish and coral following the instructions given by the guy at the store. The coral doesn't look good, but more than that I see some weird tentacle coming out of it, attaching pic. Should I remove the coral, and just take the loss? the other coral is there, nothing special doesn't look dead dead to me, but doesn't look good.
The fish during the day I see them in one corner, is this normal? Would it take time for them to feel more comfortable?

IMG_2353 copy.jpg IMG_2354.jpg

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing comes quickly in this hobby, just chill it will happen in time it worth the wait
I’m on 8-9 months and I’m happy so far

3DF18A7A-ED03-4D7F-A2B8-2602EB0EFDA0.jpeg F4FEDF19-47C6-40C9-B828-31D70B7318C1.jpeg
Ohh I love it!!! It is a really nice setup and colorful.
Yes, I figure I should give it time, I just want to make sure whatever that weird tentacle is, won't hurt the fish or mess up the tank.
Thanks!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh I love it!!! It is a really nice setup and colorful.
Yes, I figure I should give it time, I just want to make sure whatever that weird tentacle is, won't hurt the fish or mess up the tank.
Thanks!
Much luck to you young lady

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "coral" on the left looks like an algae covered dead skeleton. There may be a couple small polyps of what looks like GSP or Pipe Organ, but honestly, you got taken on that piece. The Zoas on the right are angry because they are covered with algae. Look up hydrogen peroxide dipping and clean the algae off the zoas. They'll be angry for a couple days but will be happier in the long run. I would also suggest visiting some other LFSs if that is an option in your area.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas or palys there definitely look upset.

I can’t tell at all what the other one is? Maybe closed up GSP?

first and foremost the most important thing is your water parameters. Can you let us know what they are?

if your tank is cycled also no reason to not get 2 softies IMO.

you didn’t jump the gun in that respect, but you did by not knowing and researching the care for the Coral you got.

For future I’d say at least for the first year, never go into the fish store and buy something you aren’t going there to buy.

if something catches your eye just take a deep breath, take a photo, get the name of it, and go home and research for an hour or so about it and it’s care and what you need to know.

this will keep you away as well from picking up some super tricky sps corals that require advanced knowledge.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming the tentacle youre asking about is the whiteish one in the first photo? It kind of looks like Cladophoropsis. Just hasnt turned green yet in my eyes. This hobby definitely takes time. I am at almost 7 months and I’m scared to do any fish again as 3 have all been fails but corals and clam is fine.

42C80B1A-B81F-441D-9CF7-E7050D631D5A.jpeg 51191C5A-EC58-4475-A346-FC74A27CDC5E.jpeg 2EA13EC4-BEB3-49AD-818F-5AF2F7A6D28A.jpeg

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "coral" on the left looks like an algae covered dead skeleton. There may be a couple small polyps of what looks like GSP or Pipe Organ, but honestly, you got taken on that piece. The Zoas on the right are angry because they are covered with algae. Look up hydrogen peroxide dipping and clean the algae off the zoas. They'll be angry for a couple days but will be happier in the long run. I would also suggest visiting some other LFSs if that is an option in your area.
These are definitely clove polyps in the second photo. Can you HP dip clove polyps? I havent had a reason to but im creating a list that will say which can tolerate and which cant.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are definitely clove polyps in the second photo. Can you HP dip clove polyps? I havent had a reason to but im creating a list that will say which can tolerate and which cant.
You can HP dip almost all softies. But those aren’t cloves, they’re very irritated zoa/palys

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know. I personally get a little nervous around stuff like that. I prefer doing things the biological way any time I can.

undortunatelt in this hobby I always recommend frag dips, there’s some very nasty pests you can bring in.

“coral revive” is a little less harsh IMO on the Coral than H2O2

but not as effective either.

still good enough for me

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
undortunatelt in this hobby I always recommend frag dips, there’s some very nasty pests you can bring in.

still good enough for me
I know my personal method is frowned upon within the hobby. I don’t mind to dip a coral for injury or infection but I almost don’t dip unless SPS for pests. I find beauty within the nasty ugliness as well. :D

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

still good enough for me

Thank you for all this useful information, I was told that the one on the left was a Daisy polyp coral, I remember the name because of Daisy. The other one I do not remember, and of course after the fact I thought about writing down the names (again, I was too excited). I am going to look it up and dip them and see what happens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate light and flow are minimal requirements
Salinity 1.025
Temperature. 76-79
Ph. 8.1-8.3
Nitrate .03

You know the rules. It’s worth waiting. Everything in this hobby is cute. Patience pays off

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely avoid going back to that fish store for anything but fish.

When it comes to cleaning algae off zoas I use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and tank water and let it sit for 1 or 2 min. For hair algae I have also used a syringe and drop 100% peroxide on the algae and base of the coral with no I'll effects. It is more tedious and time consuming but does a better job of not irritating the coral since you keep it off the head. Zoas will be open and looking better than ever in less an hour as opposed to sometimes days with the full dip.

Of course if those zoas were open and looking good in the store and they are not opening in your tank then it's a problem with your lights or water. Maybe flow if you have them directly in front of power head but that is unlikely.

Do a google or Facebook search for local reef clubs. Most likely they will give you plenty of starter frags for free. Introduce yourself as being new and ask if anyone has some starter corals they can sell or donate to a newbie. You will get a few slimeballs that try and charge for the junk corals I will mention in a minute but if the group is more than 5 or 10 people you will get plenty of free stuff. Just make sure to pay it forward down the road :)

There is no need to wait to load that tank with softies as others have stated. Anytime I start a new tank for someone I immediately toss in a bunch of toadstools, sinularia, Kenya tree and easy zoas. Maybe some gsp if you are sure you have room on the sand bed and can be dilligent about isolating them there. candy cane corals are also a cheap easy starter lps and can be done immediately.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all this useful information, I was told that the one on the left was a Daisy polyp coral, I remember the name because of Daisy. The other one I do not remember, and of course after the fact I thought about writing down the names (again, I was too excited). I am going to look it up and dip them and see what happens.

Noted.

Seems like maybe you got these awhile ago and are now posting as the success didn't go so good?

Or did you get them like this?

again, I don't see any reason you can't add a zoa frag or Clove Daisy Polyps are a type of clove, I'm not sure if the cloves are dead, when they're VERY agitated they close up super tight.

Definitely you water is not up to par for these corals.

Before a dip I'd suggest a Water Change with good fresh Saltwater. the dip is going to make them more aggitated and may kill them off honestly.

Algae will upset coral if they're smothered in it, but the mouths of your zoa's absolutely have total room to open up. Maybe you could dip the cloves since I can't even see the polyps they might be covered but could be the photo.

Oh wow actually now that I know what it is.

that "long stringy" tenticle is actually one of your clove still trying to live.. it's super bleached and the top bulb is it's mouth and polyp completely shut up.

Your water is definitely NOT good right now, we need the params, your fish may be in trouble too.

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted.

Seems like maybe you got these awhile ago and are now posting as the success didn't go so good?

Or did you get them like this?

again, I don't see any reason you can't add a zoa frag or Clove Daisy Polyps are a type of clove, I'm not sure if the cloves are dead, when they're VERY agitated they close up super tight.

Definitely you water is not up to par for these corals.

Before a dip I'd suggest a Water Change with good fresh Saltwater. the dip is going to make them more aggitated and may kill them off honestly.

Algae will upset coral if they're smothered in it, but the mouths of your zoa's absolutely have total room to open up. Maybe you could dip the cloves since I can't even see the polyps they might be covered but could be the photo.

Oh wow actually now that I know what it is.

that "long stringy" tenticle is actually one of your clove still trying to live.. it's super bleached and the top bulb is it's mouth and polyp completely shut up.

Your water is definitely NOT good right now, we need the params, your fish may be in trouble too.
Yes, I am trying to run all my morning meetings and check my water after and will share.

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

Just give us

Ammonia
Phosphate
Nitrates
Nitrites

Also what's your source for your Saltwater when you do water changes?

Are you mixing at home or buying it?

Yes, there's definitely something off with the water, yesterday the numbers where normal but today the Nitrite is off, here are the numbers I have:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 2.0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

I haven't done any water changes yes, I cycled the tank for two weeks and the numbers were good to go before buying the fish and coral. I bought water to do the water changes.

Would a change of water help?

And by the way, I just added the fish two days ago.

(thanks for all your help)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back