OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update # 12: Ordered rock. I got 25 lbs of KP Starter Rock, and an Art Reef Rocks structure. Yes, I know NSA is bad for fish. That's why I got the regular rock as well, to add homes for them and placement for anemones. I also chose a structure with several caves and a thick base. I'm hoping to build up the base of the NSA part, and also do another small island. I picked Art Reef because the structure is modular, so you can take a piece off and move it to another spot without causing a rockslide. This is a photo from the website of the one I ordered:

1669722590111.png

It hasn't shipped yet, but I don't think it'll be too long. Hopefully...

I went with the starter rock from KP because it was cheaper than the premium, while still having the same amount of beneficial bacteria. From the pictures on the site, it also seems to have good shapes. I'm not sure how long it'll be, but I get the general idea of 1-2 weeks.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things look like they are coming together nicely! I think that you made a good choice in mixing live rock with an artificial structure that can be built modularly. I am anxious to see this build progress.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The live rock just got here. I am in no way ready to fill the tank, but it seems like I should to prevent die-off. Currently trying to figure out how to put an ATO together...
If you have an empty salt bucket or clean 5 gallon bucket, you could just fill up with saltwater and use a small power head, pump or airstone to aerate.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #13: Success!

1669774905381.png

The rock arrived today, much earlier than I had planned for. I wasn't ready at all. No leak test, ATO wasn't set up, etc. I did get it almost all running, but there were a few disasters. First, the pump was too strong, and got filled with air. Solved that, but there is still some noise. Next, I found a random puddle of water. It was RO/DI from filling the ATO, but still unexpected. As far as the rock goes, I have nothing negative to say. When I opened the box, I thought that they had sent me the premium, it is so covered with sponges and coralline. The shapes are all good too. There are many crabs and shrimp, but those I can remove later. As far as the tank and equipment, nothing has exploded or leaked so far. Hopefully that stays the same.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #13: Success!

1669774905381.png

The rock arrived today, much earlier than I had planned for. I wasn't ready at all. No leak test, ATO wasn't set up, etc. I did get it almost all running, but there were a few disasters. First, the pump was too strong, and got filled with air. Solved that, but there is still some noise. Next, I found a random puddle of water. It was RO/DI from filling the ATO, but still unexpected. As far as the rock goes, I have nothing negative to say. When I opened the box, I thought that they had sent me the premium, it is so covered with sponges and coralline. The shapes are all good too. There are many crabs and shrimp, but those I can remove later. As far as the tank and equipment, nothing has exploded or leaked so far. Hopefully that stays the same.

Love KP rock! If you want to get rid of any living things, like crabs or shrimp, just let me know! I'll happily come pick them up for our classroom invertebrate tank. I like all sorts of odd little critters, even if they don't make good neighbors in a reef tank (which is why I have other tanks than the main reef for them!).

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love KP rock! If you want to get rid of any living things, like crabs or shrimp, just let me know! I'll happily come pick them up for our classroom invertebrate tank. I like all sorts of odd little critters, even if they don't make good neighbors in a reef tank (which is why I have other tanks than the main reef for them!).

Thanks! I don't think that I need to worry about those things though. When I checked on the tank this morning there was a lot of die-off. Crabs, snails, starfish, and even a small urchin. I guess it's a sign that the cycle is progressing, but I'm still not super happy about it. I did see a living pistol shrimp, however.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I don't think that I need to worry about those things though. When I checked on the tank this morning there was a lot of die-off. Crabs, snails, starfish, and even a small urchin. I guess it's a sign that the cycle is progressing, but I'm still not super happy about it. I did see a living pistol shrimp, however.
Sorry about the die off, that's a bummer. I hate to see any creatures come to a misfortune end.
I ordered a pistol shrimp from KPA. It's an Atlantic pistol shrimp that I named Rice Krispie. Anyway, I think Rice Krispie was eating my masked gobies so he got banished to my refugium, ha ha! Actually I think he is very happy there. I tell you this so that you can keep an eye on your pistol shrimp should it survive the cycle process. If you add some biospira bacteria it will kick start the cycle.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea. Do you think that I need the BioSpira? I was planning to just let the rock cycle the tank. As far as the shrimp, I think that I saw seven. Three blue ones, three red ones, and a striped one. And I imagine that there are even more somewhere in the rocks. No mantis so far, though!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea. Do you think that I need the BioSpira? I was planning to just let the rock cycle the tank. As far as the shrimp, I think that I saw seven. Three blue ones, three red ones, and a striped one. And I imagine that there are even more somewhere in the rocks. No mantis so far, though!
The tank will definitely cycle without the Biospira and the shrimp may even live through the process. The Biospira just helps give the BioLife in the tank an added boost and may help keep toxic ammonia to a lower amount.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found some bubble algae on the rock while rescaping... Bubble algae was one of the main reasons that I took down my last 20 gallon. Does anybody know of something that eats it? Should I maybe turn the lights off for a week or two to kill it? Apparently tangs and foxfaces might eat it, but I'm not sure if the tank is big enough. Any ideas? There are only two that I can see, and I want to get rid of it before it can take over.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found some bubble algae on the rock while rescaping... Bubble algae was one of the main reasons that I took down my last 20 gallon. Does anybody know of something that eats it? Should I maybe turn the lights off for a week or two to kill it? Apparently tangs and foxfaces might eat it, but I'm not sure if the tank is big enough. Any ideas? There are only two that I can see, and I want to get rid of it before it can take over.
I have bubble algae and have tried emerald crabs to no avail. What I do is use flex tubing with a similar diameter rigid tubing on the end. I syphon water out while prying the bubble algae off. The water, bubble algae and hopefully spores all go through the tubing. At any rate, it keeps the bubble algae at bay but I never seem to eradicate it.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you just remove it manually? You can siphon while removing if you want.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bubble algae and have tried emerald crabs to no avail. What I do is use flex tubing with a similar diameter rigid tubing on the end. I syphon water out while prying the bubble algae off. The water, bubble algae and hopefully spores all go through the tubing. At any rate, it keeps the bubble algae at bay but I never seem to eradicate it.

@vlangel beat me to it

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had generally good experiences with reef cleaners. Never ordered an emerald crab from them, but they supposedly guarantee theirs to eat bubble algae or you get a refund. Don't know if anyone else does this. They have been very good about refunds for things that don't ship well. John is very good about promptly responding to emails.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back