New bullethole clown wont eat

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I picked up 2 clownfish a couple days ago. One is eating fine, swimming in middle of tank etc. All is good. (Davinci clown)

The other one, swimming by the overflow all day. Not Inerested in food after multiple feeding attempts. Seems to not be the strongest of swimmers in general. (Bullethole clown)

Tried frozen mysis, plankton, pellets. Does even attempt to eat them. The other one scarfs down all 3 no issues lol.

Paid a decent amount for the little guy so dont want to loose him for multiple reasons. Parameters are good so it's not that. Think I maybe just got unlucky Gene's on this one. He has cool marking on him which was my deciding factor when I picked him. Should have paid more attention to his behaviour..

Should I be concerned?

Thank you!

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my new clown seemed like he was having a hard time swimming and kept ending up near the overflow, it was my water parameters, immediately after a water change he was swimming normally...

also, just one of the clowns from the pair were struggling like this so i didn’t consider my water at first!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming by the overflow all day doesn’t sound good. If your parameters are normal then He likely has velvet or brook or some other problem in the gills. Do you have a 10 gallon or other quarantine available to setup? if he’s not eating you need to act promptly. The other fish is at risk too.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming by the overflow all day doesn’t sound good. If your parameters are normal then He likely has velvet or brook or some other problem in the gills. Do you have a 10 gallon or other quarantine available to setup? if he’s not eating you need to act promptly. The other fish is at risk too.

Unfortuantley no quarantine set up now. Both came in at the about 10 days ago, and were in the same tank reserved for me while my tank finished up its cycle. Both had same acclimation etc. So I'm left a little confused. If it was parameters I would imagine both would not be interested in eating.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my new clown seemed like he was having a hard time swimming and kept ending up near the overflow, it was my water parameters, immediately after a water change he was swimming normally...

also, just one of the clowns from the pair were struggling like this so i didn’t consider my water at first!

Ok thank you! I will do a 20% WC and see how it goes

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest checking salinity, temp , ammonia, nitrite and if all good them I would highly recommend medicated quarantine, it sound like you might need to read up on this topic.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my powerhead off the first night my clowns were in the tank. By morning they had ventured out of the corner and I spelt ramped my powerhead back on throughout the day. They had a few rides on the wave but it being off let them venture and get use to the tank I believe

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my powerhead off the first night my clowns were in the tank. By morning they had ventured out of the corner and I spelt ramped my powerhead back on throughout the day. They had a few rides on the wave but it being off let them venture and get use to the tank I believe

Ya I have my powerhead of completely till he gets stronger. Just the return pump 95 GPh going for now. He was having issues before with the 425 korellia to say the least lol

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally would not quarantine and especially would not medicate unless there is a specific reason and you see clear signs of needing that... quarantining is very stressful and medicating takes shots at the immune system and causes diseases, so unless the fish has a disease and needs to be treated drastically like that, i’d explore other culprits...

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is a concern, if he does not eat, of course he will weaken.
Swimming near flow I agree may be velvet or brook.
The behavior in the first couple of days would not concern me, longer means something is wrong.

D8C3DC48-0A23-4CEA-B1F4-C8BB272C4CF4.jpeg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest keeping the Koralia running, but point it near a wall and up to break the surface. You want gas exchange.

Try adding some LFS garlic additive to their food until it starts pigging out, then wean them off the garlic.

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear a lot oc cases of velvet going around...

Maybe the store you bought it from can help

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back