new camera = new pics

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got a new digital SLR Rebel XTI for christmas, to replace my 6year old point and shoot digital camera.

all i can say is wow, what a difference!!

i've barely had any time to sit down and mess with it. so all i've basically got is some random images taken in auto settings.

green polyped toadstool

green%20polyped%20toadstool.jpg

white polyped cap

leng%20sy%20cap.jpg

pink milli with blue tips

pink%20with%20blue%20tips%20milli.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saramentosa

saramentosa.jpg

some more sps

sunset%20monti.jpg

some zoa frags: PRPE's, desert fox's, alien eyes, purple death, AOG's, AOG next gen (or whatever its called), ruby reds

zoafrags1.jpg

pink elephants on the right

zoafrags2.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice Al.. thanks for sharing your pics... I'm sure we'll be seeing more pics from you now.... :)

those Wines are looking amazing...

Last edited:

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to really love this camera once you get the hang of it. I got the xt and Im in love with it. You have a few more megapixils than me so your pics are going to rock! Whats the green polyped piece in the last sps pic?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to really love this camera once you get the hang of it. I got the xt and Im in love with it. You have a few more megapixils than me so your pics are going to rock! Whats the green polyped piece in the last sps pic?

thanks, i dont think those megapixels will make much of a difference though on a computer screen. ;)

i think you are referring to the sunset monti. when the green polyps are fully out, you can barely see the orange base.

SeaMonkey, which polyps are you referring to? the ones about the red wine/ruby reds?? if so, those are your *true* Armor of Gods.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, tried to do some manual mode stuff today...without much luck. couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off when taking pics in RAW mode.

i did manage to get some better closeups though.

frogspawn.jpg

baby bangaii

baby%20bangaii.jpg

just got this the other day, can't remember the name but it has blue polyps.
blue%20polyp%20something.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA blue polyped acro

ORA%20blue%20polyped%20acro.jpg

pink polyp cap and superman

pink%20polyp%20cap.jpg

pink stylo with green polyps...one of my favorites.

pink%20with%20green%20polyps%20stylo.jpg

this pic came out really cool. but was totally by accident. lol

white%20polyp%20cap.jpg

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics came out really nice. The cardinal came out so clear. Were you in manual for that pic? Also that last pic is cool.

Old Man Of The Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that your a Rebel XT, imaging now if you had a 100 mm micro lens for I should know, I have this camera for here is a little of something what is installed for you once you manage to buy the 100 mm micro lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics came out really nice. The cardinal came out so clear. Were you in manual for that pic? Also that last pic is cool.

nope, no manual. i tried to take some pics in "P mode" so I could mess with the RAW images, but i couldn't figure out how to turn the flash off. any suggestions on how to turn the flash off manually?

those pics were taken in the basic modes (the modes with the symbols on your little dial thingy)....

i'm pretty sure i took some of them in the macro mode (that flower symbol), and the others in no flash mode (lightning bolt with a cross through it). dont remember which were which though.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frogspawn you have Al is killer....I used to have a frogspawn like that, it died in a tank crash....Sweet pics Al.

You to OmotS...

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the second and third pics in your new batch of pics....The second one is that a Sunrise monti?

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new pics look good. Are you using the timer? My pics look so much better since I started using the timer.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the second and third pics in your new batch of pics....The second one is that a Sunrise monti?

its actually called the sunset monti ;)

i've been taking mostly pics of the sps lately, b/c the light in that tank is much brighter. i'll see what i can do with pics of my zoa tank in the next couple of days. its only lit by a 175w XM15k, and after getting used to the 250w radium, the 175w just looks so dim. so i figure its gonna be tricky to get some well exposed pics.

The new pics look good. Are you using the timer? My pics look so much better since I started using the timer.

yup, i just started using the timer while on the tripod. is there any way to change how long the timer delay is? i'd like to shorten it to like 3sec if possible...i think its at like 10-12sec.

i saw a couple of your posts over in the photography forum on RC, feel free to post your picture taking progress here too. ;) i'm interested in any techniques or other tricks you figure out, since your camera is essentially the same as mine. although i guess you using the macro lense now?

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back