New clam owner here, few questions.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I picked up my first clam yesterday from a LFS.

I did all the checks I had read about, passed over the clam with my hand and it had a quick instant reaction to light. I noticed it wasn't SUPER open in the store, about half the clams were and I know they had just gotten them a few days ago, I just attested this to stress or acclimation?

Here is the clam that I brought home after 24 hours.

2AZZTJT.jpg

When I got him he wasn't attached to anything so I set him in a container on a rock that is cup shaped so that it doesn't tip.

He obviously isn't opening up the best, but still reacts to light quickly. Is this just a normal part of acclimation to a new tank, or at what point should I be worried?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u acclimate him and how long? Was he exposed to air during transfer? Did u check for pyramidal snails?
The rock should b enough to keep him upright the dish is probably unnecessary.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u acclimate him and how long? Was he exposed to air during transfer? Did u check for pyramidal snails?
The rock should b enough to keep him upright the dish is probably unnecessary.
Drip acclimated him over 2 hours, checked for snails, and burped him when we went in the tank (he was never out in the air to me knowledge.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the bag refloated to warm up during acclimation?
Sounds like u did everything right. Try removing him from the dish and see if that perks him up....

adam@army

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was like that for 2 days, then on 3rd day it opened up more. Hope everything is fine with your clam. Actually it kinda looks like mine

IMG_6583.JPG

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would post an update pic with the clam, I have had it about a month now and it's looking great compare to the first picture I posted, just thought I would share.

Everyone that looks at the tank seems to think it's "fake" until I pass my hand over the tank and they see it close up. Gives people something interesting to look at while all my sps grows out haha.

i18v7Iz.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only needs if exposed to air...to do it u place clam with inhalent slit higher than the exhalent siphon. The opposite of usual orientation. The clam will open and close until the bubble is released. Then u can put him back to normal orientation.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only needs if exposed to air...to do it u place clam with inhalent slit higher than the exhalent siphon. The opposite of usual orientation. The clam will open and close until the bubble is released. Then u can put him back to normal orientation.

This is really good to know. I did expose it to the air for a second when I took it out of the bag. I know I'm stoopid. I never even thought about it. How would I even know if it needs burping?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really good to know. I did expose it to the air for a second when I took it out of the bag. I know I'm stoopid. I never even thought about it. How would I even know if it needs burping?

The clam will not act right it'll snap shut repeatively and won't extend its mantle.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clam but caution if this was wild caught. Tahitians and such have a very poor survival rate in the aquarium. Cultured clams seem to do much better but those coming from the Tahiti wild just don't seem to last long. I would also make sure it has room to fully expand in that plastic container. That's not a normal home for a clam. If you have some small rock rubble or calc reactor media I would fill the bottom of that container if you plan on keeping him in there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back