New Clam - Will it make it?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this Derasa clam a week ago, and it was pretty open and happy for about 4 days. About a 3” clam. It decided to detach itself from the rock I had it on and left the byssal threads behind. I moved it back up where it was. This might have been a mistake since it has been looking worse and worse every day since.

I inspected it last night for snails and then I moved it more out in the open on the sand and this is what it looks like this morning. Clearly irritated. I turned up the whites for the photo.

4690547b4fb3a900296d1d4c0cf0c314.jpg

Parameters:
Nitrate 6ppm
Phosphate .03
Alk - 9.3 doh
Calcium - 460
Magnesium - 1440

Tank is a 24” cube lit with 2 Hydra 26HD fixtures and has been growing SPS well for months. I figured I would try a clam and now I’m bummed because I haven’t lost any livestock in a LONG time.

My guess is either the foot was damaged when it detached itself or it just doesn’t like my system.

Do you think it will survive given how it is retracting? It doesn’t respond quickly to shadows anymore so I’m guessing it is toast... [emoji17]

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams will move to where they want. Likely caused some damage or stress when moving it. I would just leave it be and it will go where it needs. That is if it's still healthy.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams will move to where they want. Likely caused some damage or stress when moving it. I would just leave it be and it will go where it needs. That is if it's still healthy.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. It is slowly opening a little more as the lights are ramping up today, so maybe it will turn around....

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and figure out why clams detach - nobody knows and it will drive you crazy.

Deresa are relatively easy clam. 3" is a great size. I think think that you are set up about as well as you can be for success.

I would leave it alone as much as possible.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and figure out why clams detach - nobody knows and it will drive you crazy.

Deresa are relatively easy clam. 3" is a great size. I think think that you are set up about as well as you can be for success.

I would leave it alone as much as possible.

+1

JaaxReef it does not look bad. Give it some time my friend.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasa and Squamosa Clams hail from sandy areas whereas Crocea and Maxima Clams are rock boring Clams that bore into rock and remain there. Tridacna’s will let you know when they are unhappy and that’s when you need to make the change to right the ship, so to speak. Possibly moving them to a different location, change light intensity, water flow, water parameter issues, placement around neighboring corals etc. and feeding small micron sized phytoplankton can make a difference. It doesn’t seem to look too bad based on that one picture. It is not closed up and it looks like it’s mantle is extended somewhat. Also, their is no sign of a gapping siphon or bleaching in its mantle either. These are all signs of stress from one or more variables.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went down hill in a hurry, which I hear is common. I guess my instincts were correct. Continued to recede like crazy yesterday evening and by this morning the cleanup crew was on it. Didn’t make it. [emoji17]

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went down hill in a hurry, which I hear is common. I guess my instincts were correct. Continued to recede like crazy yesterday evening and by this morning the cleanup crew was on it. Didn’t make it. [emoji17]

I am sorry many of us clam keepers have been there. and know how you feel.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks! Sorry to hear that! Do you have any intentions of buying another one?

I might try again in the future. I’m just a little bummed since I have been really good about maintaining livestock without any losses for the last year or so. Always sad to feel like you let a living creature down.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All us clam keepers have had losses. It can be tough to find a healthy clam to start with. I was fortunate enough to find a local supplier and the two I have from him have been doing good for some time now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back