New Clowns getting pushed around.

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first 2 clowns today and I have a 480gph wavemaker in the tank. After letting them sit for a bit when I first put them in I realized they were being really pushed around by the current my wavemaker is making. I ended up turning it off and it's been about 12hours. I just turned it back on and they seemed to be doing better but are still being pushed around a bit (they seem to handle the current well and sometimes swim into it hard other times just chill and swim slow). I have my wavemaker set up to push the water in a big O around my tank. Should I turn it off for a bit or is this how it's meant to be? I have a big texas holey at the center of my tank, but they have yet explore over to it yet.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be fine, just give them time to acclimate. I introduced two freshwater Mollies to my tank, and they were blown around all over, but now one week later they are swimming around like nothing, grazing and even eating from the turbulant surface.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be fine, just give them time to acclimate. I introduced two freshwater Mollies to my tank, and they were blown around all over, but now one week later they are swimming around like nothing, grazing and even eating from the turbulant surface.
That's what I was assuming. I will probably just keep it off for a bit then turn it on every once and a while, eventually leaving it on.

They are also very small so maybe once they gain a few grams they will have an easier time.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Reef. Leaving the power head on will allow them to find the places they will want to hang out. Are they eating alright?

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into the water a bit more...
I was getting a reading of 1.026 on my sal. so I did a small water change to hopefully lower that to a 1.024-25 and I realized my heater wasn't plugged in bc I had just set up a new shelving unit ;-;. My temps were a solid 70-71 so I am going to raise it to a 76.

As of right now, they are together mainly on the surface. I am going to feed them their morning food and let them hang for a bit. I will be back in a few hours with my info.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I'd just let them get used to their new home. Don't overfeed.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I'd just let them get used to their new home. Don't overfeed.
would you say a sal.. of 1.026-27 is too high? They seem to be naturally floating to the surface when not actively swimming. Should I try to slowly lower it to 1.023-25 or will that probably not affect it too much?

I don't know if you read my above message but I am also fixing the temps as they were pretty low due to me forget to plug my heater in so maybe a temp change from 71 to 76 should make them a bit happier?

I know I shouldn't mess with the water too much as they were just put in but let me know if there are any actions I should take.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my salinity at 1.024 - 1.025. I don't have an ATO, so as the water evaporates the salinity goes up a tad. When I then topoff with rodi it comes back down. Been doing it that way for over 30 years without issue.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you say a sal.. of 1.026-27 is too high? They seem to be naturally floating to the surface when not actively swimming. Should I try to slowly lower it to 1.023-25 or will that probably not affect it too much?

I don't know if you read my above message but I am also fixing the temps as they were pretty low due to me forget to plug my heater in so maybe a temp change from 71 to 76 should make them a bit happier?

I know I shouldn't mess with the water too much as they were just put in but let me know if there are any actions I should take.
Sorry. My last post was a response to the fish eating. 1.026 is fine. If it's stable, I wouldn't mess with the salinity. I personally would slowly raise the temp to 78ish. Clowns will often find a corner at the top of the tank to hang out in until they get used to their surroundings. Could be a long time. I would just monitor for ammonia and be prepared to do a water change on the off chance you get a spike.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. My last post was a response to the fish eating. 1.026 is fine. If it's stable, I wouldn't mess with the salinity. I personally would slowly raise the temp to 78ish. Clowns will often find a corner at the top of the tank to hang out in until they get used to their surroundings. Could be a long time. I would just monitor for ammonia and be prepared to do a water change on the off chance you get a spike.
Yeah, I am seeing a lot of places saying they love corners. I already did a small water change to hopefully bring down my sal. so I wouldn't mess with It anymore. My heater has a built-in "stagger" so it tends to take an hour to get to the temp set.

Other than that, they have now moved to the bottom of my tank behind a piece of dried-up coral in the same corner.

Thanks for the quick responses. I definitely get a bit anxious when I put new fish in, happened when I got my goldfish as well xP.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my salinity at 1.024 - 1.025. I don't have an ATO, so as the water evaporates the salinity goes up a tad. When I then topoff with rodi it comes back down. Been doing it that way for over 30 years without issue.
Sounds good, thanks for the response. I also don't have a ATO so I will keep this in mind as my water evaporates.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thanks for the response. I also don't have a ATO so I will keep this in mind as my water evaporates.
Just remember to top off at least every other day - in the winter around here it's really dry so evaporation increases. I lose about 3-4g in 3 days (120DT/40 sump). In the summer it goes down to 3-4g in 4-5 days. I try to remember to add water at least every other day regardless.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to top off at least every other day - in the winter around here it's really dry so evaporation increases. I lose about 3-4g in 3 days (120DT/40 sump). In the summer it goes down to 3-4g in 4-5 days. I try to remember to add water at least every other day regardless.
Thankfully all my fishies are in my basement which is where my AC is so it maintains a solid 70-71 year-round. I haven't had my tanks through a whole summer so I have yet to see how that goes but I imagine they will be fine in my basement as, as I said, it's very chill and dry down here in the summer.

I think I am having more of a problem with all the salt deposits on my light and tank lip.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.026 for corals and inverts.
1.020 for fish only.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to coax them over to the rock and they are now living behind in this little cave. The one that is hiding more was going "limp", I am assuming he was sleeping, while the other was almost guarding it. Is this correct behaviour and should I be worried at all? Should the one guarding also take time to sleep?
@Billdogg

image0 (1).jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should let them find their own way in the aquarium. Any attempt to get them to go where you think they should will only stress them more than they already are.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should let them find their own way in the aquarium. Any attempt to get them to go where you think they should will only stress them more than they already are.
Yeah, I was just trying to get them out of the wavemaker, they are very young and small so I was concerned they might get sucked up or stuck. I stuck a net in the water and blocked off the wavemaker and then they went over to the rock.

They were on the opposite corner of the tank for a bit but this morning they were around the rock and under that ledge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back