New Comb Wrasse (Coris Picta)

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this big guy at School of Fish in Dosoto, TX and had to have!

Yesterday I brought home a stunning super-male Comb Wrasse (Coris Picta). I had never seen this species of wrasse before although I don't have a lot of wrasses in my tank. He is full adult and super cool. It is very hard to add any new fish to my tank as the existing fish usually won't have it. I recently lost a Razor Wrasse as one of my Yellow Tahitian Hawk fish wouldn't let him out of the sand. But this guy fit right in, front and center, and is doing great. Not sure how common these are but this was the first one I've seen and thought I would share. Would be cool to get a female someday! I did read that the Dallas Aquarium has one. Any one else have them here?

Steve

tempImage0RTM7j.png
tempImage1TfudE.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe anyone on here has one currently… Be warned, the genus says a lot about how big they get and how aggressive they are. Seeing you already have a Coris formosa in the tank, long term you may have issues depending on tank size. Coris formosa will get rather large, I would expect around 18 inches in captivity (2’ is the largest recorded specimen to my knowledge). So chances are you haven’t seen the worst of aggression from that wrasse.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definitely know there may be some issues down the round. And some wrasses I have avoided because of the horror stories I’ve heard.

The Comb is nearly full grown. For other potentially large wrasses I have a Red Coris, Formosa and Dragon Wrasse. They are about 6” and get along now. The Dragon, while the smaller of the three, is at the top of the pecking order, in my tank, among the wrasses.

I also have a Malaysian Sunset and a Red Check. No one bothers them. They are about 4-5”. As I mentioned I cannot add any more small wrasses. I lost the last one, a Razor Wrasse, and was really bummed. And the tank is full anyway.

The fastest growing so far has been the Dragon but he was the smallest one I acquired over a year ago. He was like 2”. The others have not been growing that fast.

The tank is diamond shaped and 800g.

Thanks for chiming in. I started with Triggers, Tangs and Angels. But I have really learned to appreciate the Wrasses. I’ll be curiously if anyone else has experience with the Comb.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definitely know there may be some issues down the round. And some wrasses I have avoided because of the horror stories I’ve heard.

The Comb is nearly full grown. For other potentially large wrasses I have a Red Coris, Formosa and Dragon Wrasse. They are about 6” and get along now. The Dragon, while the smaller of the three, is at the top of the pecking order, in my tank, among the wrasses.

I also have a Malaysian Sunset and a Red Check. No one bothers them. They are about 4-5”. As I mentioned I cannot add any more small wrasses. I lost the last one, a Razor Wrasse, and was really bummed. And the tank is full anyway.

The fastest growing so far has been the Dragon but he was the smallest one I acquired over a year ago. He was like 2”. The others have not been growing that fast.

The tank is diamond shaped and 800g.

Thanks for chiming in. I started with Triggers, Tangs and Angels. But I have really learned to appreciate the Wrasses. I’ll be curiously if anyone else has experience with the Comb.
Dang, photos of the others are a must in the wrasse lovers thread!!

Joseim4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe anyone on here has one currently… Be warned, the genus says a lot about how big they get and how aggressive they are. Seeing you already have a Coris formosa in the tank, long term you may have issues depending on tank size. Coris formosa will get rather large, I would expect around 18 inches in captivity (2’ is the largest recorded specimen to my knowledge). So chances are you haven’t seen the worst of aggression from that wrasse.
The question is are they Reef safe??

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back