OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I'd keep trying the black worms and also live brine.
I will. The black worms are not really a hit with any of my fish. Seems to wiggle alot for a few seconds, but they die pretty fast.
I've also tried blood worms, but even though they wiggle right in front of it, it just looks at it for a while and moves on.
It's so wierd having a fish looking for food all day long, but not eating any when offered...

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update and avoid another thread just ending.
The cbb was getting a bit 'bullued' again today, so I refitted the divider. I think some peace and quite is needed at this point.
It has eaten a few black worms, so will continue offer those in small portions several times during the day, for the next days.

Will keep the thread updated.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.
It seems I can't make a solid divider in my tank, and the cbb finds a way out to go investigate the rockwork:(
The purple tang has resumed its hostility towards the cbb, so it is pretty much confirned to a corner.
The CBB does eat a lot more blackworms, but it's hard to feed it in the corner..the other fish are also pretty interested in the worms now.
I have a feeding 'tube' with holes in the corner where the cbb is hanging out, but it doesn't show any interest in it.

At this point, all I can do is hope the purple tang will at some point stop the aggression, and give the cbb some space.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.
It seems I can't make a solid divider in my tank, and the cbb finds a way out to go investigate the rockwork:(
The purple tang has resumed its hostility towards the cbb, so it is pretty much confirned to a corner.
The CBB does eat a lot more blackworms, but it's hard to feed it in the corner..the other fish are also pretty interested in the worms now.
I have a feeding 'tube' with holes in the corner where the cbb is hanging out, but it doesn't show any interest in it.

At this point, all I can do is hope the purple tang will at some point stop the aggression, and give the cbb some space.
Purple Tangs don’t stop with aggression, they usually won’t stop until the fish is submissive and since the fish HES going for it very similar bodied as well as delicate when nearly introduced, chances are he wont stop until the CBB is dead.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tangs don’t stop with aggression, they usually won’t stop until the fish is submissive and since the fish HES going for it very similar bodied as well as delicate when nearly introduced, chances are he wont stop until the CBB is dead.
I think you could be right.
What puzzles me a bit, is that the tang completely ignored it for a couple of days.
Wish I could remove the tang, but knowing it's behaviour it won't be easy.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang only chased my newly added Copperband for a few days so there is a chance it will stop, unfortunately there is also a fair chance that it won’t like @i cant think said.
Guess time will tell.
On a positive note, it seems to be getting familiar with me feeding blackworms, and is eating more than ever. However, I can't keep feeding small portions 20 times a day.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the weirdest thing.
The purple tang is again completely ignoring the cbb.
The cbb is keeping to one end of the tank, investigating the nearby rickwork and sand.
It has become very familiar with the long feeding tube I'm using and eating straight from the tube.
I hope this behavior continues.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the weirdest thing.
The purple tang is again completely ignoring the cbb.
The cbb is keeping to one end of the tank, investigating the nearby rickwork and sand.
It has become very familiar with the long feeding tube I'm using and eating straight from the tube.
I hope this behavior continues.
Glad its eating worms. Very good sign. I had the same problem. CBB kept getting out. Was like houdini. i decided to rehome my yellow tang after a nice gash to the cbb and glad I did. Love the CBB. After I got my CBB and now a longnose, the appeal of tangs for me has greatly diminished personally.

My other fish also discovered the worms, but by then my cbb was with me 4 months fattening up.

You can't find a small QT tank on craigslist to use for a few months with a cheap mechanical filter? That cbb will need to eat a lot and now that its started eating you will be feeding very often for a while to feed it enough to gain healthy weight if it stays in there. Separated, two times a day feeding worked just fine for me and now its still twice a day in display.

For what its worth I thought my yellow had adjusted to my cbb then a couple days later its got stabbed. I saw the yellow swim by and without warning slash the cbb so its a real gamble. The cbb's aren't as fat as other tangs so they aren't as able to withstand a deep cut, from what I understand.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad its eating worms. Very good sign. I had the same problem. CBB kept getting out. Was like houdini. i decided to rehome my yellow tang after a nice gash to the cbb and glad I did. Love the CBB. After I got my CBB and now a longnose, the appeal of tangs for me has greatly diminished personally.

My other fish also discovered the worms, but by then my cbb was with me 4 months fattening up.

You can't find a small QT tank on craigslist to use for a few months with a cheap mechanical filter? That cbb will need to eat a lot and now that its started eating you will be feeding very often for a while to feed it enough to gain healthy weight if it stays in there. Separated, two times a day feeding worked just fine for me and now its still twice a day in display.

For what its worth I thought my yellow had adjusted to my cbb then a couple days later its got stabbed. I saw the yellow swim by and without warning slash the cbb so its a real gamble. The cbb's aren't as fat as other tangs so they aren't as able to withstand a deep cut, from what I understand.
I have not seen any contact from the tang, and it has never chased it.
The biggest issue is getting any of those fish out of the tank. If possible, I'd remove the tang, honestly.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any contact from the tang, and it has never chased it.
The biggest issue is getting any of those fish out of the tank. If possible, I'd remove the tang, honestly.
Thats a good option then the tang loses its territorial advantage for a while. My yellow was pretty easy to catch in a makeshift trap from a little clear plastic pet carrier and a string. I skipped a day of feeding and put nori ,which it loved , in there and after about 2 days it was eating inside the box then I nabbed it.

The cbb shape is a little too like zebrasomas with their snout I think. My hippo never noticed the cbb.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good option then the tang loses its territorial advantage for a while. My yellow was pretty easy to catch in a makeshift trap from a little plastic pet carrier and a string. I skipped a day of feeding and put nori ,which it loved , in there and after about 2 days it was eating inside the box then I nabbed it.
My tang isn't much interested in nori, but I just might go that route.
I'll give it a few more days to see how it develops, and might buy / make a trap monday if it doesn't continue in the right direction.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang isn't much interested in nori, but I just might go that route.
I'll give it a few more days to see how it develops, and might buy / make a trap monday if it doesn't continue in the right direction.
Good luck. Hope it works out. A cbb can be really bold and inquisitive fish and quite capable of defending themselves when healthy and eating well.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update.
Not much has changed. Cbb is staying at his end of the tank, and has plenty of respect for the purple tang. Tang is still not letting the cbb roam free, but no real chasing or attacking.
Cbb is begging for food often and eats quite a lot of black worms - not sure if it gets enough, but seems pretty active.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had luck with live clams then frozen clams on half shell. I would use a rubberbabd to attach the shell to a piece of rock. Then I started trying a bunch of frozen food. First frozen it loved was PE mysis. I found using garlic was the game changer. Now it eats PE mysis and LRS reef frenzy like a pig.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck with live clams then frozen clams on half shell. I would use a rubberbabd to attach the shell to a piece of rock. Then I started trying a bunch of frozen food. First frozen it loved was PE mysis. I found using garlic was the game changer. Now it eats PE mysis and LRS reef frenzy like a pig.
I can only get one kind of fresh mussel here, whuch it is not interested in. Doesn't seem to have much meat in it either....
Garlic doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only get one kind of fresh mussel here, whuch it is not interested in. Doesn't seem to have much meat in it either....
Garlic doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
I use the Paul B method of freezing live, opened clams and the shaving paper thin portions off. My cbb (and other fish) go nuts for it. This works a lot better than putting the whole half shell clam in the tank.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Paul B method of freezing live, opened clams and the shaving paper thin portions off. My cbb (and other fish) go nuts for it. This works a lot better than putting the whole half shell clam in the tank.
I think I need some other type of clam.
Those I have can't really be sliced in any way. Seems like 80% empty with whatever goo/stringy stuff is left. Can't imagine why anyone would eat this stuff.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update if anyone is interested.

I tried adding a trap to get the purple tang out, however he was the only dang fish not going in to eat...might try again later, when I have more free time.

The cbb is pretty much confined to one end of the tank. Not much aggression, but he moves out of the way when the tang comes close.
Spending alot of money feeding blackworms from a tube, and cbb has definitely gained back some size - hungry little fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back