New Current USA Orbit R24 LEDs

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to run two controllers if you run 2 strips and a r24 or does it have a way to connect the r24 into the existing loop
If you have the loop Bluetooth that comes with the strip you can run two lights and 3 pumps on it. Both lights have the settings as one, so you don’t have an option of lowering one down while maxing out the other.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this light as my hydra26hd is dead with a burned diode and can't find a replacement diode, currently using a prime hd in it's place. How is everyone liking these? Would a 2 pack of these be adequate for a reefer 350 4 foot long tank. Only a few lps and softie corals and some random sps at the top and several stylophora and a rbta. Chewy has them on sale and cheaper than a new Hydra 32

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've run into a problem. Our 125 trim is 1 1/4 inch thick. These tank mounts only support up to an inch trim. So they're currently worthless.

We have a Marineland majesty stand and I'm not sure the stand mounts will work either since it's an open back stand.

We've currently got the nights rigged up with a rope tied to weights holding them up against the tiny edge part of the rim. It works for now, but isn't gonna work long term.

I have no idea why current wouldn't make a mount for the rim of tanks to be adjustable. This has been my only gripe so far.

Any suggestions until then? The lights have what look to be screw holes in the top for possible hanging. I'm just upset at the moment that we got everything good to go, and 1/4 of an inch is making things complicated. Maybe I should have measured before we made the move.

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably sand a 1/8 off each side of the bracket to get that 1/4. The brackets for the strip lights were very thick .

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've run into a problem. Our 125 trim is 1 1/4 inch thick. These tank mounts only support up to an inch trim. So they're currently worthless.

We have a Marineland majesty stand and I'm not sure the stand mounts will work either since it's an open back stand.

We've currently got the nights rigged up with a rope tied to weights holding them up against the tiny edge part of the rim. It works for now, but isn't gonna work long term.

I have no idea why current wouldn't make a mount for the rim of tanks to be adjustable. This has been my only gripe so far.

Any suggestions until then? The lights have what look to be screw holes in the top for possible hanging. I'm just upset at the moment that we got everything good to go, and 1/4 of an inch is making things complicated. Maybe I should have measured before we made the move.
First there is this odd stand mount:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/orbit-r24-stand-mount-adapter-4492-current-usa/

current-orbit-r24-flex-arm-with-tank-mount-bracket-by-current-usa.jpg

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strip lights mount will fit trim up to 1.5 in thick. These only have 2 screw holes VS the 4 on the r24, but they may work. I'll also try sanding lines currently

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strip lights mount will fit trim up to 1.5 in thick. These only have 2 screw holes VS the 4 on the r24, but they may work. I'll also try sanding lines currently
Are you talking about a plastic rim w/ an edge for a top?
I just nibble away the edge when necessary.
The "shelf" isn't structural afaict.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about a plastic rim w/ an edge for a top?
I just nibble away the edge when necessary.
The "shelf" isn't structural afaict.
Yeah just normal black trim. What do you use to cut that much away with? I'm always so nervous about messing with anything on these big tanks lol

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just normal black trim. What do you use to cut that much away with? I'm always so nervous about messing with anything on these big tanks lol
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/notching-rim-frame.391493/

Well this us sort of embarrassing but I don' t exactly remember my cuts to a 40 and 20 rim.

Pretty sure I hack sawed the perp cuts.

Will get back to this when my memory clears.

Most use a dremel.
I' ve got a small horse hoof trimmer that I' ve often used for trimming laminate.

" Might" have used it here.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Excited to share my wife and I received our new, and newly released last week, Current USA Orbit R24 lights. We did the 3 light setup for our 75g eventual mixed reef.

I had reached out to Current to ask about lighting for this tank and sps corals, since there were so many mixed reviews.

They responded that they would be releasing these lights soon if I could wait until release. I did, and am extremely pleased. They sent me some par data on a 24" deep tank. My tank is 21" with a 2 or 3" sandbed, so I figured these were exactly what I was looking for.

Their customer service and dealing with my many questions was above and beyond what I expected from a bigger company. They are even sending us a free light gift for our next tank. Didn't ask for it at all, they simply were that nice and going above and beyond for a random customer.

The Bluetooth app, and the individual controls for the lights is amazing. We've got a nice sunrise/sunset feature, which my wife and I both wanted. Very impressed with this system! I'll be sure to report back.

Added a jedi mind trick Monti, gsp, and zoas today from our 20g.

Sunrise begins at 9 am... 15% blue, 10% white, 10% green

Daylight is 75% blue, 40% white

Sunset is 25% blue, 10% white, 10% red

Moonlight for 3 hours is 10% blue only.

Hope this is a decent lighting schedule. Any thoughts?

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on these lights!

20210504_130020.jpg
20210504_160708.jpg
Big fan of these lights. Great mixed reef lighting.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing the cuts I suspect a coping saw.. :)

Only cut away about 2/3rd of the lip..

Legomaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pair of curved lexan scissors. You can get them on amazon cheap or any hobby shop. They are used to cut out rc car bodies. They can notch out the plastic rim quick and easy without all the dust you would get from a dremmel. 16446871835722996642130626384812.jpg 16446872175125720449525608393807.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back