New Cycled Tank - Dead Fish Help!

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I recently began cycling my new Red Sea Reefer 350 with live sand, dry rock, bio spira, and did a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's ammonia. After cycling for about a week and half, my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I dosed the appropriate amount of ammonia nightly and the after 24 hours the ammonia and nitrite were both at zero. I went to my LFS and picked up two chromis and after about four days, they both died. Both of them were eating the first couple days and then began eating less and less. The two chromis were on the larger size which I hoped would better my chances. This left my puzzled. I also tossed in a couple snails to make sure the tank was indeed cycled, and the snails are still roaming around the tank. Again, I'm still very puzzled and confused. Any recommendations? Thanks!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are often caught with chemicals and arrive in a very unhealthy condition.

We hear more and more stories from people on here on a regular basis about this.

If your snails are alive, your fish should be fine.

Is there another type of fish you want to have?

If you provide a list of fish you want, we can help you decide the proper order to add.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are often caught with chemicals and arrive in a very unhealthy condition.

We hear more and more stories from people on here on a regular basis about this.

If your snails are alive, your fish should be fine.

Is there another type of fish you want to have?

If you provide a list of fish you want, we can help you decide the proper order to add.

Well I currently have fish in holding tanks from my other build. I have two percula clowns, but hesitant to add them. Hence why, I went with Chromis. Now seeing what happened to the Chromis, it makes me even more nervous to add the clowns. Should I do a large water change, before trying again?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need to do a water change since your snails are still alive.

Can you post all parameters you have tests for and possibly a tank pic?

I’m also going to ask for some more help

#reefsquad

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.
I’ve had most of my fish for years now. But in ten years , I haven’t been able to keep a chromis.

A fwiw , chromis appear to be a bit more fragile a fish in general, in a cycle started with fish , most will use clowns and damsels as they are pretty hardy. Although you went kinda fast on cycling , in don’t think ist has much to do with then cycle.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back