OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of nervous as I need to go on a 10 day work trip on Sunday and I’ll be away from tank for that time. Nervousness comes in if something happens to tank while I’m gone and having to talk one my kids through solving the issue. Nice thing is since I have everything connected to a smart strip I can turn on and off anything I need, and getting a bigger sump will pay off here if for some reason there was an overflow, sump can handle extra volume.

There is nothing in tank right now other than the Marco Rock and live sand. I tested yesterday and all looks good, zero ammonia, zero nitrite and 5ppm Nitrate. When I get back I’ll add my first 2 inhabitants, a pair of clowns. Don’t know about a CUC as there is not much to clean up, what would you guys recommend as far as adding CUC?

Here are some pics (sorry for the blue tint to them), I have my lights set on acclimation mode. I’ll be unplugging them when I leave as I don’t need them and don’t want algae to produce from them being on.

Attachments

• E84D5BCA-B0B3-4F97-A622-07B8B9CF2F34.jpeg
    E84D5BCA-B0B3-4F97-A622-07B8B9CF2F34.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 941300E6-0823-4B5A-BAE0-48E8A77DDF15.jpeg
    941300E6-0823-4B5A-BAE0-48E8A77DDF15.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 6D62D978-2291-4B11-BCF4-DF3C8FCEB9EA.jpeg
    6D62D978-2291-4B11-BCF4-DF3C8FCEB9EA.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 155

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

I have a lot of the same equipment in my setup and was thinking about the Nyos 120. How are you liking it so far?

Also I noticed that you are not using the Filter Socks. Are you using anything in that chamber and how noisy is it without the Filter Socks?

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

I have a lot of the same equipment in my setup and was thinking about the Nyos 120. How are you liking it so far?

Also I noticed that you are not using the Filter Socks. Are you using anything in that chamber and how noisy is it without the Filter Socks?
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the Nyos 120, when I first set it up, it looked like it was boiling water for first day or so (stupid me, I was running it using just RO water), once I added the salt, it started working fine. There is nothing to skim out right now as I have nothing in the tank (did skim out all the fine particle dust when I added my sand), but I will let you know how it is working out once I add life to the tank and waste starts to get produced.

As for the filter socks, I never intended to use filter socks, I hate the idea of having to replace them and/or wash them every now and then. I am using pinky filter pad in that chamber. Same issue with the skimmer, I have not had to replace the original pad I put in as there is not much to filter out or have the pad get clogged. As to how noisy it is, I find it to be not so much. Filter pad does help dampen the sound of the falling water into that chamber. Also, I will update on how this use of these pads works as I get life into the tank (which I plan to add first 2 inhabitants (2 Clown fish) this weekend when I get back from my work trip. I will also add CUC once I start producing some Algae for them to survive on.

On another note, I do think I will add a bio brick from Brightwell Aquatics to the chamber right before the return chamber. This is meant to be a refugium chamber but I will not set it up as such unless I start getting insane algae growth in main display. The bio brick will help with creating a home for beneficial bacteria. Will also add a piece of my live rock from established Nano tank this weekend to that chamber (Nano is going on 3+ years now).

I just ordered the Red Sea DIY Mesh Top Lid and will install it this weekend when i get the fish, don't want them jumping out. One last thing i do intend on getting is some sort of fan to connect to my InkBird, as tank is running about 80.5 to 81.3 right now (no fish in tank so not worried now), but it is summer and hot right now and my house has always run hot (have no AC), so I always go through these hot spells on my tank for about a month or 2.

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have first inhabitants in FC76. Passed over 4 frags I had in my 20 Gallon Nano (Candy Cane, Blasto, Acan and some Zoas) and added 2 clownfish today (Black Ocellaris and a Snowflake Ocellaris). Plan on adding fish about every 3-4 weeks and plan is to move over more of my coral from my 20 gallon to the 76. Have a Hammer and an Octospawn Coral I want to move over as well as a Gorgonian. Also have a pretty big Toadstool but I don't know if ill be able to remove him from the rock he is on, so I'll see about moving him over. Id take pictures of all but until I buy a filter for my iPhone camera, all pictures are really blue.

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank going? We ended up moving unexpectedly, so I’m waiting to set mine up until we move into our new house in November

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank going? We ended up moving unexpectedly, so I’m waiting to set mine up until we move into our new house in November
Tank is up and running now 2 months. Have begun stocking it up, currently have 2 tangs (Bristletooth and Tomini), 2 Clown fish (Snowflake and Black Ocellaris), six line wrasse and 2 engineer goby's. As for coral, i have one purple hammer frag, one green and purple hammer and one green and purple octospawn. 1 Gorgonian, a small colony of candy cane and a small colony of Blastos. 1 small colony of Red Acans and i just went to the West Coast Coral Farmers Market this Saturday in LA and picked up to more Acan frags, 2 rock flower anemones, 2 cyphastrea frags (Meteor shower and Bizarro) along with one branching cyphastrea. Also have a small birds nest frag (not doing to great) and a Monti DIgitata frag. Also, have a small Monti cap frag and 2 mushrooms, a huge neon green bounce mushroom and a small orange yuma. Also have a small LA Lakers Zoa frag along with a purple monster zoa frag. 1 neon green toadstool frag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my reef tank. The system is just coming up on 4 months from being setup and I’ve added quite a bit of frags to system (along some well established pieces from my 3 year old nano), now it’s just a wait and see approach. Attached is a pano shot of system. Also, I’ve attached a macro shot of what to the naked eye just look like small white specs and they are growing on rear panel and have some on sides and front panel. Would appreciate if someone can help me identify what these might be?

Attachments

• 0359F89F-74D7-4D6B-AC01-E917AFB449AB.jpeg
    0359F89F-74D7-4D6B-AC01-E917AFB449AB.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 110
  • E8447125-57EB-42A2-9DBE-1DD3E1A21870.jpeg
    E8447125-57EB-42A2-9DBE-1DD3E1A21870.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 139

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what's up with this build? I'm looking at this tank and am a bit confused with the plumbing. I'd prolly get an internal overflow so less bends needed but does the tank come with elbows or did you get a special kit? Where do you have to glue it? At the bends? At the bulkheads? Thanks in advance, post some pics maybe?!

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what's up with this build? I'm looking at this tank and am a bit confused with the plumbing. I'd prolly get an internal overflow so less bends needed but does the tank come with elbows or did you get a special kit? Where do you have to glue it? At the bends? At the bulkheads? Thanks in advance, post some pics maybe?!
Look in the history of this thread, I post pictures of all the plumbing parts and my journey through the build. All elbows and unions come in the kit. I purchased the entire combo which is tank/sump and accessories which includes all plumbing except for pipe (that you need to purchase yourself). As a rule of thumb, you glue everything that is not in contact with water. Tank is now going on 15 months of running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look in the history of this thread, I post pictures of all the plumbing parts and my journey through the build. All elbows and unions come in the kit. I purchased the entire combo which is tank/sump and accessories which includes all plumbing except for pipe (that you need to purchase yourself). As a rule of thumb, you glue everything that is not in contact with water. Tank is now going on 15 months of running.
Looks great thanks! I ordered the same thing. Would you mind letting me know what pvc you ordered? Or if it's in the thread I'll find it.

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great thanks! I ordered the same thing. Would you mind letting me know what pvc you ordered? Or if it's in the thread I'll find it.
First post of page 2 in string. I purchased all my pipe at Homedepot.com. The item is called Formufit.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First post of page 2 in string. I purchased all my pipe at Homedepot.com. The item is called Formufit.
I ordered the same amount of pvc, did you find that to be enough. Also, how did you move the tank around for the plumbing process. Thank you, you have no idea how helpful this thread is.

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the same amount of pvc, did you find that to be enough. Also, how did you move the tank around for the plumbing process. Thank you, you have no idea how helpful this thread is.
I found it just to be enough, was a little worried towards end but you might want to buy a little more because you are going to screw up some cuts. As to moving tank, I set tank up sideways so I could sit behind tank and work comfortably, of course there is no water in tank when doing all plumbing. Once done I just moved tank into place (I have tile floor, so no issue moving)

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it just to be enough, was a little worried towards end but you might want to buy a little more because you are going to screw up some cuts. As to moving tank, I set tank up sideways so I could sit behind tank and work comfortably, of course there is no water in tank when doing all plumbing. Once done I just moved tank into place (I have tile floor, so no issue moving)
Cool, mine will be on carpet maybe I can use cardboard underneath or something to help me slide it back when done

OP
OP
M

Mayacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, mine will be on carpet maybe I can use cardboard underneath or something to help me slide it back when done
There are some furniture move pads that you can buy and put under each point of contact which allows you to move tank freely on carpet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some furniture move pads that you can buy and put under each point of contact which allows you to move tank freely on carpet
I know myself and throughout this process I'm going to want to pester you about things that come up. If you would rather I don't I'd understand. Sometimes I ask too many questions it may get annoying but just let me know if it does

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back