New Fish advice

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I am starting up a new 120 gal tank, I am going through a fishless cycle and I have four fish in two 10 gal quarantine tanks.

I have had all four fish for a week now

I have a sailfin tang and royal gramma in one tank, they’re eating, swimming, doing just fine.

in the second tank I have a niger trigger and a bicolor blenny. The blenny is getting more comfortable and starting to explore the qt while the triggerfish is mastering his ninja skills of hiding in plain sight.

I am feeding nori on a clip, hikari frozen mysis, new life spectrum sinking pellets, and freeze dried shrimp by aqua delight (looks like small regular shrimps, type is not specified)

-The tang eats mysis, nori, and spectrum
-The gramma has so far only eaten mysis
-The blenny I haven’t seen actively eat but based on excrement size I’m guessing he is eating the nori at his leisure(I drop it rubber banded to a pvc pipe right in front of him)
-the niger trigger is my biggest concern, I have yet to see him swim out in the open or feed. I think I saw an excrement of his which I am basing on the size of the poo(if it turn out it was the blenny’s then it just impressed lol) all he does is hide in between the heater and the tank wall.

I feed all 4 types to the tanks and remove the uneaten food typically next day before the next feeding, not so much leftover with the tang and gramma but plenty with trigger and blenny.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there anything lacking from my provided diet to the fish?

2. is there anything I can do to entice the trigger eat? Obviously don’t want him to die but if he is going to be this finicky I rather return him

3. Any tips on how to rehydrate freeze dried shrimps properly? I soak it for a couple hours and they still float.

4. Any fish food recommendations that could appeal to all the fish I have that I can put in an automatic feeder?

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and a happy early new year to all!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add frozen foods such as LRS reef frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp

for trigger add meaty foods, live brine shrimp or ghost shrimp

for freeze dried. Soak several hours in tank or RODI water

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen clams and krill usually will work for the niger trigger. Let him settle in, nigers can be quite shy but will soon get comfortable and dominate a tank. Try some NORI soaked in garlic they do like some veggies added to their diet.

Usually overtime your able to get a lot of fish onto pellets and then you can get an automatic feeder to do the rest.

Back