New Fish Dying

turtlequack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently set up my first reef tank about a month and a half ago after years of being in to freshwater. 3 weeks ago after checking all of my parameters, I added my first fish. A pair of clowns, flame Hawkfish, a striped blenny and Coris wrasse. Everything seemed great, they were bought from my LFS, i acclimated them properly and a week later the Hawkfish died. I looked for signs of ich and marine velvet but they all seemed to act completely normal. I checked my parameters to make sure the addition of livestock didn't completely throw it out of whack and they still tested normal. I waited 2-3 weeks and decided to finish my addition of livestock after all of the beginning fish were still alive and showed no signs of distress or disease. I added a royal gramma and firefish. 3 days later, both dead in the same spot i found the flame hawk. My theory is that maybe the blenny is killing them? It's a 40 breeder and the blenny likes to hang out around this specific cave. Could it be that territorial that it'll kill other cave type fish? It is very frustrating to say the least but it is the only thing i can think of as they all turn up dead around that same area.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently set up my first reef tank about a month and a half ago after years of being in to freshwater. 3 weeks ago after checking all of my parameters, I added my first fish. A pair of clowns, flame Hawkfish, a striped blenny and Coris wrasse. Everything seemed great, they were bought from my LFS, i acclimated them properly and a week later the Hawkfish died. I looked for signs of ich and marine velvet but they all seemed to act completely normal. I checked my parameters to make sure the addition of livestock didn't completely throw it out of whack and they still tested normal. I waited 2-3 weeks and decided to finish my addition of livestock after all of the beginning fish were still alive and showed no signs of distress or disease. I added a royal gramma and firefish. 3 days later, both dead in the same spot i found the flame hawk. My theory is that maybe the blenny is killing them? It's a 40 breeder and the blenny likes to hang out around this specific cave. Could it be that territorial that it'll kill other cave type fish? It is very frustrating to say the least but it is the only thing i can think of as they all turn up dead around that same area.
I don't personally think blenny would do that. They Only attacks a fish if someone harass them. U can still leave camera and see what happens. If u doubt, add a bigger size fish.
#fishmedics

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say your parameters are good, what numbers are you getting for everything? What is your salinity and temperature and method of filtration? Also have you added any chemicals or water treatment and where are you getting the water for the tank from, rodi?

OP
OP
T

turtlequack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say your parameters are good, what numbers are you getting for everything? What is your salinity and temperature and method of filtration? Also have you added any chemicals or water treatment and where are you getting the water for the tank from, rodi?
Salinity is 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrate 5ppm, phosphate is 0.25, dKH 11, calcium, 400 ppm. Temp is 78F

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the fish in a medicated tank? Aggression would show signs of injury on the dead fish like torn fins

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think its too many fish added too fast, saltwater doesnt work like freshwater, need to go much slower in the salt hobby. Fish are also much more territorial than freshwater, saltwater fish need to be picked very carefully. Go slowly, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

OP
OP
T

turtlequack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heavy breathing, they were eating great and swimming around. The royal gramma was a bit shy and would hide sometimes but other than that it was pretty normal. My float acclimated them to the temp and then added water into the bag every 5-10 minutes until full.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back