New fish quarantine API general cure directions?

@Jay Hemdal just looked at the article thanks. When you say they can take up to14 plus days to hatch this is all temperature dependent correct? At normal aquarium temps 76-78 degrees isn’t it around 8-10 days?

Yes, common wisdom indicates that the eggs will hatch faster in warmer water, but the whole "time to hatch" is a tough variable to get a handle on. I typically use 8 days at 80 degrees as a baseline. Still, that doesn't always work, even when four treatments are used. I should add that in the end, I find that hyposalinity at a specific gravity of 1.012 for 30 days works best against Neo - that catches ALL unhatched eggs. However, that can only be done in a fish-only system, so prazi remains the only treatment choice for mixed fish and invert tanks....
 
Yes, common wisdom indicates that the eggs will hatch faster in warmer water, but the whole "time to hatch" is a tough variable to get a handle on. I typically use 8 days at 80 degrees as a baseline. Still, that doesn't always work, even when four treatments are used. I should add that in the end, I find that hyposalinity at a specific gravity of 1.012 for 30 days works best against Neo - that catches ALL unhatched eggs. However, that can only be done in a fish-only system, so prazi remains the only treatment choice for mixed fish and invert tanks....
@Jay Hemdal from what I have seen pure powdered praziquantal works much better then prazi pro in saltwater. It doesn’t have the issue with the glycol which causes oxygen issues for fish already struggling to breath along with the faster consuming bacteria which thrives much more with Prazi pros liquid formula causing blooms compared to the powder. As well you can overdose the powder version with little to no effects unlike prazi pro where it can cause serious oxygen issues.
 
@Jay Hemdal from what I have seen pure powdered praziquantal works much better then prazi pro in saltwater. It doesn’t have the issue with the glycol which causes oxygen issues for fish already struggling to breath along with the faster consuming bacteria which thrives much more with Prazi pros liquid formula causing blooms compared to the powder. As well you can overdose the powder version with little to no effects unlike prazi pro where it can cause serious oxygen issues.

Correct, using praziquantel with any solvent increases the risk of low oxygen levels due to heterotrophic bacteria blooms - glycol, DMSO or ethanol. With prazipro, additional aeration takes care of that issue. When dissolving it yourself, it’s easy to use too much solvent, and then even additional aeration won’t help.

I prefer using a fine mesh, like a brine shrimp net to disperse it into the water. If you watch closely, you’ll see that once’s the dissolved prazi hits the tank water, it comes right out of solution as a fine suspension anyway…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new