New glass frag tank

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 90's I built several acrylic frag tanks and sumps. I have been running one of the frag tanks and it started leaking last week. I pulled it from the system and repaired it. It still leaks. I am leaving for a week on December 20th and needed to get something quick. I ordered online 1/4 in. glass from Peninsula Glass in Vancouver. I live in The Dalles and my local glass shop wanted $112 vs. the $60 from Peninsula. I picked up the glass Thursday and with one tube of silicon and a bulkhead fitting I already had, I have my replacement 24 gal. frag tank.

If you look at the tank on the left in the picture below, it is my remote DSB and it over flows into the frag tank, and the frag tank drains to the sump. I cut up a trash can and put a drain on it to substitute for the old tank until I got this one ready.

The trash can is starting to bow out a little.

The new tank will go in tomorrow. I want if fully cured.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your procedure for making your own tanks?

I've read the horror stories of people making tanks for them to just fall apart 6 months later.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your procedure for making your own tanks?

I've read the horror stories of people making tanks for them to just fall apart 6 months later.

Really? Any examples?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Any examples?

Not that I can post. We had a local club member take on a 400 gallon tank with a leak. He felt confident in repairing the leak. I don't know what he did, so I can't comment on his procedure. However, this is one of those guys who will make more work just to do the job correctly. 6 months the tank sat with water while he was working on the other aspects of his setup. Well, about 2 months of getting corals in there, buying 4 radions and who knows how many t5s it sprung a leak in the back. He lost so many corals, so many SPS colonies.

There also was another club member that attempted to put together a 40-60g range tank and he said his only lasted 6 months or so after he put it together.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to build a tank you need to seal in between the glass. tank companies use little plastic spacers in between the joint so the sealant can hold them together.... personally I use fishing line then remove it when it starts to set up,just like when bonding acrylic.

when replacing the sealant on tanks you have to be careful that when you cut out the old sealant you dont cut into the seal between the tanks you also have to make sure to clean where the old sealant was....

it isnt hard but like everything, do lots of research first......

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to build a tank you need to seal in between the glass. tank companies use little plastic spacers in between the joint so the sealant can hold them together.... personally I use fishing line then remove it when it starts to set up,just like when bonding acrylic.

when replacing the sealant on tanks you have to be careful that when you cut out the old sealant you dont cut into the seal between the tanks you also have to make sure to clean where the old sealant was....

it isnt hard but like everything, do lots of research first......

I agree it probably isn't the hardest thing to do in the world, and yes, research would be crucial. However, I still don't feel like that's something I could do!

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as for failing, I don't worry too much. My water depth is only 11" and you can do that in a paper bag. Mainereefer is correct in that you need silicon between the edges.

Anyway its back in service.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back