New Haddon’s

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My wife purchased a Haddon’s Carpet Anemone, told me it was arriving today, then left for work.

So that’s an over exaggeration but pretty close…

This thing must weight 30lbs. They said it was 20” across. They lied. It’s a chungus. I noticed these lesions on its disk. It was well packaged and the temp was not crazy.

It’s working on placing its foot in the sand bed (I cleared more than 1/3 of the tank for it with just a sand bed and a Little Rock). One of my porcelain crab ditched its BTA and walked across the tank almost immediately to host it.

Seller says “don’t worry about lesions.” Husbandry skills are strong but if this thing dies it will be a mass extinction event in my tank.

335E6467-8FE9-4B64-AB9B-461D52425349.jpeg D7CCE8B7-1669-45C6-8636-5C29A5C2F6A0.jpeg DFA5605E-2C8B-47B6-A969-240D52922AEA.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on it.
If it does develop infection do you have a way to QT it and treat with cipro or something?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on it.
If it does develop infection do you have a way to QT it and treat with cipro or something?
What kind of Nem keeper would I be if I didn’t have cipro and a setup for BTA’s ;). This thing literally weighs 30lbs and must be 2’ + wide. I think I have Rubbermaid tote downstairs it would fit in.

I guess I’m complaining my wallet’s too fat here but I had no idea how big this thing was. I’ve owned dogs smaller than this.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My wife purchased a Haddon’s Carpet Anemone, told me it was arriving today, then left for work.

So that’s an over exaggeration but pretty close…

This thing must weight 30lbs. They said it was 20” across. They lied. It’s a chungus. I noticed these lesions on its disk. It was well packaged and the temp was not crazy.

It’s working on placing its foot in the sand bed (I cleared more than 1/3 of the tank for it with just a sand bed and a Little Rock). One of my porcelain crab ditched its BTA and walked across the tank almost immediately to host it.

Seller says “don’t worry about lesions.” Husbandry skills are strong but if this thing dies it will be a mass extinction event in my tank.

335E6467-8FE9-4B64-AB9B-461D52425349.jpeg D7CCE8B7-1669-45C6-8636-5C29A5C2F6A0.jpeg DFA5605E-2C8B-47B6-A969-240D52922AEA.jpeg
Very nice nem. I agree with the advice of monitor and be ready with cipro. It sounds like you know the drill. Some say to do cipro in advance just like QT for fish. I have had success both ways. I also have nothing else in my nem tank so I have used cipro in my nem display before.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

IME, be careful with cirpo and Haddonis. Only try if you absolutely have to, and use half the dose you’d use with a mag. I’ve had cipro, even low doses, trigger downward spirals in haddoni’s that they never came back from.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a beast. Cannot wait to see a full shot of it. Nice pick up.
Disclaimer: I’m not a photographer. Here it is this morning during the “viewing hour” part of the AB+ schedule. I thought I had some pretty bright corals but this thing is on a whole different level of bright. It seems to be a little closer to my gryre than I’d like but I haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe it’s in danger.

Attachments

• E468E120-861F-4C76-81FC-6FA5B49F1E88.jpeg
    E468E120-861F-4C76-81FC-6FA5B49F1E88.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5BBFDA70-9FF6-48BD-8D42-D939552068F8.jpeg
    5BBFDA70-9FF6-48BD-8D42-D939552068F8.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 71

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I wouldn't be too concerned about the lesions. Those are the type that usually heal pretty quickly. If they were near the mouth or foot, I'd be more concerned.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It passed away. It opened up and looked good but it’s mouth never fully closed. It went through periods of looking well then not looking well. It eventually lifted up its foot and tried to take a walk. It fully detached and got nicked by a Gyre. I placed it in the middle of the tank as a last ditch effort to save it. I called it when it became apparent it was dead.

it cost about $800.

My tank params are excellent to perfect. My lighting is more than sufficient. It didn’t really take to food. It had a pair of clowns hosting it. I would guess it wasn’t in a good way from the moment it hit me and just never fully bounced back.

it will be my last attempt at a carpet anemone.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It passed away. It opened up and looked good but it’s mouth never fully closed. It went through periods of looking well then not looking well. It eventually lifted up its foot and tried to take a walk. It fully detached and got nicked by a Gyre. I placed it in the middle of the tank as a last ditch effort to save it. I called it when it became apparent it was dead.

it cost about $800.

My tank params are excellent to perfect. My lighting is more than sufficient. It didn’t really take to food. It had a pair of clowns hosting it. I would guess it wasn’t in a good way from the moment it hit me and just never fully bounced back.

it will be my last attempt at a carpet anemone.
I am sorry to hear about your nem. I hate loosing live stock, and second the money lost as well. If you do want to try a Haddoni again, maybe try and get one from your LFS in your area. Make sure it is at the LFS for a few weeks first.

It sounds like it wasn't something about your set up or anything. We're you able to maybe work something out with the vendor due to the injury when you received it?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear about your nem. I hate loosing live stock, and second the money lost as well. If you do want to try a Haddoni again, maybe try and get one from your LFS in your area. Make sure it is at the LFS for a few weeks first.

It sounds like it wasn't something about your set up or anything. We're you able to maybe work something out with the vendor due to the injury when you received it?
Honestly it hit me really hard. Having something pulled from its home and put in my care I feel like I need to provide an equal/better life for it (constant light, no predators, plenty of food, great water quality) and when I fail it hits hard. I didn’t think to reach out to the vendor but I probably should have but arguing over money with loss of life involved never makes me feel good.

I wouldn’t buy an anemone from my LFS. There is a good store for fish here but corals and anemones largely come from swaps and Facebook. There isn’t anyone importing carpets.

move had such good luck with bubble tips (knock on wood).
In any case, thanks for your kind words and happy reefing!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it hit me really hard. Having something pulled from its home and put in my care I feel like I need to provide an equal/better life for it (constant light, no predators, plenty of food, great water quality) and when I fail it hits hard. I didn’t think to reach out to the vendor but I probably should have but arguing over money with loss of life involved never makes me feel good.

I wouldn’t buy an anemone from my LFS. There is a good store for fish here but corals and anemones largely come from swaps and Facebook. There isn’t anyone importing carpets.

move had such good luck with bubble tips (knock on wood).
In any case, thanks for your kind words and happy reefing!
You make excellent points. I feel the same way. Keep up your good work with BT nems! Happy Reefing to you too!

Oh this might make you feel a tad better....my Passer Angel ate my fully established beautiful and growing 600.00 Dragon Soul Torch. I am not a newbie and never saw a large Angel go after a Torch. That was a few months ago., still not over it. Also still have my passer. I love him and won't get rid of him.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back