New Here from Jersey.

sam demarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning
New here and just starting my Reef tank or what I hope will become my reef tank.

Aqueon 90 Gal with the mega overflow. (no more hob overflow)

Deep Blue Pro Maxx reef sump 100 (currently only live rock in sump and filter sock)

Rio 2500 Water pump

300 watt heater (located in sump)

2 Wave Maker JVP-101 800GPH.

1 Current Marine Orbit LED w/Loop and Pump control. (Still need to get their pumps)

40lbs Of Atlantic Coral Rock (Dry)

30 Pounds of Live rock from LFS.

Instant Ocean Hydrometer. (Need to upgrade to better)

Instant Ocean Sea Salt to start up.

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (when I start doing water changes)

I set the tank up on Easter added the live/dry rock. I placed a few pieces of live rock in sump. The LFS told me that the live rock had been in the tanks for a while so it was completely cured. No decaying matter. I let the tank run for a week only adding water as needed for evaporation.

Ammonia and Nitrite reading 0 a week later. I went to LFS yesterday. The drain hose for the Sump had a leak where it connects to the bulk head. LFS told me the hose that comes with the sump is notorious for cracking. The hose was not cracked it was leaking out the top at connection. I had even bought clamps for the connections. He gave me a new hose that fit better and all I needed to do was soak it it hot water to make it pliable and now that is perfect.

He explained I was not cycling due to the live rock being matured and the dry rock not having anything to decay also. I added 2 Domino Damsels and 2 blue/green Chromis to get it started. I tested the water this morning and ammonia and nitrite are still reading 0. I added Top Finn bacteria supplement yesterday before adding my fish. I will test daily to see if I see the spikes happen.

I purchased a Premier Aquarium Reef Water Filtration System | 75 GPD Reverse Osmosis RO/DI system for my replacement water and water changes.

I will now sit and watch everything as it matures. I am planning on adding a protein skimmer in the future. Purchasing the wave pumps for the Loop System so they can be automated. I want to give the dry rock time to get colonized with good bacteria. Once the tank has settled in after a few months and all seems stable I would like to add some beginner corals. Everyone says you need a clean up crew but don’t see a need at this point since they will have nothing to eat. Any advice will be appreciated. I will be going through the forums and reading and learning.
Thank you if you read through all this.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Please feel free to share pictures of your setup with us, we love pictures :)
ezgif-2-803adbe54bba.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

StartingLine.gif

It sounds like you are off to a good start!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Youre off to a great start with the nice equipment you listed. Im formerly New Jersey ( Clifton/Elmwood Park). Nice stores in Paramus off route 4.

Welcome-To-Our-Group-Header-Image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back