New here. Help needed ASAP!

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello nice to finally signed up and joining the reef2reef community.

My dad and I had fish & coral for last 1-2 years and often found advice on this forum. We have a few tanks. But mainly one dedicated for fish, and the other for coral. Things seem to be going well for a while. However problems doesn't seem so simple as most of my fishes in my DT have died from a combination of fluke, ich and velvet. Now I'm planning to start over and hope everything will be the best for fishes and corals...

First lets start with the coral tank. It is plagued with Aiptisas... and I bought some Aiptisa-X and also tried to put some Kasswasser directly onto those buggers and there is not much success. These things are not only growing on the liverocks but also on some corals (and killing it). I want to buy some Berghias but they are not available in my country (Hong Kong) and vendors won't ship them to me. I plan to dip all my liverocks in H2O2 but I know that it will only delay the spread of Aiptisas and will not be able to get rid of them permenantly.

Next I also have an algae problem, which is growing on my SPS. I have read that there is no way to get rid of it other than removal by hand. (unsuccessful attempt) . But they seem to be only attacking certain corals or certain parts of a coral. I have dipped one piece in a 50% H2O2 for 30 secs and the algae still remains. And I'm reluctant to dip any further as it seems that it may not be the solution to this. My PO4 levels are within range, and I also use API Algaefix, 2-3ml daily in 200L tank. Rest of the corals are OK. Just certain ones subject to algae problem. So I don't think adding more of this algae killer is the solution...

IMG_20201019_210243.jpg

IMG_20201019_210606.jpg

Also please see the picture below. What is that red spot growing on the coral? I tried scraping it and it doesn't come off. Hope it doesn't spread to other corals.

IMG_20201019_210646.jpg

Finally I am keeping SPS and LPS in the same tank and I am getting pH and kH swings from day to night. Could it be the reason why this coral is dying? It looks like it's calcifying. It's the first time I've seen it retracted and it looks it is in very poor shape.

IMG_20201019_210513.jpg

I also have a problem with Flukes. Somehow they got in both my coral and fish tank. Flukes don't affect the coral tank much, and I have put Prazipro in the coral tank hoping that they don't return in the future. I have surviving fishes (2 Tangs) in QT now with Waterlife Myaxin and Curpamine. But one fish is still suffering from fin rot, the other have ulcers on the head and body (pictures to follow). I'm thinking to give Myaxin for another week, and if they don't get better, then switch to Melafix. (what should be dosage by the way?)

---------------------

My final plan is to move the bigger LPS to the DT with the Tangs once they get better...

Last edited:

Shanel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Peppermint Shrimp. They eat Aiptasia. You could try some F-Aiptasia. Aiptasia can be hard to control so it may take a while. It would be helpful if you posted actual Po4, No3, PH & KH numbers and what test kit you are using. Red stuff looks like Cyanobacteria from the picture.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
200.gif

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help here asap please #reefsquad
I dosed my tank with 250 ml rodi water with 3 table spoons of disodium phosphate based on a calculator Randy Homles linked. I think I messed up - The whole tank is cloudy white like milk. Was I supposed to dose 1 ML at a time from the mixture? Its so confusing.

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your warm welcome. I forgot to ask another newb question. I have a frogfish. He ate all my other fishes before, so I had to toss him into my coral tank. Now he seems to be eating my coral. What should I do with him... I have heard that people can feed him using tweezers or something..

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help here asap please #reefsquad
I dosed my tank with 250 ml rodi water with 3 table spoons of disodium phosphate based on a calculator Randy Homles linked. I think I messed up - The whole tank is cloudy white like milk. Was I supposed to dose 1 ML at a time from the mixture? Its so confusing.

I usually dose together with my mixed salt water. but i put in around 10ml mixed solution at a time.

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be i a bit of a pickle. This is going to be a long post...

Let’s start with the fish.. all fish need to be removed from coral tank, and this must remain empty for 80 day (72 min). I don’t know how your “fish only” tank is set up, but depending on this, you may be able to add fish from coral tank to this and medicate that tank..if not you will have to remove all fish from both tanks into a separate tank, but this will need mature bio filter (which you could get from either tank, sponge floss etc) -I need more details of your setups...

Fish should be treated with a h202 dip on the way to the QT tank if you can. As this will alleviate immediate issues temporarily..

I would then use copper and api general cure together and that will sort fish problems.

As for coral tank, you have high nutrients else algae wouldn’t be growing...by removing the fish to a qt this will help reduce nutrients in the coral tank for the time being...I would use this time to do some watercahnges. (Don’t go crazy, just 20% a week to get the tank back on track-make sure to parameter correct the waterchange wateralso) this will reduce nutrients further, but you must still feed a small amounnt To the tank during the fallow period.. as for KH swings are you using a doser or calcium reactor to maintain all and calcium levels, (also what is your mag reading)

Aiptasia products only end up multiplying them...I had great success with a copperband and but I DO NOT suggest adding one with everything else going on

I’ll leave it here for now, and await further details / questions from you

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There is a great reefing community in Hong Kong that will be able to let you know what medicines and treatments are available there as well as what to do with fish that do not work in your tank any more.

@ScottR may be able to provide additional thoughts about reefing in Hong Kong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For flukes- prazi provor ruby rally reef pro
Give fish a freshwater dip also

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For aptasia .,, a blue face kleini butterfly Will wipe them out, and not bother coral snd they eat all foods

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back